Re: What bells & whistles should the new board hav

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
    Automatic threadkiller button
    Heh.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Three comments/sugestions if you decide to move to vBulletin:

1: To fix the unread thread marking issue, change the following setting in the Admin control panel:
      AdminCP>vBulletin Options>General Settings>Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
      Change from "Inactivity/Cookie Based" to "Database (automatic forum marking)"

2. To discourage spam, make changes in the following location:
      AdminCP>vBulletin Options>Image Settings
      If your server supports True Type fonts, change the "Image Verification Library" setting from "GD (Simple Font)" to "GD (True Type Font)" and then check all the boxes in the next section except "Random Shapes". If your server does not support True Type fonts, leave the first setting alone but check "Random Shapes" as well as the others.

3. Allow a little more time for posters to modify their posts without notification by changing the following setting:
      AdminCP>vBulletin Options>Message Posting and Editing Options>Time to Wait Before Starting to Display 'Edited by...'
      Change from default 2 minutes to something like 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith
        Three comments/sugestions if you decide to move to vBulletin:

1: To fix the unread thread marking issue, change the following setting in the Admin control panel:
        AdminCP>vBulletin Options>General Settings>Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
        Change from "Inactivity/Cookie Based" to "Database (automatic forum marking)"

2. To discourage spam, make changes in the following location:
        AdminCP>vBulletin Options>Image Settings
        If your server supports True Type fonts, change the "Image Verification Library" setting from "GD (Simple Font)" to "GD (True Type Font)" and then check all the boxes in the next section except "Random Shapes". If your server does not support True Type fonts, leave the first setting alone but check "Random Shapes" as well as the others.

3. Allow a little more time for posters to modify their posts without notification by changing the following setting:
        AdminCP>vBulletin Options>Message Posting and Editing Options>Time to Wait Before Starting to Display 'Edited by...'
        Change from default 2 minutes to something like 10 minutes.
        Yeah, I was already looking at some of those . . . thanks.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: What bells & whistles should the new board have

Just wondering if we will filter spambots or if that is in development?

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
            If anyone sees a bot, send a Moderator a message right away and we can dispose of them. I don't know if there's an automatic filter.

Comment

There is one small thing I see missing...that is the hierarchy/path of thread location not being at the bottom of the thread as on top. The new board only has it at the top, therefore you have to scroll all the way to the top to go to the location you want. The old board had it both at the top and the bottom. By hierarchy/path I mean this:

SDSUFans.com Forum > About SDSUFans.com > Et Cetera > What bells & whistles should the new board have

Maybe there is a setting on the new board software that will let you put this on the bottom as well???

Just thought I'd point it out.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                It's got the usual stuff--e-mail authentication, limited activation period for a new account, CAPTCHA, content filters, etc. It's a commercial product which means that it's better than the YaBB board we just left behind.

It's a balancing act between making it a royal PITA for normal users to get an account, and making it so easy the spammers swarm onto you.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Can someone help me out with how to get the smiley faces, etc in the reply? And are there more choices that I'm missing?
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                    Can someone help me out with how to get the smiley faces, etc in the reply? And are there more choices that I'm missing?
                    Go to User CP at the top of the page;
                    Pick Edit Options at the side of the page;
                    Pick Miscellaneous Options;
                    Messaging Editor Interface (at the bottom of the page)
                    Select Enhanced Interface-WYSIWYG

That should do it. When you edit a post you'll have a smilies button at the top of the edit box, and smilies on the right side as well.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      There is one small thing I see missing...that is the hierarchy/path of thread location not being at the bottom of the thread as on top. The new board only has it at the top, therefore you have to scroll all the way to the top to go to the location you want. The old board had it both at the top and the bottom. By hierarchy/path I mean this:

SDSUFans.com Forum > About SDSUFans.com > Et Cetera > What bells & whistles should the new board have

Maybe there is a setting on the new board software that will let you put this on the bottom as well???

Just thought I'd point it out.
                      Don't recall seeing that as an option but I'll keep an eye out for it . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You know maybe I am just slow, but I just noticed that under the "Quick Links" tab at the top of the page has a section called "Todays Posts". If you click on that it will list all of the posts for today in chronological order. That may be the best feature on this message board. If you have not checked it out, try it for all the latest posts.

(\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                          You know maybe I am just slow, but I just noticed that under the "Quick Links" tab at the top of the page has a section called "Todays Posts". If you click on that it will list all of the posts for today in chronological order. That may be the best feature on this message board. If you have not checked it out, try it for all the latest posts.

You mean the option that's right above the "Mark forums read" option? You're not the only slow one . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Would it be possible to have the sports schedules included in the calendar?

Comment

Originally posted by pepbandalum View Post
                              Would it be possible to have the sports schedules included in the calendar?
                              Yeah, that's been on my want-to-do list since the new board came up. I'm sure I'll get to it before the school year begins . . .

er . . .

well . . .
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It appears as if you may need to check monster.com under data entry. Better yet you could get an intern, much more affordable.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X