What bells & whistles should the new board have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What bells & whistles should the new board have

Does the board have an RSS feed? I searched and didn't find one.

I use a widget that keeps track of the boards I read and I'd like to add this one.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Does the board have an RSS feed? I searched and didn't find one.

I use a widget that keeps track of the boards I read and I'd like to add this one.
      Yes it does, but I'll have to go look to see if I turned it on.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

RSS feed now turned on . . . from the FAQ:
        RSS 0.91 - This feed is based on a standard written by netscape and provides a link and the title of the thread.
        http://sdsufans.com/board/external.php?type=rssRSS 2.0 - This feed contains title, author, date and the contents of the first post of the thread.
        http://sdsufans.com/board/external.php?type=rss2
        Looks like it works (at least the 2.0 one . . . )
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The Texas Sate board has the school fight song. How 'bout being able to play "Ring the Bells" and/or "Yellow and Blue" for a bell/whistle. I love bells and whistles!
          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I just wanted to see if these emoticon's would work.

Guess so.
            Last edited by NorCalJack; 09-29-2007, 01:12 AM.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I was just wondering if you could put something on the page that would allow me to read all the posts on one page. On the old sight there was a "read all" icon. On this one when I am away for awhile and come back to read the posts I have to keep going to the next page.

Just one thing I would like to see on this sight. Otherwise I think it is great what you are doing for the Jackrabbit nation.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                I was just wondering if you could put something on the page that would allow me to read all the posts on one page. On the old sight there was a "read all" icon. On this one when I am away for awhile and come back to read the posts I have to keep going to the next page.

Just one thing I would like to see on this sight. Otherwise I think it is great what you are doing for the Jackrabbit nation.

Thank you.
                One thing you can do is increase the number of posts per page. Click 'User CP' in the top blue bar. Along the left side of the screen, click on 'Edit Options'. In the third section, 'Thread Display Options', change the 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' setting from 'Use Forum Default' to 'Show 40 Posts Per Page'. Occasionally, you still may need to go to the next page for very active threads, but this should help.

Comment

What about a retired game day thread for past games so no one has to search through specific sports threads to find what they want?

Comment

How about the ability to post HTML code so we could embed YouTube videos in posts?
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      How about the ability to post HTML code so we could embed YouTube videos in posts?
                      I'm inclined against this one. From what I understand, embedded HTML like YouTube is a security problem waiting to happen, especially on a board that basically allows just about anyone to sign up and get a user id.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        I'm inclined against this one. From what I understand, embedded HTML like YouTube is a security problem waiting to happen, especially on a board that basically allows just about anyone to sign up and get a user id.
                        Filbert - you would be correct on this one as I dabble in computer programming. It would be cool to be able to embed stuff like YouTube videos and such but you open a big hole for somone to breah security or just wreak havoc with one line of code.

An example would if someone embedded this as javascript:

Code:
                        this.close()
                        then your IE window would suddenly close when a user navigated to the thread page with that posting in it.

Comment

Can we add a poll function again?
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                            Can we add a poll function again?
                            Already there. When you start a thread you're offered "Additional Options" towards the bottom of the page. One of the options is "start a poll."

If that's not showing up for everyone I need to tweak the permissions a bit.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

How about Boosting the Private Message load from 50 to 100?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                Filbert - you would be correct on this one as I dabble in computer programming. It would be cool to be able to embed stuff like YouTube videos and such but you open a big hole for somone to breah security or just wreak havoc with one line of code.

An example would if someone embedded this as javascript:

Code:
                                this.close()
                                then your IE window would suddenly close when a user navigated to the thread page with that posting in it.
                                Yeah, except that's not what I was talking about. I teach new media courses, so I'm pretty familiar with this stuff. By enabling html code, I meant just html, not higher level code like javascript. Most bulletin board systems are smart enough to parse text looking for html code (and limiting what code can be used) while ignoring javascript or other malicious code. vBulletin is actually one of the best at that.

For example, vBulletin allows administrators to create custom formatting codes.

Read this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199304

So an administrator can create a [youtube] tagset that allows only the embedding of YouTube videos.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X