Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU President Search

Originally posted by filbert
    Just from the bios, my favorites would be either Chicoine or Scanes.

Chicoine has the advantage of SDSU roots.  At least, IMHO it's an advantage.  I don't think I'm quite as paranoid as Haldersham (but as we all know, that doesn't mean they're NOT out to get us   )

Scanes has the advantage of the Mississippi State cowbell tradition (every bit as rabid as SDSU's).  

Marcy has an interesting past including a stint with the CIA.  Looks like he's got solid technology credentials.

Pohl looks like he'd be a supporter of athletics, but I don't otherwise have a good read on him, other than he's been applying for other college presidencies (Arkansas State, at least).  He doesn't appear to have a Land-Grant-oriented Curriculum Vitae, however.

To me, this looks like a very strong candidate list.  Both Chicoine and Scanes have solid ag, research,  and economic-development credentials--from this distance it looks like either one of those two would be my best fit as SDSU president.  But I'm sure there's a lot about the men you can't gather from spending a half-hour with Google, so I'll just leave it with:

Kudos to the selection committee, and good luck to all those involved in the final interviews and the selection process.  I think we'll have a good president coming in next year.
    I guess what I was saying was that Peggy Miller coming here new did not have any obligations to anyone and in fact she went to the bookstores to buy books about South Dakota when she was hired. She got the job base on skills she presented in interviews and all. She knew no one in SD and had no ties to any power brokers in the state. Every state has these people who often are low profile. Did not mean imply parnonia but I guess I did.  A new person is at an advantage having no ties and no favors to render to any one and can give SDSU a fresh review and decide on what the plan of action is for the future. This what I mean't Filbert.

Chicoine was close the last time around. I dont know what his age is but suspect he is getting  close to 65. As long as he uses his roots in a positive manner that helps advance the institution I can live with that. Hopefully he will have the same critical eye that the other candidates will have.

I think too there is always a danger of the Peter Principle which applies to all four candidates, and what I mean is they are promoted to a position that they find they don't have the necessary talent or desire to succeed, or put another way, they are in over their heads. I think that will always be a risk with each new president. One we can not afford at this time. This is the risk the committee has to consider and no doubt will in the next few weeks.

In the end, I will be happy any of the four. It was a good selection by the committee. Ibet those folks will be happy when its all over as it has taken them away from family and other things with meetings that started in April.

Comment

Impressive list of candidates.  It appears form the information provided, the committee has done and is doing an excellent job and we won't go wrong with any of the candidates.

I respectfully disagree with those who prefer others over Chicoine because he has a connection with SDSU.  It appears he's put in more than enough time away from home and his connection with SDSU, combined with the knowledge and experience he's obtained from other institutions including the U of IL, is a real plus in my book.  But, I think they all look pretty good and I look forward to the final announcement.

Comment

JackJD:

Your respectful disagreement is accepted. In fact it made me re-read the bios. I guess having seen about six or seven presidents of SDSU come and go, I was kind of drawing on those experiences in my prior posts. I have never met Dave Chicoine and unfortunately I will not be around Brookings when the candidates come to town for interviews. I do like Chicoine's experience in economic development and research parks. That experience coupled with the degree from SDSU and having grown up down by Elk Point probably gives him a boost.  He just might be the choice this time around.

The comment about the Peter Princple was more about the president before Briggs. John Headley was very gifted in secondary education and came here from St Cloud. But on his watch SDSU hired a dean in the College of Engineering with degrees in forestry. SDSU still does not offer foresty in the college of engineering, but we do have horticulture. SDSU had, we all sorts of problems in the College of Agriculture, that Headly inherited but was not able to solve, plus there were certain faculty members that could not be controlled. Hixon and Dr Worzella I believe were their names.
        I think VJ covered some of these problems in College on the Hill. It was stormy past that we hope will never be repeated. Thanks goodness for H.M. Briggs. I hope the chosen candidate can emulate Dr Briggs. Briggst got things done and he dealt quickly with all of Headley's problems.

Being an alum and with prior knowledge of how South Dakota works in Pierre, both Sherwood Berg and Robert Wagner where somewhat hobbled in trying to do new things. At least that is my perception. Would they have had considered the move to D1. I tend to think they would not have but could be very wrong. I respect both greatly and gotten to know them casually but have also kept mental grade card on their progress as president.

President Berg was very frustrated with Governor Janklow and he would tell you that in person. This is what bothers me about prior connections with South Dakota. South Dakota has a record for being status quo and maybe those who want to maintain that stature may have good intentions, but often they don't. The largest institution has to be progressive in all things, as we affect all 81 counties in the state in more ways than one. Extentsion is a big part but not all.

Comment

SDSU president selected
          Texas Tech finalist says regents have decided, but it's not him
          From staff reports
          September 23, 2006

The state board of regents has chosen South Dakota State University's next president, but officials have yet to announce a time when that man will be introduced to the public, according to one of the finalists for the job.

William Marcy, provost at Texas Tech University, said in an interview Friday that the head of the regents told him a man has been chosen for the job and that he was not that person. Marcy, 64, said he did not know who was selected for the job.

"I was called by the executive director of the board of regents this week and told that the offer was made to another person," Marcy said. "I don't have any idea when there will be an announcement."

ADVERTISMENT

Robert T. Tad Perry, executive director of the regents, could not be reached for comment Friday. He and members of the board have said they will not reveal the next president until they are ready to make a formal announcement.

Marcy was among four finalists who visited SDSU's campus in Brooking last week for a string of interviews with school leaders, faculty and students. The other finalists could not be reached Friday.

The other finalists:

David Chicoine, 59, who is vice president of technology and economic development at the University of Illinois.

Norval Pohl, 64, who was president of the University of North Texas until stepping down this fall. He decided not to extend his contract with the university, according to media accounts.

Colin Scanes, 59, a vice president for research and economic development at Mississippi State University.

One of the men will replace SDSU president Peggy Gordon Miller, who plans to retire in December.

South Dakota officials have given no public indication who might be their top pick.

Though he didn't make the cut, Marcy spoke highly of SDSU.

"I feel very honored to be included among one of the four chosen for those interviews," he said. "It was a privilege to be there, and I was impressed."

Comment

Apropos of SDSU's presidential hire (and salary discussions), this article from the KC Star (registration required):
            Kansas regents raise pay for officials
            The heads of the state’s larger universities got about a 4 percent raise, in line with salary increases faculty received for fiscal 2007.

With private funds added, University of Kansas Chancellor Robert Hemenway will be paid $319,280; Kansas State University President Jon Wefald will be paid $296,400 and Wichita State University President Donald Beggs will get $260,000.
            The $300k salary that's been bandied about would be right in the ballpark for a land-grant/statewide flagship university president.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

http://www.news-gazette.com/ngsearch...rder=asaphrase
              Chicoine was making $270K as of last September; the president at Illinois is making $450K.

The experience at Illinois when they hired their new provost provides an interesting tidbit in this article:
              They also must consider the current salaries of job candidates. White noted Katehi already made $300,000 as engineering dean at Purdue.

"We got somebody to move for a 7 percent increase," he said. "That's as low a move premium involving a promotion and relocation as any I've ever seen.
              If Chicoine was selected by the Regents , it might take a little bit more than $300K to hire him.

EDIT: Oops! I had misspelled Illinois.

Comment

I received this email this morning:

The Board of Regents will convene Monday morning at 10:30 am in Volstorff Ballroom B in public session to select the next president of SDSU. You are invited to attend.

Tad Perry
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Thanks for the info, eqguy. You beat the Argus by several hours.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/60924001

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                    Thanks for the info, eqguy. You beat the Argus by several hours.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/60924001
                    Sometimes I think the Argus gets their news here...

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...WS01/609250336

Here's a story about the increasing cost of presidential salaries and how the Regents have decided that the university foundations will no longer be allowed to directly compensate the presidents. The money now will have to come entirely out of the institutional budget.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy
                        I received this email this morning:

The Board of Regents will convene Monday morning at 10:30 am in Volstorff Ballroom B in public session to select the next president of SDSU.  You are invited to attend.  

Tad Perry
                        Funny, you would think the students would get some info on this, but apparently that's not in the Regents plan to let them in on this historic event.

Comment

If y'all hadn't heard by now Chicoine is the incoming prez.
                          http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/60925007

David Chicoine, an Elk Point native who has spent the past 30 years with the University of Illinois, will be the next president of South Dakota State University.

The announcement was made moments ago during a news conference on the campus in Brookings.

Chicoine, 59, will replace SDSU President Peggy Miller, who plans to retire in December.

Chicoine earned his bachelor of science degree in agribusiness from SDSU in 1969.

He is vice president of technology and economic development at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                            [quote author=eqguy link=1157486851/30#36 date=1159109179]I received this email this morning:

The Board of Regents will convene Monday morning at 10:30 am in Volstorff Ballroom B in public session to select the next president of SDSU.  You are invited to attend.  

Tad Perry
                            Funny, you would think the students would get some info on this, but apparently that's not in the Regents plan to let them in on this historic event.[/quote]

Historic event?

Comment

Getting a new president in my book is history making, especially when you're a student. Maybe it's not important to you I dunno. A couple of my professors called it a historic day so maybe I'm wrong at calling it this?

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                                Getting a new president in my book is history making, especially when you're a student.  Maybe it's not important to you I dunno.  A couple of my professors called it a historic day so maybe I'm wrong at calling it this?
                                If it is historic to you, that's fine. I was just surprised to hear it called that because I would have never thought of calling it that. But if it's important to you, than go for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X