Pride of the Dakotas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pride of the Dakotas

That's dissapointing since the NDSU band makes frequent trips down here.

I would expect to see it happen in the future though.

Comment

Yah, it makes me mad that we arent going-its too big of a game to let go. Here's the scoop: It wasnt on the schedule for this year but McKinney told us something like Peggy wanted to send us up and he didnt sound real enthused about it. We had a count of who had conflicts for it and a lot of hands went up- it wasnt planned right-so then we had talk about maybe bringing 60 or 70 up, just a pep band. Then it just fizzled out over the weekend and thats that. So it was more of a conflict than a cost i think. It is true that NDSU does travel, but then again I think they only have around a hundred or so in their band. It would be nice if we could travel to Montana or something once in a while-my buddy went with the gold star band to bozeman last year-he said it was really fun.
      "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

McKinney told us something like Peggy wanted to send us up and he didnt sound real enthused about it.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is someone a bit too big for his britches?????????????????

To me if the PRESIDENT OF THE UNIVERSITY wants to send you, you go! But thats just me, I'm crazy emotional that way.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Not going to lie here but I think McKinney needs to get new stuff for the pep band and needs to organize more for football. Just my thought on McKinney's leadership.

Comment

Prof. Coull, who is McKinney's top assistant with the Pride, is the director of the Basketball Pep Band.

As for the football games, the Pride is still adjusting to the changes brought forth in recent years, such as the scoreboard, D-1, and stricter guidelines as to when they can play.

The Pride didn't play in Fargo last year and President Miller didn't complain (to my knowledge). The reasoning I have heard is that the Fargo trip in 2003 was quite spendy (it was an overnight trip) and that the Pride was treated with a lack of respect as the game staff attempted to charge the band for admission and placed them in a lousy location in the Fargodome. In addition, the focus of the Pride last year was to raise money for their new silver instruments. The Rose Bowl Parade invite and SDSU's big winning streak are likely the reasons that prompted Pres. Miller to ask if the Pride could go to Fargo this week. (By this point, many Pride members already made other plans as they had events for at least three straight weekends prior to this upcoming weekend.)

Hopefully, this situation can serve as the impetus to make a stronger effort to send at least a portion of the Pride (like the Drumline, the Hare Raising Brass, or a Pride pep band) to many of the away games in the future........

Comment

I don't know if its fair to assume McKinney doesn't care... it takes a lot of logisitics to take 300+ band members to North Dakota. Not to mention the fact that this is VERY last minute and as NightHawk said, many members may have already made plans... Techinically, the Pride's season ended after the indoor concert.

I've known Mr. McKinney for a few years. Perhaps not well, but as a student. I'm sure he'd love to send the band up... but with such a short notice and a logistical headache, he probably thought it prudent to pass.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I am disappointed that the Pride is not going to be there, and I agree that it would not be easy to make it work.

BUT...

A bus holds around 50 people, get 7, there are two bus companies within 60 miles of Brookings.

Why would it have to be an overnight trip? The trip to Fargo is 2 1/2 hours by bus. Same with the trip home. If they leave at noon they get there at 2:30 do a walkthrough/practice - get some food and then show up for the game - Go home after game. They will get home by Midnight. Just enough time to let off some steam in beautiful downtown Brookings. (For those that are old enough)

This game has been sitting on the horizon since the Hobo Day victory. What is so very last minute about 3 weeks.

If they were treated poorly by the Fargo staff the last time so what! They really don't want us there anyway. And I'll guarantee you their gold star something or other doesn't want the pride to show them up in their building!

Again, I don't want to totally bash McKinney, that is not my intent. My intent is to question why this seems so hard. And why, if the President (who has been a huge backer of the Pride) wants you to go you can actually say no.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Well, I'm sure you have to have some advance reservations with those bus companies... not easy to get 7 busses together, plus chaperones, in the span of a week.

If this was something that Miller wanted, why wait til now to ask? Why not do this ahead of time, when the Pride was putting together its schedule for the year? To me, it seems not only a matter of timing, but of preparation on both ends. And if NDSU is going to treat the Pride like crap, why even go? Frankly If I'm treated like crap when I go somewhere, chances are pretty darn good I won't be going back.
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I think it's unfair to throw Mckinney under the bus for this! There are just too many details to plan this last minute! NDSU may not have a place to put them with the other SDSU fans.

One poster made a comment about needing new stuff for the band and I disagree with that also. The Pride is amazing and if you get a chance to hear many other bands across the nation that becomes very aparent. Dr. Coull is one of the most sought after band composers in the nation and he and the rest of the band director are very talented.

If The Pride traveled to away games, they would be undefeated at the D-1 level in battle of the band competitions!

What needs to happen is to just plan on taking them on the road to Fargo whenever we travel up there. There isn't any reason for them to not be there!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I was talking about the pep band needing new stuff not the Pride.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                        I was talking about the pep band needing new stuff not the Pride.
                        Sorry about that bluehatman! I tend to agree with you. It's been the same stuff for a long time. It's all very well played but time to shake it up a bit!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I'm not placing blame on anyone, and don't care who's fault it is, but the Pride NEEDS to be at this game. We have one of the best bands in the country and they love to remind everyone about it (rightfully so). However, one of the best bands in the country should be at the Fargo dome in what is arguably the schools biggest football game in 20-40 years. There has been very few points in the schools history, if ever, where the football team has gathered this much attention. We need all the help we can get in a place where we haven't won in 30 plus years. Having the Pride outplay the NDSU band and provide a little home cookin for our football team is a must. I'm pretty disappointed they aren't going to be there. Poor planning for whoever makes that call.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

One other thing. Do you think Michigan and Ohio State will both have bands at that game?
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I don't care why they aren't going to be there.

They should be there. The rest is details.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                                I don't care why they aren't going to be there.

They should be there.  The rest is details.
                                that's what I was trying to say before I got all long winded on you

Comment

Working...
                                X