Louie Krogman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louie Krogman

Looks like Louie Krogman will break the all time scoring record for South Dakota High School Basketball tonight. He needs 22 points to do it and White Lake is playing at the Lakota Nations tournament in Rapid City. Playing Pine Ridge tonight.

If he's already breaking the record this early in the year then the record is going to be shattered. Could be many many years before Louie's record is ever broken.

Congratulations to Louie.

Re: Louie Krogman

Anyone feel like doing a search into how many players in high school history have eclipsed the 3000 point mark? Can't be more than 25-30 all-time. Krogman will get there by the new year. Pretty impressive. I've only seen him play via the SD high school athletic association website during last year's state tourney, but he sure is fun to watch. I think he'll have a fine college career.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
      Anyone feel like doing a search into how many players in high school history have eclipsed the 3000 point mark? Can't be more than 25-30 all-time. Krogman will get there by the new year. Pretty impressive. I've only seen him play via the SD high school athletic association website during last year's state tourney, but he sure is fun to watch. I think he'll have a fine college career.
      Actually...Just doing a little research and I have found.
      http://www.khsaa.org/records/basketb...sbkrecords.pdf Kentucky has 28 people with 3000 or more points. Among the notables Tim Couch, Clem Haskins.
      http://members.cox.net/tigerdsl/labc...ds_scoring.htm
      Louisiana has 11 including 6,702 career points by Greg Procell.
      http://www.pahoops.org/B1000.htm
      3 in Pennslyvania.
      http://www.nchsaa.org/pdf/5473B.pdf
      North Carolina has only one.
      Arkansas has Bennie Fuller at 4,896 points(School for the Deaf), 1968-71.

Comment

Toot-toot on Minnesota's horn

Three boys over 3,000 career

3366Isaiah Dahlman, Braham, '06 (Nat'l)
        3292Joel McDonald, Chisholm, '91 (Nat'l)
        3013Jake Sullivan, Tartan, '00

Five girls over 3,000 career
        3694Katie Ohm, Elgin-Millville, '05
        3300Megan Taylor, Roseau, '97
        3129Janet Karvonen, New York Mills, '80
        3037Susan King, Academy of Holy Angels, '00
        3036Kierah Kimbrough, Badger-Greenbush-Middle River, '05 (Nat'l)

http://www.infolink.morris.mn.us/~mattnet/
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Can anyone find the top 10 all time career scorers in South Dakota history? I would be interested to know who is behind Jacobsen.

Comment

I know I'm behind Jacobson -- far behind. (I scored "0" -- didn't even go out!).

Jacobson's point production is amazing -- there was no three-point shot. Jacobson went to to be a highly successful coach of the Northwestern College Red Raiders from Orange City, IA. I saw a couple of his teams play in the early 70s and they were a lot of fun (I watched the Red Raiders win at Frost).

I do not recall when the three-point shot was first used in SD high school ball but everyone on the top scoring list who played prior to the three-point shot rule should have an asterisk by their name.

Comment

I believe the 3 point line came in effect in 88 but I am guessing.....

Comment

Being a Lake Norden native I would prefer that Don's record never be broken. That said, Louie has been a prolific scorer. I'm glad he'll break the record soon so the focus can shift to other issues. However, I will miss hearing Lake Norden so often from so many different sources.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

totally off the subject of this thread...but, I'd be willing to bet that the towns that now make up Hamlin High School, until the consolidation took place, produced better athletes on a per capita basis than any comparable region in the state. Bryant, Lake Norden, Hayti...even little Hazel had some days in the limelight. There are some famous athletes from those towns.

Comment

No one is surprised that Louie broke Jake's record. I like Jakes comment's about someone getting Louie the ball in order to shoot and these people deserve recognition too.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...40/1135/SPORTS

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...30/1002/SPORTS

As far as the old days and Jake, I don't think we would find a more humble person. I think before he started his grad assistantship at SDSU, he worked for the Farm Dept on campus and drove the ground feed truck just to pick up some income. I think that was after he tried out with Syracuse of the NBA. I second comments about old days of Hamlin County basketball. Everyone in eastern SD respected those teams. SDSU got some good consistant people out of Hamlin, Harley Peterson, Hayti, Don and Dale Jacobsen and later the Browns and of course Mark Tetzlaff.

Good luck Louie Krogman at USD. I not sure how Boots will use Krogman, but for sure Krogman will have to learn to play defense as well as to score.

Comment

He done broke it.

Free throw gives Krogman record
                      By Stu Whitney
                      swhitney@argusleader.com
                      PrintComment PrintPrint EmailEmail
                      PUBLISHED: December 21, 2007

RAPID CITY - After all the sound and fury surrounding Louie Krogman's hunt for history, it all came down to a free throw.

Standing alone at the charity stripe late in the first half Thursday night, Krogman had already scored 22 points to draw even with South Dakota's all-time boys basketball scoring record.

The White River senior needed one more to reach 2,826 points for his career - breaking the fabled 50-year-old mark set by former Lake Norden standout Don Jacobsen.

The moment was greeted with proper reverence by a Lakota Nation Invitational crowd of about 4,500 at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.

The fans stood and cheered. Then they were silent. Flashbulbs sparkled like Christmas lights. And Krogman missed.

Wait. How did that happen?

"I was kind of freaking out," says Krogman, who was left alone at the free-throw line as the other players ceded the spotlight.

"Everybody was yelling and screaming, they made the announcement (that he tied the mark), and I just got nervous. I guess I knew how big of a deal it really was."

On the second free throw, Krogman said, "I don't even think I shot. I think I just tried to muscle it in."

The ball danced on the rim for a few heartbeats and fell through, thrilling the crowd and sending Krogman running to the front row to hug his parents, Steve and Leigh.

The ensuing 15-minute celebration included a videotaped message from Jacobsen, who left Lake Norden in 1957 and enjoyed a stellar career at South Dakota State.

"It was just a matter of time," said Jacobsen, who joked that Krogman's "one mistake in life" was choosing to attend the University of South Dakota.......

full article here

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...712210335/1002
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Before the weekend, Krogman had something like 280 3 pointers in his career, but Jacobson played more games each season. I wonder if someone much better at math could figure out how to do a comparison. I think if you reduce Louie's pt total by the number of three pointers, but add his seasonal average for the number of fewer games each year you would be close. Even so, with him passing on the points so early in the year, barring any injury, he would have passed the record without three pointers before the season was over.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Three of the top 5 scorer's at SDSU are from these towns.

Don Jacobsen-Lake Norden

Steve Brown-Bryant

Mark Tetzlaff-Hayti
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
                            "It was just a matter of time," said Jacobsen, who joked that Krogman's "one mistake in life" was choosing to attend the University of South Dakota.......
                            Beautiful!
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
                              I don't think Jake was joking.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X