Enrollment Sets Another Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enrollment Sets Another Record

Enrollment numbers for the fall are out.  SDSU set another record, up 356 to 11,377.  The Board of Regents system as a whole was up 181 which means with out SDSU they would have been down 175.  

We were also up almost 200 in the very important fte numbers compared to less than 60 for the system.

Congrats to SDSU for caring the system once again in enrollment.

http://www.sdbor.edu/publications/do...Enrollment.pdf

Re: Enrollment Sets Another Record

that is great news. I got the sense that this was a year where if we held numbers it would be positive.
    That is a nice increase.

Comment

Wonder if this will make the major newscasts or the major newspapers in the state? Seems newsworthy. One of the other schools thinking about the DI move mentioned a desire to increase enrollment over the 10,000 mark. Currently they stand at less that 8,000. Given the looks of these numbers it doesn't seem promising for them.

As for SDSU, this is great but not unexpected. Part of the new Presidents expectations are to continue to attract the best, brightest and most students to SDSU. Any help I can provide I will be more than happy to. Melding SDSU and industry will certainly help to increase enrollment and more importantly retention.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

NSU and SDSM&T both took pretty big hits considering their already low enrollment.  Does anyone know if there is a specific reason Tech is down so much?  With the high school graduates becoming less and less in the state I would like the BOR to change the system.  It seems like we should have a public two-year school.  Personally I would like to see DSU change to a two year college and then possibly the same for NSU.  It seems like we are dividing our students up between too many schools.  It would be much more economical to have two two-year colleges and then divide their majors amongst the other universities.  I really do not see how USD will ever reach 10,000 students unless the system is changed dramatically.  This would also improve the offerings for SDSU and increase our enrollment.

Comment

Enrollment dropped at Mines because they changed their admission requirements; they were having too many students who got accepted and did not have adequate preparation for the curriculum at Mines. Hence, they were having dreadful retention numbers.

As for the number of schools in the state, six may seem like a high number, but of the four smaller schools in state, two of them are pretty specialized (Tech and DSU) and two are geographically necessary (BH and NSU) because of the state's sparsity. Dr. Perry knows that it would be impossible to close a campus, even if he wanted to do so. Besides, Janklow's closing of USD-Springfield drew enough bad blood.

Comment

Working...
          X