Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pride of the Dakotas

Originally posted by jackrabit1
    Well, I'm sure you have to have some advance reservations with those bus companies... not easy to get 7 busses together, plus chaperones, in the span of a week.

If this was something that Miller wanted, why wait til now to ask? Why not do this ahead of time, when the Pride was putting together its schedule for the year? To me, it seems not only a matter of timing, but of preparation on both ends. And if NDSU is going to treat the Pride like crap, why even go? Frankly If I'm treated like crap when I go somewhere, chances are pretty darn good I won't be going back.
    These are not high school kids. They don't need chaperones.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I do agree. The school should plan on the Pride being at every game in Fargo.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
        I don't care why they aren't going to be there.

They should be there. The rest is details.
        Sorry to be mean here, but I didn't hear any of these calls of outrage at the beginning of the season, when something could have actually been done about it. What did you expect the band and its leaders to do then? No funding was available for this trip, so they told the band when they would be done with the season and locked in the date, which was after the indoor marching band concert last weekend. Back at the beginning of the season though, people would have been screaming about the band leaving because they think it gets too much funding, and some of that should go to the football team because they were only going to win one game this season.

I'm sorry, this whole situation is a terrible example of Monday morning quarterbacking though. You can't give around 400 people 2-3 weeks notice about an event and expect them to show up there, especially at the end of a semester, and especially when you are expecting them to just add three weeks of rehearsals onto the end of their season, and interrupt the concert band's rehearsals, which have been planned for months.

Everybody on this board seems very proud of the band. The reason you have something to be proud of is that students return to the band year after year. Pulling stuff like just telling them three weeks early that they need to cancel whatever plans they have made because the football team is having a good season, is a great way to ruin the band. McKinney knows this, and thats probably why he is the one who has lead the band into what it is today. Its really too bad that most people talking about the marching band don't factor in what the actual members of the band think about being treated like servants of the University. Why don't you head down and tell everybody in Caldwell that they need to cancel their plans this weekend, because they are going to a football game. "Gasp" we can't do that, those are students, with rights! Not like those fully compensated members of the marching band.

Comment

Collegian article on the Pride's invite to Pasadena:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

Congratulations once again to the Pride of the Dakotas!

Comment

Originally posted by Statebasketballfan
            [quote author=Jacks99 link=1163303128/15#28 date=1163620770]I don't care why they aren't going to be there.

They should be there.  The rest is details.
            Sorry to be mean here, but I didn't hear any of these calls of outrage at the beginning of the season, when something could have actually been done about it.  What did you expect the band and its leaders to do then?  No funding was available for this trip, so they told the band when they would be done with the season and locked in the date, which was after the indoor marching band concert last weekend.  Back at the beginning of the season though, people would have been screaming about the band leaving because they think it gets too much funding, and some of that should go to the football team because they were only going to win one game this season.  

I'm sorry, this whole situation is a terrible example of Monday morning quarterbacking though.  You can't give around 400 people 2-3 weeks notice about an event and expect them to show up there, especially at the end of a semester, and especially when you are expecting them to just add three weeks of rehearsals onto the end of their season, and interrupt the concert band's rehearsals, which have been planned for months.  

Everybody on this board seems very proud of the band.  The reason you have something to be proud of is that students return to the band year after year.  Pulling stuff like just telling them three weeks early that they need to cancel whatever plans they have made because the football team is having a good season, is a great way to ruin the band.  McKinney knows this, and thats probably why he is the one who has lead the band into what it is today.  Its really too bad that most people talking about the marching band don't factor in what the actual members of the band think about being treated like servants of the University.  Why don't you head down and tell everybody in Caldwell that they need to cancel their plans this weekend, because they are going to a football game.  "Gasp" we can't do that, those are students, with rights!  Not like those fully compensated members of the marching band.    [/quote]

I never said it couldn't have been planned from the start. However, last minute is life and I don't get to skip out at work with that excuse.

UC Davis sends a portion of their band to all away games and NDSU has always come down every few years or so to Brookings. I feel we should return the favor, especially follow the our team.

For only 4 home games I wasn't that impressed by what the Pride has done this year and they didn't seem very prepared. Being a 5-year alum, I've seen some stellar years and I hope that the Pride hasn't peaked. I want them to keep moving forward. Small Pride groups have been sent to Canada for a few years as well. I realize they went to Pierre early in the year and this is a late game, but that's only an excuse in my mind. If '03 was the last year, they should be there this year.

Also, as far as the not playing much in the stands and using the scoreboard etc. for excuses, I'm crying foul. I've always been dissapointed in that they/we don't play much filler music, some years are better than others. And yes, the Athletic dept. rules may have something to do with it.

I'm still proud of the "Pride" and think they are still a top band. However big isn't always better and I don't feel they paid back their loyal supporters that bought them new instruments last year. To be the best you need to continue to improve and I will expect more next year.

That's my rant, take it with a grain of salt as it is just my opinion, but as most here agree programs at State are open to critism. Note that I did not blame anyone or suggest anyone isn't doing their job. I have nothing but respect for those involved with the Pride.

PS- I think the pep band has been solid the last few years and do look forward to some of their old favorites. They seem to throw in a new one here or there also. Given that they probably don't get to practice much, I don't expect them to learn a lot of new material.

Comment

I think your spot on Statebbfan
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

I also agree with StateBBfan. The band is not part of SDSU to support the FB team.

Jacks99, when someone asks you to do something at the last minute, have you ever said "poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on my part"?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I don't want to make this long, so I'll just sum up a few points here.

1. The band forces the members to make a commitment to be at the home football games, and go on whatever trips the band takes that season, that is why it's necessary to plan these in advance. When no money was available for this trip, it wasn't put into the schedule. Would it be fair for the band directors to force a commitment on everybody else that they agree to, and then say "oh, this has been added, you have to do it" 3/4 of the way through the season? I said it above, but crap like that is how you turn 400 piece bands into 100 piece embarrassments. The members of the band aren't going to die without spending time outside in 20 degree weather practicing every fall, its just as easy to quit and spend that time with friends in the dorms.

I constantly read on here about how people wish there was more student involvement with the athletic events. Well, here's 400+ students locked into being at all home games. How do you want to reward them? Pile more stuff for them to do and give them two weeks notice when they're trying to get through their majors.

2. The whole NDSU thing, the only thing I'm going to say is what one of my friends said about going back a second time. "Yeah, its really worth practicing three extra weeks in 20 degree weather so I spend my Saturday in the fargo dome being told what a s!ut my mother is (and thats mild).". Don't tell me that we encountered one bad apple last time either because I was walking at the end of the line, starting at the 50, and I heard that stuff the whole way down to the exit. McKinney never took the band to USD because of the treatment that SDSU received in that great facility, and I think NDSU may have gotten that same distinction now. Its one thing if I go with some of my friends to the game, as I've done many times in Fargo, and get cussed at, because you can actually say something back. But you send the band up, they get treated like crap, and somebody retaliates, all hel! will break loose. The argus would probably have an in-depth series on the corruption of the SDSU band, and how its been infiltrated by drug dealers. It just isn't worth it to send the band up there imo. You can tell me to quit being a baby or whatever, thats fine, but remember, these aren't scholarship athletes your sending out, these are members doing something for fun, do they really need to spend their weekends being treated like crap by a bunch of drunks? Its not like we even helped last time we were up there anyway. Not much fun watching a shut out.

These are just my opinions too, so take them as such.

Comment

Fact of the matter is, if the school wanted the Pride to go up to Fargo, they should have told McKinney at the beginning of the season so it was on the calendar. They didn't, he didn't put it on, and now everyone's having a hissy fit because they aren't going.

When people start taking "The Pride" for granted... that's when the program starts to suffer.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Fact of the matter is, if the school wanted the Pride to go up to Fargo, they should have told McKinney at the beginning of the season so it was on the calendar. They didn't, he didn't put it on, and now everyone's having a hissy fit because they aren't going.

When people start taking "The Pride" for granted... that's when the program starts to suffer.
                          BINGO!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Double plus agree.

You can question the original decision not to take the Pride to NDSU (but, reading some of the anecdotes in this thread, you can also understand why they weren't eager to head up there). But once that decision gets made, it makes little sense to, at the eleventh hour, try to get the logistics worked out to get 300+ people into buses and three hours up I-29.

In a money-rich world, I'd like to see:
                        1) Work on having the full Pride travel to Iowa State, Minnesota, and any future I-A road games (the 'geez, that's a big band' factor would be handy in those hostile bigtime venues);
                        2) Work on having a Traveling Pride similar to the UC Davis Band-uh to go to some of our away conference games
                        3) etc., etc.

It all boils down to money available, like every other neat thing we'd all like to happen now we're in D-I.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                          I also agree with StateBBfan. The band is not part of SDSU to support  the FB team.

Jacks99, when someone asks you to do something at the last minute, have you ever said "poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on my part"?
                          Absoluetly, but I usually will make an effort given my schedule. I did say in my post I meant scheduling from the start. I still think  100 Pride members is better than a full Star band :-?

Granted I don't know all the ins and outs of why or why not, but like I said those are details. They are our rival now and for the interest of everyone it seems it would be a positive thing to have them there.

As for a program suffering, it is when the program takes itself for granted that it suffers. My expectations do not affect the Pride in the least.

Anywho, it is is what it is this year and emotions are running high for the big game. (Ohio and Mich who?) My original short post likely came off strong and much was read into something that really wasn't much. That's why these type of boards are a pain, but fun.

Go Jacks
                          Go Pride

Comment

Good discussion everyone, now i know alot more about why there are so many different scenarios that come up with sending us to Fargo. I wonder if the GSMB ever has a tough time when they come to Coughlin. The answer is probably not-because we have more class than that school up north. Notice our bold title "Pride of the Dakotas"-which, by the way I didnt know was so old until they said it at the indoor concert. UND's "band" is called the Pride of the North"-ridiculous-pride of the what-North Pole?! Oh yeah NDSU "Pride of North Dakota"-well we got both Dakotas!- and USD "Dakota's Finest"-thats a title for some kind of a food product! HAHAHAHAHA 8-) 8-) 8-)
                            "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

Originally posted by wr54
                              and USD "Dakota's Finest"-thats a title for some kind of a food product! HAHAHAHAHA 8-) 8-) 8-)
                              USD's marching band is probably "Dakota's Finest" piece of crap! Seriously, their marching band is extremely pathetic compared to the Pride (I had to restrain myself from laughing when I saw them play at the DakotaDumpTM three years ago at the last SDSU-USD(d-2) game) and has to make you wonder what return on investment the taxpayers of SD are getting for having the state's "fine arts school" being located at USD.........

Comment

I noticed this link on another site and thought I would pass it along.  If the Pride needs an idea for a time out performance or a piece to play between quarters they might consider this example from the Mississippi State University Marching Band

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_sCeH5fQwyY

It reminded be of when I saw B.O.C. play at the Buffalo Chip in Sturgis last summer.  There were people there with signs saying, "I need more cowbell!"

Comment

Working...
                                X