Bassett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bassett

Because as we all know, fans of a school or team HAVE to join the message boards. Sorry I didn't join sooner so I could have a mountain of posts to sit on like you. 1,243 posts. I don't think I have that much time on my hands. I hear that the outdoors are nice. I can't do any worse then the current staff. 20 loss seasons are where it is at.

Comment

Originally posted by tlk23 View Post
      Because as we all know, fans of a school or team HAVE to join the message boards. Sorry I didn't join sooner so I could have a mountain of posts to sit on like you. 1,243 posts. I don't think I have that much time on my hands. I hear that the outdoors are nice. I can't do any worse then the current staff. 20 loss seasons are where it is at.
      I could care less if you have 50 posts or 50,000. But, I do care about substance and good arguments. Both of which you are severally lacking. All you are doing is complaining.

Comment

Sorry if I am not impressed with the current crop of men's BB players currently on the rosters. Plus, no one will even know that Bassett is gone next season. I have backed my arguments up with stats and facts. Just becasue you may not agree with me doesn't make my arguement bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tlk23 View Post
          Sorry if I am not impressed with the current crop of men's BB players currently on the rosters. Plus, no one will even know that Bassett is gone next season. I have backed my arguments up with stats and facts. Just becasue you may not agree with me doesn't make my arguement bad.
          I don't necessarily disagree with everything you have said but the way you say it makes your argument a bad one. Take the advice thats been offered and keep your opinions on this topic to yourself.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I don't necessarily disagree with everything you have said but the way you say it makes your argument a bad one. Take the advice thats been offered and keep your opinions on this topic to yourself.
            I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinions regardless of who or how many.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
              Ding Ding Ding. We have a couple of losers also. Anyone who just joined a fan board in March of the current year and pretends to have all the answers for the basketball program is in reality, uninformed. And thats a fact.
              Man how I knew this argument was coming soon. This statement is just as ridiculous as the posts you all are debating about. The number of posts or date one joined this message board as a member has no bearing on their level of knowledge about our MBB program or any other program at SDSU. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

I agree that the preceding posts that everybody is now uptight about could have contained a little more "tact", but we surely can't discredit them because they aren't from veterans of the board. I agree with some of what tlk and jbn are saying, i think most of us might.

IMO, some members on the board need to sit back and realize that just because they visit here often it doesn't necessarily make their thoughts, opinions, or posts any more important or correct.
              Last edited by jackrabbit1979; 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

So by calling us losers thats makes your position automatically better than mine. Last time I checked I have participating on this board for a couple of years.

Comment

Ish. It's gettin' ugly/testy. A couple of things that seem fair to say:

1) We've hit a point with departures that we just can't say, "Well, no biggie. It won't happen again." Because we have a little track record of it happening. This latest situation, though, probably isn't reason to hit the panic button. I did think it was interesting, though, that Nagy said, in essence, that he liked Thomas but that Thomas might have a different take.

2) Equating DI men's and women's programs ... well, it's just not apples to apples. Sorry.

3) That being said, though, it's hard to make an argument that we'l captured the best local talent in the past dozen or so years. Maybe some of those guys didn't fit or weren't up to the DI task, but we should do better. And someday we need to keep one of the prized recruits that could go to a bigger school at home. And I'm not talking at USD.

Just a few thoughts from this end.
                  Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Dude..... guys, CALM DOWN....... Thomas Bassett wasn't a D-I type of player the coaches thought he could develop into a 3 and he didn't..... I think that if you are arguing the point of walk-ons 1 bad player and a medical redshirt player I think you are going too far...... Does the team have 10-12 mid-major D-I players no, but its kinda a catch 22 you have to win to get the better players but its hard to win without the better players...... What i saw this year I liked, I know most people thought it was a bad year which it was but you have to look at it deeper.
                    I saw a true point guard in Palarca I know he struggled at times this year but he has D-I ball handling skills and will only improve
                    I saw true D-I talent in Kai, Moss and Cordova
                    I saw that drive out of Callahan at times
                    I also saw Cassady I know it was only 3 games but he showed that ability to play the 3, he had outside game and the ability to take it to the basket, he fought inside. I've talked to guys that played with and against him and high school and they said he is a D-I player.....

I'm not going to say that this team is the o mighty greatful or that they are going to win the summit and go to the tournament what I am saying is that this team atleast has appeared to have turned the corner and for you guys to argue about a walk on or 1 player whether he is D-I talent is a joke....

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
                      I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinions regardless of who or how many.
                      Didn't say anything about entitlement to opinion. Just suggested that this forum might not be the best place to voice those opinions. Its this lack of understanding from some that leads to pointless arguments as defined by this thread. Again, thats my opinion on the matter.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Brian Norberg, who's also on that list of the last 15 players of the year in South Dakota, was a very productive Jack, too. But overall I don't think that list (discussed a couple of pages ago) means much. Nor does the loss of Thomas Bassett.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

[QUOTE=joeboo22;82225]Dude..... guys, CALM DOWN....... Thomas Bassett wasn't a D-I type of player the coaches thought he could develop into a 3 and he didn't..... I think that if you are arguing the point of walk-ons 1 bad player and a medical redshirt player I think you are going too far...... Does the team have 10-12 mid-major D-I players no, but its kinda a catch 22 you have to win to get the better players but its hard to win without the better players...... What i saw this year I liked, I know most people thought it was a bad year which it was but you have to look at it deeper.
                          I saw a true point guard in Palarca I know he struggled at times this year but he has D-I ball handling skills and will only improve
                          I saw true D-I talent in Kai, Moss and Cordova
                          I saw that drive out of Callahan at times
                          I also saw Cassady...

Bassett doesn't have the DI body/ability. He's too short to play down low and not athletic enough to play the perimeter. His outside shot wasn't quit there either.
                          Arguing about cutting 3 walk-ons is foolish. A couple years ago the team needed football players to practice/play. Why cut people who want to help the team without a scholarship? (I don't worry about # of posts or time on the board. This just doesn't make sense if you were around 2 years ago.)
                          The medical red-shirt played 3 games. In those games, he averaged as many points and rebounds like Dale Moss did. He also shot really well from the floor. Why cut somebody who got injured? You haven't even give him a chance.
                          1 "bad" player- So a player hasn't developed like we hoped he would. I think every team has that. Some time coaches take chances on tall players. They normally need a couple year to get stronger and faster. DI ball isn't like High School. You can't just sit in the lane and get blocks and rebounds. If you get the ball down low, some teams don't have players that can stop you.
                          I wonder how long coaches would keep their jobs if they just cut players because they didn't develop in year 1 or 2. How many recruits would want to go play there?
                          I wish Palarca and Moss had a better outside shot. They both bring different skills to the team. Palarca has ball handling and pressure. Moss has defense, quickness and rebounding.
                          This team is as good as it's been since the move to DI. If you watched them the last 4 years, you'd see the improvement.

Comment

I think some of those dissing Mackenzie Casey are going to very surprised on what he will bring to the team next year. He had some very good games against quality competition that may not show up in the stats that most people pay attention too and will bring a level of confidence and maturity that we lacked on the perimiter this last year.

Comment

Tried again to take Jackmd's advice and keep my opinions to myself but I just can't! Besdies, it's a public opinion board right?

My thoughts on Bassett -- Who? I kinda question why he was here in the first place? Didn't have the physical attributes, game, or mentality of a D1 player before he got here so I don't know why anybody thought he would change once he got here....

Read this next part very carefully: Mackenzie Casey IS NOT the answer to any of our guard problems! For a couple of year, he was a big part OF the problem.

Engen sucked when he got here and hasn't got any better since...and that's pretty obvious. I don't know him personally but he seems like a nice kid who doesn't have what it takes to compete or even contribute at this level. If he was just one of the tall, white kids sitting WAY, WAY down on the end of our bench, then we might be on to something

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the overall talent level on our squad right now is very, very subpar; hence the 20+ losses year after year. Losing and the inability to play at this level leads to all the defections...think about it -- if you were in way over your head at your job, everybody around you was consistently better than you (and by a fairly large margin), had thousands of people who pay attention to how you perform at that job, and were only about 18-22, you would seriously consider switching jobs as well!

We have only about 3-4 D1 caliber players currently with maybe another 2 who can spot contribute....unfortunately, none of them are particularly big or handle the ball very well! Until recruiting gets much better, this is going to be a re-occuring thread!

Now, time for my unhumble opinion as to why the program is struggling...money! If we could afford to pay GOOD assistant coaches, Nagy could hire somebody capable (preferably somebody as good at their D1 assistant coaching job as Margenthaler was at his D2 assistant coaching job -- it's a relative thing but I think you get what I'm saying) b/c let's face it, Nagy is a good head coach and program steward but it's obvious by now that he struggles on the recruiting trail! I'm not saying it's time for him to go b/c he's proven he can win with good players but we haven't had good players since Margenthaler left - lots of good kids who represent SDSU very well but not good enough basketball players!. Once our program can afford to pay enough and good assistant coaches, we are just spinning our wheels! This proposed offense is definately part of the answer but we do need the player to excute it so let's stay patient with that....right now we don't have ANWHERE near the level of guard play we need to make it work!

I know some people on here aren't posting popular or 'positive' thoughts/complaints but seriously people, they are entitled to their own opinions and almost all of them are dead on! Take off the rose colored glasses long enought to realize our men's program is barely a shadow of it's former self!

Oh yeah, and FYI: Louie Legend would have been a great D2 player and will be a marginal D1 player at best; Schilling is the real deal and will prove it over the next 4 years (if would have tried to play D1 ball, he would have been a very solid contributor his whole career!); and let's be honest about Iverson - we never had a shot at that kid; he was just way to good!

All that being said, I'm still and will always remain a Rabbit to the bone!!!

GO RABBITS!!
                              Live & Breath Yellow, Bleed Blue! GO RABBITS!

Comment

WOW, enormous rep points for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X