0-3???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 0-3???

As noted in the Announcements section, under the Banned Users thread, the ban on Mavericks_Rock which I noted last evening, has been lifted.
    Mavericks_Rock contacted me and I reconsidered the ban and concluded it was not the right sanction, all things considered.

Other user ids which appear to have been set up by Mavericks_Rock remain banned.

Smack away.

JackJD
    Last edited by JackJD; 09-19-2007, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
      Did I forget to mention that it was a DIVISION ONE conference?

Never answered my question about the World-Herald... What? Isn't the fact you're the TOP RANKED team in the nation impressive enough for the W-H?

Oh wait, you're only division 2... you don't matter.

Omaha World Herald....Scoreboard

UNO has moved steadily up the rankings while starting the football season 3-0.

But while the Mavericks have landed at No. 5 in at least two rankings and at No. 6 in the American Football Coaches Association poll, they are ranked No. 1 in Division II by the College Sports Report.

"For starters, just look at the quality of their schedule, and what the teams they have beaten have done," said Brad Dopke, who oversees the ratings for collegesportsreport.com. "Those are three quality football teams, and when you compare UNO to the other teams that are undefeated in Division II, nobody right now is playing better or deserves to be ranked No. 1 more."

UNO's victories have come over the University of Nebraska at Kearney, Northwest Missouri State and Western Washington.

While Northwest was the consensus No. 2 team in the country before losing 25-21 to UNO, the Mavs gained additional respect because of back-to-back wins by UNK and the fact that the Mavs thumped a Western Washington team coming off a quality win over Division I-AA Cal-Davis. Also, Dopke said, UNK's 61-0 win over Fort Lewis is comparable to the 49-0 win I-AA Montana had over the same team.

Dopke put UNO ahead of No. 2 Grand Valley State - which has won four of the last five championships, including two in a row. He also dropped former No. 1 Delta State to sixth after its narrow 9-7 win over Henderson State that included two blocked field goals late in the fourth quarter. The Mavs jumped from sixth to first.

"I do not subscribe to that Beano Cook crap, that the rankings have to stand pat after a team wins a game," the Chicago-based Dopke said. "Delta State escaped by the skin of its teeth. I don't think (Grand Valley) has the playmakers in place that it has in the past and I like the kid under center (quarterback Zach Miller) at UNO, so we decided to go with UNO."

UNO was ranked No. 1 for three weeks in the coaches' poll in 1980 but has never reached No. 1 since. It was ranked No. 2 at the end of the 1984 season.

Dopke said he started College Sports Report in the mid-1990s and had rated a "Route 66" of Division II teams for six or seven years. This is the first year that he is rating all Division II teams from 1 through 148.

The Mavs, preparing for Saturday's 6 p.m. game at Augustana (2-2), are taking this No. 1 rating in stride.

"I guess I don't have any reaction to it," UNO coach Pat Behrns said. "Ask me after nine more weeks. It's awful nice of them. But I guess it just puts a bigger target on your back."

Comment

But it isn't front page, is it? Today's front page probably has some commentary about Callahan and how Nebraska did better under the option....

Like I said... d-2... back o' the bus!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
          But it isn't front page, is it? Today's front page probably has some commentary about Callahan and how Nebraska did better under the option....

Like I said... d-2... back o' the bus!
          Check out http://www.omaha.com. Front page, nothing. Sports page, Husker football, Husker volleyball, high school volleyball, (keep scrolling) Creighton soccer, cartoon ... uno=nothing
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Boy, that's gotta be a burn... when high school volleyball makes the website and UNO doesn't!

I guess we know where Omaha's loyalties lie!

(By the way, I read two very nice articles about SDSU in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader today. One concerned the expansion of the FCS playoffs and how that would affect SDSU. The other talks about the Gateway and how they're doing this year against Great West Schools. What do both have in common? One is a conference SDSU is in now, the other is where we'll be next year.... Gee, only two SDSU stories in today's paper... Terry must be having an off day! )
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatewayrabbit View Post
              I love how you base how good USD is on another team, UND. Can we declare how strong SDSU's FB program is based on NDSU. They went 1-1 against FBS (I-A) teams last year and should have went 2-0, so with your logic FCS is as good as FBS. I suppose you will say now that since UNI beat Iowa State and Iowa State beat Iowa that Iowa and Iowa State would finish middle of the pack in the NCC. Once again if the NCC is so great why will it be six feet under in one year? It decided to dissolve when USD decided to go D-1.

Where did I mention USD in this post? I don't think I did.
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

In other news, SDSU is not ranked in D-III or the NAIA. That's not smack and pointing out that SDSU is not ranked in D-II, as SDSU is D-I. Had the Mavbots not presented this information to us, we have have, like the rest of the country, never have heard where UNO ranked in the D-II poll.

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX1 View Post
                  In other news, SDSU is not ranked in D-III or the NAIA. That's not smack and pointing out that SDSU is not ranked in D-II, as SDSU is D-I. Had the Mavbots not presented this information to us, we have have, like the rest of the country, never have heard where UNO ranked in the D-II poll.

Oh yeah, and the FCS polls are real visible as well. They are stuck in the back of the newspaper next to the D2 poll.

Comment

The FCS gets vastly more media coverage than does D-II, but it is easy to get more coverage than zero. I can go on to ESPN, CNNSI and get all the FCS scores, recaps and writeups on the FCS games. Want to get some information on D-II games? You REALLY have to dig to find it.

Comment

Seriously... who is UNO? Isn't that a card game?
                      Last edited by NDSUstudent; 09-28-2007, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUstudent View Post
                        Seriously... who is UNO? Isn't that card game?
                        It's also a pizzeria. Welcome to the board, NDSUstudent!

Heck, Chadron State gets more media attention than UNO.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ord/index.html

Comment

Damn good pizza!!!!!

Great card game!!!!!

Bottom of the barrel university!!!!!

These frickin' mavbots only hang out here because they get more press on our chatline than they do anywhere in Nebraska!

That has just got to be a painful existence!

Happy Hobo Days to the mavbots and all of the Jackrabbit Nation!

BTW-how did UNO do last week? Didn't see it on the scroll on any of the major networks!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Thanks NightHawk! Is the relationship between SDSU and USD the same as NDSU and UND? I only asked that because SDSU fans seem to have way more class than UND fans.

You probably heard this before but when we were playing Sam Houston a penalty was called on South Dakota State and undoubtedly the FargoDome erupted in boos.

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUstudent View Post
                              Thanks NightHawk! Is the relationship between SDSU and USD the same as NDSU and UND? I only asked that because SDSU fans seem to have way more class than UND fans.

You probably heard this before but when we were playing Sam Houston a penalty was called on South Dakota State and undoubtedly the FargoDome erupted in boos.

?????????????

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                                ?????????????
                                Once or twice, the refs(Gateway, I think) mixed up the names and called fouls on South Dakota State rather than North Dakota State. Each time, the crowd booed and the PA announcer "corrected" the ref with a loud "Foul on NORTH Dakota State". One of our coaches had a quick word with the ref and got him to say the correct school for the rest of the night. It was pretty funny if you were there.

It was kinda like that WIU student announcer that kept calling you guys San Diego State.

Comment

Working...
                                X