Mascot News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mascot News

Here is an article by Terry that I missed last week about or logo.
    Why are the Jackrabbits so loco about logos?
    By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    PUBLISHED: February 23, 2008

South Dakota State's logos are multiplying like rabbits.

The school unveiled five variations of three new emblems on Tuesday, meaning that Bugs - er, the bunny that bears no resemblance to the image owned by Warner Bros. - is out. That much we know.

But what of the Coughlin Campanile insignia? Will the rookie Jackrabbit leap over the school's storied structure? And will the stretched "SD" logo be pulled apart just months after being enlarged on the floor at Frost Arena and incorporated into new uniforms?
    "The idea with this was to get the mascot taken care of and to get a word mark," said university relations director Jenny Crickard. "From there, we're going to look at a children's mascot that will go along with the same type of style, and also maybe possibly look at some other 'SD' options."

So there might be more before there's less.
    If the basic premise of a logo is to be readily identifiable, isn't there some risk associated with having too many?

"The Rabbit isn't going to be perfect for everything," athletic marketing director Micah Grenz said, "and the Campanile wouldn't be perfect for everything."

In other words, what looks fetching on a coffee cup might not work on a football helmet or letterhead. A usage guide is in the works, according to athletic director Fred Oien.

(read more)

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
      Comment away:

The bunnies are too complex to look good on a helmet. Helmet art needs to be very simple, otherwise it will appear from a distance to be a yellow blob on the helmet. Even our current flying SD is a little too much yellow. I'd be for slightly tweaking the SD so it is more readable from a distance. I think adding some white highlights to it, making it look more like the SD on the basketball floor, would do it.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...a-february-27/

Pretty cool, I pick up my copy of the Rocky Mountain News this morning and in the briefs section is the new logo and a blurb on the designers. Nice job media relations.

Comment

http://yahoosports.teamfanshop.com/N...ssic_Windshirt

see what yahoo is trying to sell. a RED SDSU windshirt????

Comment

Could that be a picture of a San Diego State windshirt and just the wrong description?

Comment

Wal Mart does the same. They are selling Red shirts with South Dakota State University on them. They are also selling them in almost every color in the rainbow.

Comment

Originally posted by sf_jackster View Post
                Could that be a picture of a San Diego State windshirt and just the wrong description?
                That's what I would think. Or Yahoo trying to spin San Diego State stuff as South Dakota State (maybe not a mistake).

Comment

I think as a first design that somebody's just tossing out it's pretty good. The colors are a bit off, but I like the way it looks. Not bad. Somebody might have made a good point, though ... how it would look from the stands ... if you could tell what it is. That's something to consider. Nice job, though.

Comment away:

Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Personally I would vote in the not a big fan of that logo on the side of the helmet (I realize tha the color scheme isn't accurate and is just there because I'm assuming that's what was available to NCJ). But, in regard to other comments about how that would look from the stands, is that really any different from the stands than looking at NDSU's bison logo from the stands? Plenty of schools have undistinguishable logos from a distance, that shouldn't be a huge factor.

Comment away:

I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I think I'd keep the saggy SD on the helmets, possibly putting underneath it STATE, in fairly large collegiate-font characters, either curved around the SD or straight across. Just a thought. You don't want to get too busy for a football helmet logo.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Well I thought I would share a little story about the new rabbit logo from this weekend.

Our neighbor was having her 50th birthday party in San Francisco this weekend and there were plenty of new people to meet and so I started talking to my neighbor and he said he had met a woman at the party that was also from South Dakota. So I met her and she was from Spearfish, one topic led to another and she found out I'm an SDSU alumn. She then stated that she designed the new jackrabbit logo. She works for a firm in Denver that finalized the design. I pulled out my phone and showed her my screen saver and said this logo? She laughed and said "that's the one". I was a little taken aback to say the least. I quizzed her on a few things I knew about the logo and they did seem to add up.

Today I was researching it a bit and the article I read did state that the people that completed the design were originally from Spearfish and the firm was from Denver. So her story makes sense to me.

She lives about 1/2 mile from my house and is really good friends with my neighbor. Talk about a small world.

She originally went to Black Hills State and although not an SDSU alum, loves the Jacks. She said in all of her years in California, she had never met anyone from SDSU in this state.

Needless to say, that made my weekend.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Well I thought I would share a little story about the new rabbit logo from this weekend.

Our neighbor was having her 50th birthday party in San Francisco this weekend and there were plenty of new people to meet and so I started talking to my neighbor and he said he had met a woman at the party that was also from South Dakota. So I met her and she was from Spearfish, one topic led to another and she found out I'm an SDSU alumn. She then stated that she designed the new jackrabbit logo. She works for a firm in Denver that finalized the design. I pulled out my phone and showed her my screen saver and said this logo? She laughed and said "that's the one". I was a little taken aback to say the least. I quizzed her on a few things I knew about the logo and they did seem to add up.

Today I was researching it a bit and the article I read did state that the people that completed the design were originally from Spearfish and the firm was from Denver. So her story makes sense to me.

She lives about 1/2 mile from my house and is really good friends with my neighbor. Talk about a small world.

She originally went to Black Hills State and although not an SDSU alum, loves the Jacks. She said in all of her years in California, she had never met anyone from SDSU in this state.

Needless to say, that made my weekend.
                          Was her name Craig or Cory. Those are the names of the 2 brothers that designed the logo for Mongoose Graphics of Thornton. Co. Yes, they are Spearfish natives.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                            Was her name Craig or Cory. Those are the names of the 2 brothers that designed the logo for Mongoose Graphics of Thornton. Co. Yes, they are Spearfish natives.
                            No she works for Craig and Cory however. She sent an e-mail to Craig from her Blackberry. He said he would send her the logo file to her Blackberry, but then the party ended and I never saw the e-mail back.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                            X