Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The move to Division I. Five years later

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    This is, I think, why resuming The Rivalry is so important (bordering on critical) for USD and its followers and media cheerleaders such as Stu, while it is not anywhere near as appealing for SDSU. If some of USD's teams can win their Rivalry Games, then it takes a bit of the pressure off of USD to, institutionally, match SDSU's broad record of a successful transition. It is a short-cut to D-I legitimacy for USD. If I were in the USD camp I'd be beating the drum to resume the rivalry, too.
    While Filbert's post as a whole was worthy of rep points from me, I belive this is the most important part of his post. USD needs to resume the rivalry with us a lot more than we need them. All the more reason not to grant them their wish. I don't think they are going to have such a generous relationship with UND as SDSU did with NDSU. All the more reason they want to start playing us again.

Comment

I should also have mentioned that the reason why SDSU's transition went so well is because of the thousands of dedicated people--administrators, staff, faculty, students, alumni, backers, fans, and friends of SDSU who all pulled together and made it happen, and are continuing to make it happen.

This here little Internet board does our small part, by building and holding the interest of the fanatics (and our friendly rivals) who visit here. So a goodly portion of the credit goes to our good friend Tony of Bisonville, who started the SDSU board in the beginning.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I know for a fact, ndsu does not want to do und any favors....the words I heard...."we don't need them! We fill the seats without them."
        Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
        Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          I should also have mentioned that the reason why SDSU's transition went so well is because of the thousands of dedicated people--administrators, staff, faculty, students, alumni, backers, fans, and friends of SDSU who all pulled together and made it happen, and are continuing to make it happen.

This here little Internet board does our small part, by building and holding the interest of the fanatics (and our friendly rivals) who visit here. So a goodly portion of the credit goes to our good friend Tony of Bisonville, who started the SDSU board in the beginning.
          I could not have said it so briefly and properly. What any one else not connected to SDSU says in a negative vain, is meaningless now as SDSU seems to know where they are going.

I have photo copied the entire Carr Report from the reserve copy on file at Briggs. Carr does make it rather plain about finding a conference as a priority in making the transition. I tend to believe he made that recommendation based on his past consulting experience with schools who were stuck being independants for a long period of time. It was not a good experience I suspect for those schools that Carr worked with, but at the same time, President Miller could not get people to talk to her about conference membership unless SDSU submitted a NCAA D1 application. This is why she made the move before finding a conference. She risked being shot down by many people, including the BOR. She was in fact trying to follow the blue print aka the Carr Study but did so with this one exception for which she got much unfair criticism. I believe Stu even commented on her Kentucky accent, which is as low as you can get.

She was in a catch 22 situation, and this is what has bothered me to no end, and the Argus sports staff kept needling away in their opinion columns in a self righteous manner, masquarading their opinions as legitiment questions. If I had the time and money I could go to the Argus Archive and find more specific articles that support my point. Its not worth it though now.

Yes Randell Beck supported SDSU, but he apparently did not have a vice gripe on what his sport columnist(s) wrote five years ago, and that is what started this thread. Mick Gerry's thoughts that are totally wrong and meaningless at this point in time. Its where SDSU is now going that counts. It could not be better as I see it. My thanks are also extended to Tony C for helping this board getting started. I first came across Tony and his balanced posts read when there was a thing called Egroups and specifcally one designed for D2 football fans. That was a precessor to D2.FOOTBALL.COM
          Last edited by Nidaros; 03-27-2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll put Terry's article here:

http://beta.argusleader.com/apps/pbc...03/1002/SPORTS

Very interesting read...one that I'm sure all the folks that pine for the D-II days back are rolling their eyes at and saying..."that can't be".

Then make sure you follow it up by reading TV's latest blog entry.
            http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

This is the best part!!

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
            X