Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chicoine selected

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060929/VOICES01/609290333/1161

Meet the newest Jackrabbit
    Chicoine well-qualified - and facing a lot of work

Declining pool of high school students from which to recruit SDSU students.

New NCAA Division I athletic program.

Stiff competition for grant money, combined with a lack of major local companies to feed and support research programs.

How Chicoine deals with the challenges will define his tenure at SDSU. He has a head start. Research grants are coming in. Ground recently was broken for a technology research park. The Jacks have joined the Mid-Continent Conference.

Chicoine's mission is to build on these - and especially, to attract students.

Welcome. And good luck.
    Challenges that will be met by the states largest university with an enrollment which is growing at rates twice that of other institutions in the state. At a university where we are recruiting the best students in the region. I would have added those to the story. SDSU is where its at and where people want to be. Its that simple and I'm darn proud of it. Chicoine should consider himself fortunate.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...609290331/1133

Here's a little blurb from David Kranz of the Argus:
      President-elect Chicoine

I hesitated to say before the decision was made that David Chicoine was the no-brainer choice for president of South Dakota State University.

I know how much the Board of Regents dislikes the news media and how secrecy is important to them, so I was concerned that anything coming from here could have hindered Chicoine's chances.

Blogger alert: I went to college with Chicoine, so I have known him since way back when. And I heard volumes about his qualifications from Mr. Elk Point, John Curry, Chicoine's head cheerleader.

I believe Chicoine will likely restore a strong agriculture emphasis to the campus.
      I think Kranz launched a subtle shot at the current administration with the last remark. The last time I checked, agriculture-related fields were going to be a major focus of the research park.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
        Challenges that will be met by the states largest university with an enrollment which is growing at rates twice that of other institutions in the state. At a university where we are recruiting the best students in the region. I would have added those to the story. SDSU is where its at and where people want to be. Its that simple and I'm darn proud of it. Chicoine should consider himself fortunate.
        A good point -- Chicoine's biggest challenge will be to continue to take SDSU into the 21st century while not screwing up the already substantial progress that's been made during the Miller administration.

I really like where my alma mater is going, on many fronts. I really like the Innovation campus concept and the full embracing of the university's role as a major economic development engine for the state. I really like the expansion of research and the doctoral programs. I really like the D-I move. I really like the continued enrollment growth. I like the Jackrabbit Guarantee. I like the active approach the students are taking towards their university (i.e. the Wellness Center, the newly invigorated Collegian, BlueHatMan's efforts to increase athletic attendance, etc.)

SDSU has always been a good place to be. It looks like it's getting better. I like it.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I had coffee with friends today. A big topic was the hiring of the SDSU president this past week. I raised the question about why Dr Chicoine being a finalist in 1998 was not selected back then? Was it because the BOR wanted to hire a woman? The explanation I got and one from a source on campus is that Chicoine was the top choice in 1998, but the BOR could not come up with the salary to match what he was earning at U of Illinois.  Has anyone else heard this scenario? Maybe its not important now, but I do find it interesting how the BOR scrambled to make sure they had the funds to get the right person this time around. Peggy Miller  was a huge bargin in terms of what she accompolished and what we paid her. This not a slant towards her as she was bold in her in her actions, but very quiet and very affective in bringing SDSU to a new level.

I do believe you often get what you pay for and this I think will be true with Dr. Chicoine. The more I hear the more I am impressed with him.  Let all the folks around SD question the worth of a SDSU president, I think we know what we are getting.

Comment

I have no insight on what happened several years ago when Dr Miller was hired to be our president. Like a lot of other people, I have pretty good 20/20 hindsight. I like what has happened during the Dr Miller years. If Dr Chicoine was a good choice those several years ago he is probably an even better choice now with the experience that he has gained since then. We should all be very glad that he retained his interest in coming back to SDSU even though he was not selected before. I am optimistic about the future of SDSU. Congratulations and welcome to Dr Chicoine. Congratulations and thank you to Dr Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
              I had coffee with friends today. A big topic was the hiring of the SDSU president this past week. I raised the question about why Dr Chicoine being a finalist in 1998 was not selected back then? Was it because the BOR wanted to hire a woman? The explanation I got and one from a source on campus is that Chicoine was the top choice in 1998, but the BOR could not come up with the salary to match what he was earning at U of Illinois.  Has anyone else heard this scenario? Maybe its not important now, but I do find it interesting how the BOR scrambled to make sure they had the funds to get the right person this time around. Peggy Miller  was a huge bargin in terms of what she accompolished and what we paid her. This not a slant towards her as she was bold in her in her actions, but very quiet and very affective in bringing SDSU to a new level.

I do believe you often get what you pay for and this I think will be true with Dr. Chicoine. The more I hear the more I am impressed with him.  Let all the folks around SD question the worth of a SDSU president, I think we know what we are getting.
              I think you are correct with what you have written above Haldersham, that is a similar scenario as to what i have heard. However, if that is correct, I think we lucked out. I wouldn't trade the Peggy Miller years at SDSU for anything.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

From what I have heard and read, Chicoine did not have much administrative experience at that time. In addition, SDSU had spent most of the past two decades with a president (Berg and Wagner) who were very familar with SDSU, being alums. I think the outside perspective was vital at that time, just as it is important that a president with an agircultural background was selected now. President Miller did an outstanding job and I am very optimistic that Chicoine will do well here as President.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/610040336
                  At 6:45 a.m. on weekdays for the past 30 years, David Chicoine has arrived at his desk with a daily mission to connect ideas to the marketplace.

He's an economist who wouldn't argue with historian Thomas Carlyle's scorn that economics is the dismal science. "There's not a lot of sizzle getting your hands dirty in understanding it," Chicoine said last week.

Yet the results of applying that science seem to have a good deal of sizzle. Chicoine's ideas on the economy and rural development have paid off for the University of Illinois, where he's worked since the 1970s, and now have paved the way for him to become president of South Dakota State University.

Comment

Working...
                  X