Mobile SDSUfans.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile SDSUfans.com

I must say I've never done mobile web surfing before this week. This site looks sweet on a palm pilot. Good work filbert

Re: Mobile SDSUfans.com

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
    I must say I've never done mobile web surfing before this week. This site looks sweet on a palm pilot. Good work filbert
    Works fine in an iPod Touch, too... of course it has a browser that doesn't really require a "mobile" version in order to be usable.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It's sometimes better to be lucky than good
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Works fine in an iPod Touch, too... of course it has a browser that doesn't really require a "mobile" version in order to be usable.
        I love that about my Touch also, does anybody have an idea as to how to get the Argus Leader's web site not to default to the mobile version. I sent them an email, but the guy is on vacation and won't be back for a week.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          I love that about my Touch also, does anybody have an idea as to how to get the Argus Leader's web site not to default to the mobile version. I sent them an email, but the guy is on vacation and won't be back for a week.
          That's annoying, isn't it. They apparently think they're doing us a favor by defaulting to the mobile version. Anybody who has used mobile Safari knows you don't need (or necessarily want) mobile Web site versions.

It's their issue. When you visit a site, you're identifying your browser to the site. In this case, the user agent is mobile Safari. They then configure their server to provide an optimized version of the page to whatever browser you're using. They'd have to change their server configuration (at the Gannett Nevada data center) so it doesn't default to the mobile version.

Maybe it's an easy fix. Or since Gannett is standardizing all of its newspaper Web sites on the horrific, user-unfriendly interface that the Argus now uses (and centralizing on regional server farms) it could be impossible for the Sioux Falls Webmaster to change, assuming he even wants to.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I've found several sites that give you an option, I was just wondering if I couldn't find the option on the Argus site. Hopefully they will figure out that they should at least move to the option. The other thing I have noticed is that if I am sent a link to a story that is several days old, then it just brings up the full version. Oh well, not really that important in the overall picture of life.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Just received this email from the Argus:

When you navigate to the argusleader.com at the bottom of the mobile site is a link to to view the full site. Or you can bookmark this address: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage.

Guess I better look harder for the options.

Comment

Does anybody else have trouble viewing Terry V's argus blog on the mobile device. I can load the Argus mobile page just fine, but when i try to access the blog section it gives me messages about "unable to load, "script causing device to run slowly", etc. Is there a mobile version of their blog page? Or any other suggestions?
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I don't think the blogs are available on the mobile site, at least I could never get them to show up either. One more reason why I love my iPod touch.

Comment

Working...
                  X