• Show
Clear All

• SDSU is in!

It is official!

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=4077

What a great day!  8-)

Go State!  

Re: SDSU is in!

It looks great to see the SDSU logo at the top of the Mid-Con press releases:

http://www.mid-con.com/

Comment

Congrats, and good luck next year.

Comment

SDSU is in the Mid-Con!!! This is great news and a great day. Congratulations to everyone at SDSU that made this happen.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
        Go Mid-Con!!!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

To clarify the comment on being immediately eligible for conference championships, that pertains to regular season championships. Unless all of your sports have received a waiver from the NCAA (which they really don't do for revenue sports, may for volleyball and a few others), you won't be eligible for post-season tournaments until your transition is done in 2008-2009 (like when Oakland joined the league, had to wait 1 year).

Comment

Congratulations, and welcome to the Mid-Con!   I'm looking forward to seeing the Jackrabbits in Tulsa next year.  ORU fans are looking forward to great competition between our schools in coming years.  

Best of luck to you this season.

At last, 89rabbit, all of your hard work at lobbying for Mid-Con membership has been rewarded!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
              SDSU is in the Mid-Con!!!  This is great news and a great day.  Congratulations to everyone at SDSU that made this happen.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
              Go Mid-Con!!!

I'm going to quote myself and say it a little louder!!

SDSU IS IN THE MID-CON!!!
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Here is a synopsis of the conference through wikipedia, seems someone has added 2 of you already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Con...nference#Teams

I know a lot has been made out of teams leaving the conference, but there hasn't been too much movement over the last decade, and it is not due to the competition level.  Chicago State left because the conference pretty much kicked them out with their NCAA violations that will be announced over this season, & both YSU & us left for the more regionally based Horizon.  

We will always have a place for the Mid-Con in our thoughts, especially me, with my baseball jersey that got framed for me (parting gift to our SR baseball players every year) having the patch on the sleeve. I look at it every day as I get home, as I keep it in my den.

Comment

I just returned from the news conference. What a great day for SDSU! The band was there, and the Volstorff Ballroom was pretty much full. Gov. Rounds and three members of the Board of Regents along with Executive Director Tad Perry were in attendance along with many local dignitaries. If I was estimating, I'd put the audience in the 300 to 500 range, probably closer to the latter. Kudos to SID Jason Hove, Marketing and Promotions Director Micah Grenz and their staffs who put together the event on very short notice. Volstorff was all decked out.

I'm told that video of the event will be posted later today on gojacks.com.

I have to say it was really wonderful to see President Miller get the opportunity to accept membership in the Mid-Con during this, her last, semester at SDSU. Several of us spoke afterwards agreeing that every event like this is bittersweet because it brings us that much closer to her retirement. She will be sorely missed. The photo op of the day was President Miller in her new Mid-Con pullover and Mid-Con hat. I saw a flash right then, but I think it was SDSU photographer Eric Landwehr who got the shot of the day. So you won't see it in the paper tomorrow.

It's worth remembering, as several speakers did that it was the leadership of President Miller and AD Fred Oien who really set all of this in motion and saw it through to this great conclusion.

It was also terrific to hear Commissioner Douple thank the SDSU student athletes (particularly this year's seniors) who won't get a chance to compete in the Mid-Con. They deserve a lot of credit for their efforts during the transition period.

Speaking without notes, Gov. Rounds gave some very nice remarks, beginning and ending with SDSU's marketing slogan "You can go anywhere from here." As an SDSU graduate, he's certainly living proof of that. I admit that I don't always agree with his leadership of the state, but he's a good guy and gives a very nice speech.

It was amusing that the media was given an opportunity to ask questions, but had none during the event itself. I'm sure there were a lot of chuckles about that. In reality, news is a very competitive business, and none of them want to give away their questions or story angles in open session. It didn't surprise me much that they didn't speak up. They all got one-on-ones with the key individuals on their own anyway, and that's where their business gets done. I saw all three Sioux Falls TV stations, WNAX, Argus Leader, and Collegian reporters in attendance.

Oh, and I almost forgot. There was free SDSU ice cream after the event.

Comment

Ah, hell, beer and nickburgers for everyone!!! LOL!!!
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

It truly is a great day in the Jackrabbit Nation. Brad & Scotty from 910 radio in Brookings were also there. Their sportsshow has always giving SDSU tremendous coverage.

Comment

The press conference was a wonderful event with a great mix of the SDSU community present. I'm very proud to be an SDSU alum and Jackrabbit fan today!

Comment

Craig and Mike will have Dr. Oien, and Commissioner Tom Douple on their show:

http://www.kwsn.com/

Go State!

Comment

what great timing, too. Just as the 2006 athletic season is to kick off.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

WE HAVE A HOME WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM!!!!!!!

I went to the press conference and echo all of the comments that jackphd had above.

I will add that Dr. Oien appropriately gave the longest address. He thanked everyone that had been a part of this process starting with Gov. Rounds even before he was the elected to that office. He spent most of his address focusing on who this is really for, the students.

There were a lot of student-athletes there and everyone was very excited, especially the men's basketball players.

Take a minute and view the video at www.gojacks.com when it becomes available.

Congratulations to all Jackrabbit fans, we've just made the big time!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X