Are there Summit League plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there Summit League plans?

I'm just wondering if there are any changes in the near future with the Summit League? Schools leaving? New schools coming in? It appears to me that some schools are having a tough time competing. It also appears to me that some schools aren't getting any fan interest for there teams.

Re: Are there Summit League plans?

You can read Terry's Blog and he has a summary of the President meetings. It will answer most of your questions in regard to the stability of the League.

Go State!!!
    Go Jacks!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
      You can read Terry's Blog and he has a summary of the President meetings. It will answer most of your questions in regard to the stability of the League.

Go State!!!
      Go Jacks!!!

Thank you Terry for keeping abreast on what is going on in the Summit. I think what the future holds for Centenary, SSU and ORU is of big interest to USD and UND. If all survive as the reports given at this years president's council suggests, then I would not see any expansion in the near future. What we may not realize in the Dakota's is the burden it puts on schools in Indiana, Michigan, Utah, and Louisana with the addition of two more Dakota schools. Right now, the BB schedules are set up to play NDSU and SDSU in one week or weekend. Adding two more would make it extra travel for the the Indiana, Michicigan, Utah schools with then two trips to the Dakota. If budgets are fragile, they would want to see more benefits by admitting USD and UND. Admission will not happen just to please the Coyote Crazies. LOL

Comment

Article in Fargo Forum on potential Summit League plans for the future and how UND and USD play into that: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

Comment

I came across the following post from NDSUGuy on the USD message board, crediting Hammersmith with pointing out a correction to the Fargo Forum story: IPFW is an AQ counter. I did not check the Bison media blog, the location of the Hammersmith comments according to NDSUGuy. I thought the comments from NDSUGuy were worth repeating:

There are however a few inaccuracies in Kolpack's story. These are listed below:

First, Kevin didn't realize that IPFW was already transitioning when the core member rules were established. Because of that, IPFW falls under an exception clause and is already a core member. That fact changes some of Kevin's points in his article.

Second, Kevin misunderstood the eight-year core member clock. He seems to think it started when the schools began their transitions; it doesn't. It only begins after the transition is complete and the school becomes an active member. NDSU's clock just started ticking a month ago, and both NDSU & SDSU won't become core members until 2016. That also affects Kevin's comment on Great West AQs. In the article, he states that the GWC will be eligible for its first AQs in 2015. The actual date is 2022(HBU's transition is seven years since they're coming from NAIA). I'm not counting football here. They could get an autobid in 2014 if they can find a sixth team because the rules are different for that sport.

With this information, Kevin might have written the story differently. He would have probably written about Chicago St. and UTPA as potential members. Since they are already core members, the Summit would likely turn to those schools if forced due the risk of losing the automatic qualifier.

All in all, it's a pretty good article and I thought that it would be interesting to USD followers. This is not intended as smack but as a decent update to the landscape of D1 conferences.

Thanks to poster Hammersmith on the Bison media blog for this info.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Grom, but not forgotten
            Posted 8/6/2008 8:56 AM CDT on argusleader.com
            Today, a train of thought …
            On July 10, the Great West – run by Summit League associate commissioner Ed Grom – announced that it would expand beyond football beginning in 2008-09. It seemed possible, then, that the conference could perhaps become a de facto feeder system for the Summit League should it want or need new members.
            But subsequent reports revealed that the affable Grom would leave the Summit League all together to run the Great West out of the Chicago area. Translation: He was either ready for a change or at least moderately confident that the pool of NCAA Division I Independents won’t dry up anytime soon. Factor in that decision, and me thinks it is more likely in the short term that the Great West will become a scheduling companion for the Summit League rather than a proving ground.
            “I think with the friendships and working relationships that have been built in my 12 years involved in the Mid-Con/Summit, I think there will be a great deal of cooperation in terms of scheduling and assistance from the Summit League,” Grom wrote in an email. “There are people at Summit schools that I have been very close to over the years and that will not change.”

Comment

Working...
            X