Argus Leader Opinion (Pres. search)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Argus Leader Opinion (Pres. search)

I understand the media presence at the sessions was pretty heavy including television cameras. Did anyone see anything on tv? Did anyone report on it? Would seem like a huge waste if they didn't at least say something about it. (I was out of town this weekend so didn't see any local news)

Comment

I can see both sides to this controversy and no doubt asking tough questions  is part of the process. The thing that still matters to me is like some of us have said and that is we individually we may not be qualified to ask tough questions and I will be the first to admit that. I would doubt very much that at this stage of the process, we would be asking a candidate about a DUI 5, 10 or 15 years ago. The committee spent a great deal of time working on references etc in sorting through the stack of applications. The four we have are very brilliant and mature people who probably have different outlooks on how they would administer at SDSU if chosen as President. If there are skeletons in still in the closet, then the committee has failed in doing a good job of screening.   I think all four had answers to the questions that they anticipate will be asked including Mr. Chicone who told one student in answer to the question why he thought he was the best candidate. Mr Chicone stated his reasons and summed it by saying he was a nice guy. These four are public people who are after a very public job. No need for cover or closed doors.

The point is these guys are big boys and at this point constituent individuals and groups need to ask tough questions which have a public affect. Its still the chairman of the committee or the committee's decision to make a choice. Having others present only helps the process. I dont see how they can hinder it.  Hats off to the editor of the Colligian for filing the suit and the fact that he dropped the complaint once the Regents adjusted in answer to the complaint it tells me  the editor was after an open meeting approach to the interviews and was not on an ego trip.

I personally dont have any problems with Randell Beck and his editorals. He has rightfully questioned the ethical appearances of a very popular governor and had a very thoughtful analysis when Tom Daschle was defeated. Some times he could maybe tighten his rein on the sports people, but by and large he is not goofy in my opinion. He also said a while back that the Argus has to take SDSU very serious in their reclassification to D1.

I too have read the Collegian over the past few years. Compared to the mid 1960's when I left campus, the paper has improved leeps and bounds, but as JackJD said, its hard to follow some of the columns and content sees goofy at times. I hope they get the financial and faculty support to improve in the future.

Comment

In the early 1970s, when I was on campus, the Collegian was a very good college newspaper. Tena Anderson Heraldson was the editor...she now is the AP Chief for the Dakotas.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
          In the early 1970s, when I was on campus, the Collegian was a very good college newspaper.  Tena Anderson Heraldson was the editor...she now is the AP Chief for the Dakotas.  
          In the mid 1960's the Collegian was much smaller and was not the same size of regular daily news paper in terms of length and width. It was the same size as the Volga Tribune about one half the size of regular newspapers and probably was no more than a dozen pages. Of course enrollment was less than 5000 then, and when I occasionally got to read a copy in the 1970's there were more pages and the newpaper was the regular size of a daily paper. These are the things I see as leeps and bounds in improvement.

Oh I would not dispute there have been some very dedicated people who have worked on the Collegian and did it not get paid one cent. They did it for experience and like Tena Anderson Heraldson, it paid big dividends.

Comment

well so much for holding back this.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/60922028
            The state board of regents has chosen South Dakota State University’s next president, but officials have yet to announce a time when that man will be introduced to the public, according to one of the finalists for the job.

William Marcy, provost at Texas Tech University, said in an interview Friday that the head of the regents told him a man has been chosen for the job and that he was not that person.

Marcy, 64, said he did not know who was selected for the job.

“I was called by the executive director of the board of regents this week and told that the offer was made to another person,” Marcy said. “I don’t have any idea when there will be an announcement.”

Robert T. Tad Perry, executive director of the regents, could not be reached for comment Friday. He and members of the board have said they will not reveal the next president until they are ready to make a formal announcement.

Comment

I hear that Monday may be a historic day for SDSU.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
              X