Mid-Con:  The Rivalries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Con:  The Rivalries

This is possibly meta-smack, but we'll start it out here and see what happens . . .

Here's my current rankings of SDSU's new Mid-Con rivalries:

1) NDSU: The big one. Fill Frost! Beat the shaggy herbivorous indigenous North American megafauna! Green and yellow is so . . . tacky. Yellow and blue is much easier on the eyes.

2) Oral Roberts: In the top half of the conference in most sports. Good fan support. Plus, a church school! What's not to hate? (Best non-land-grant discussion board in the conference, though).

3) IPFW: We owe you guys for last year's men's basketball debacles. We do. We owe you big time. It'll be time to pay the Rabbit once we hit Mid-Con competition. Brace your sorry extinct mammal hinders.

4) UMKC: Nice easy road trip from Brookings, great barbecue, beatable sports teams. Plus, how can you not get up for a Jackrabbit-Kangaroo tussle?

5 tie) Southern Utah: Our good and dear GWFC friends. The rest of the conference HATES the Utah road trip. We will, too. Think Northern Colorado, with better men's basketball and football . . . not as good.

5 tie) Western Illinois: Leathernecks. Good women's basketball. Gateway football. That's enough to start a rivalry.

7) Oakland: We'll see. They're outside Detroit, so maybe we should cut them some slack.

8) IUPUI: Might be rated too low in the rivalry scale, mainly for men's basketball. We'll see about them, too.

9) Centenary: The little school that could. Well, not recently. We'll see once we meet them on the court, but they kind of have a Morningside feel to me. Decent softball, I understand.

10) Valparaiso: On the one hand, their departure in 2007 from the Mid-Con opened the door for the Land-Grants, so we're two ships passing in the night for the most part. But, they ARE a Lutheran school.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Mid-Con:  The Rivalries

NDSU will always be a rival for obvious reasons, but I have my target on Oral Roberts. filbert nailed the reasons. they are like a big division 1 augie with great facilities and outstanding fan support, and unlike augie they care about winning. and the are at the top of the Mid Con food chain. It wont take ORU and SDSU long to start hating each other. AWESOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark_Jack
      NDSU will always be a rival for obvious reasons, but I have my target on Oral Roberts. filbert nailed the reasons. they are like a big division 1 augie with great facilities and outstanding fan support, and unlike augie they care about winning. and the are at the top of the Mid Con food chain. It wont take ORU and SDSU long to start hating each other. AWESOME!!!
      When we played UMKC last year, it felt like a conference game... pretty intense on and off the court. I felt the potential for a rival there.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        This is possibly meta-smack, but we'll start it out here and see what happens . . .

Here's my current rankings of SDSU's new Mid-Con rivalries:

1) NDSU:  The big one.  Fill Frost!  Beat the shaggy herbivorous indigenous North American megafauna!  Green and yellow is so . . . tacky.  Yellow and blue is much easier on the eyes.

2) Oral Roberts:  In the top half of the conference in most sports.  Good fan support.  Plus, a church school!  What's not to hate?  (Best non-land-grant discussion board in the conference, though).

3) IPFW:  We owe you guys for last year's men's basketball debacles.  We do.  We owe you big time.  It'll be time to pay the Rabbit once we hit Mid-Con competition.  Brace your sorry extinct mammal hinders.

4) UMKC:  Nice easy road trip from Brookings, great barbecue, beatable sports teams.  Plus, how can you not get up for a Jackrabbit-Kangaroo tussle?

5 tie) Southern Utah:  Our good and dear GWFC friends.  The rest of the conference HATES the Utah road trip.  We will, too.  Think Northern Colorado, with better men's basketball and football . . . not as good.

5 tie) Western Illinois:  Leathernecks.  Good women's basketball.  Gateway football.  That's enough to start a rivalry.

7) Oakland:  We'll see.  They're outside Detroit, so maybe we should cut them some slack.

8) IUPUI:  Might be rated too low in the rivalry scale, mainly for men's basketball.  We'll see about them, too.

9) Centenary:  The little school that could.  Well, not recently.  We'll see once we meet them on the court, but they kind of have a Morningside feel to me.  Decent softball, I understand.

10) Valparaiso:  On the one hand, their departure in 2007 from the Mid-Con opened the door for the Land-Grants, so we're two ships passing in the night for the most part.  But, they ARE a Lutheran school.
        I can understand the first statement in bold if you are considering the opponents that will be in conference when you are :-). WIU will not be dominant in women's basketball anymore (regular season success, no NCAA tourneys to show for it), as the reason they were good was mainly due to their 6'7" center that just graduated. As far as us, I am sure we will still play all 3 of you, as we have over the past few years.

Comment

Yah, Valpo's online presence is probably the best among current/active Mid-Con members. But like I said, we're ships passing in the night. It would have been fun to be in a conference with you guys (after all our wonderful experiences with Augustana-SD in D-II . . . )
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Yah, Valpo's online presence is probably the best among current/active Mid-Con members.  But like I said, we're ships passing in the night.  It would have been fun to be in a conference with you guys (after all our wonderful experiences with Augustana-SD in D-II . . .   )
            Yeah, I was wondering about the Lutheran comment :-)

Comment

Originally posted by valpotx
              [quote author=filbert link=1157121148/0#4 date=1157122520]Yah, Valpo's online presence is probably the best among current/active Mid-Con members. But like I said, we're ships passing in the night. It would have been fun to be in a conference with you guys (after all our wonderful experiences with Augustana-SD in D-II . . . )
              Yeah, I was wondering about the Lutheran comment :-)[/quote]

Actually, I along with many others of Upper Midwestern Scandanavian heritage are Lutherans, or Loot'runs, as it's pronounced in the local dialect.

Much self-depricating humor ensues from this simple fact.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

[quote author=valpotx link=1157121148/0#5 date=1157122665][quote author=filbert link=1157121148/0#4 date=1157122520]Yah, Valpo's online presence is probably the best among current/active Mid-Con members.  But like I said, we're ships passing in the night.  It would have been fun to be in a conference with you guys (after all our wonderful experiences with Augustana-SD in D-II . . .   )

Actually, I along with many others of Upper Midwestern Scandanavian heritage are Lutherans, or Loot'runs, as it's pronounced in the local dialect.  

[/quote]

I am not Lutheran, but do have Scandanavian heritage (25% Norwegian).

Comment

Originally posted by valpotx
                  [quote author=filbert link=1157121148/0#6 date=1157132402][quote author=valpotx link=1157121148/0#5 date=1157122665][quote author=filbert link=1157121148/0#4 date=1157122520]Yah, Valpo's online presence is probably the best among current/active Mid-Con members.  But like I said, we're ships passing in the night.  It would have been fun to be in a conference with you guys (after all our wonderful experiences with Augustana-SD in D-II . . .   )

[/quote]

I am not Lutheran, but do have Scandanavian heritage (25% Norwegian).
                  [/quote]

Okay, 25% that good. We dont pick our parents and grandparents. Be proud of your 25%. BTW I am 100%. Its a hobby trying to find out what my legecy is all about.
                  I regret to that Valpo is leaving. I had hoped SDSU would play them in BB. We still might though as a non-conference game.
                  Coach Nagy while calling in on the Craig and Mike show yesterday commented on how much just one trip to the big dance will do for SDSU and for the entire state. I think he had Valpo's several appearences in mind when he mentioned that.

I think ORU will be interesting rival. I noticed Richard Roberts was on the visiting tour to NDSU and he was greatly impressed. A trip to Tulsa for bb would be a nice winter vacation.

Its just great to be part of a conference. Rivalries will develop as time goes on but no harm in making guesses and comments.

Comment

4) UMKC:  Nice easy road trip from Brookings, great barbecue, beatable sports teams.  Plus, how can you not get up for a Jackrabbit-Kangaroo tussle?
                    Filbert, you forgot the most important part of playing UMKC, we get to chant "Screw the Roo's" again. ;D ;D ;D

(\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                    X