Be grateful for Steve Imming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be grateful for Steve Imming

I checked out USD's basketball webcasts (I wish SDSU had something like that) and was subjected to the worst play-by-play announcer I've ever heard. I'm not exaggerating -- the worst, bar none. I don't know his name (I'm not sure I want to know), but he sounds as if he's doing a lame impersonation of a schlocky announcer. There must be a special circle of hell where really bad sinners are forced to listen to this guy for eternity.

Re: Be grateful for Steve Imming

Agreed: Steve Imming is an outstanding play-by-play announcer. We are lucky to have him.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SD4Life
      I checked out USD's basketball webcasts (I wish SDSU had something like that) and was subjected to the worst play-by-play announcer I've ever heard. I'm not exaggerating -- the worst, bar none. I don't know his name (I'm not sure I want to know), but he sounds as if he's doing a lame impersonation of a schlocky announcer. There must be a special circle of hell where really bad sinners are forced to listen to this guy for eternity.
      I think you were listening to either the father and son or both Cuhlane's who also have a daily sports show on 1590 AM which is a Vermillion/Yankton station. I like their sports show as they seem to get more details than maybe what SDSU and WNAX allow under their contract. The contract kind of controls the length and content of the pre and post game shows on WNAX. I think right now USD seem to be more in a promotional mode than SDSU, and maybe we don't have to go extra time before and after games. That would be my guess.

I dont care for some of the Culhane  demeanor its often kind of smart alecky. It leaves a lot to be desired.

Steve Imming on the other hand is very professional, and fits the South Dakota humble low key image that we all try to maintain. Back in the NCC days, when there were back to back games in Brookings, you would see Steve at Perkins. He was very quiet, but always greeted the fans. I suppose if you wanted to spoil his meal, you could sit down and strike up a conversation, but that was not me. I also have listen him daily on WNAX and they try to have humor with the morning show with Steve Crawford. Sometimes Steve is on in the afternoon 4 to 6 with local talk host Jake Weber. Steve has what I call a dead pan sense of humor, but its always clean and often funny.

Comment

The play-by-play guy for u. is Kevin Culhane, the afternoon talk show host is his nephew Jeffey.

Comment

I am new to this site and am very excited to find it, living is SE SD, we get a little overdosed by the U. Culhane and his nephew do have a very high opinion of themselves and the U., it seems they can do no wrong...Steve does a very good job of being unbiased and just calls the game. Cully, however, is such a homer I can't stand it. It is more about him than it is the game...

Comment

I was a big fan of the play-by-play as it was called by the late Norm Hilson.  I was really concerned about what would happen to the way the games were called on the radio when his replacement was needed.  I have also been extremely pleased with the way Mr. Imming does the job.  I will not attempt to compare the two.  There is absolutely no reason to do so.  I appreciated Mr. Hilson.  I continue to appreciate Mr. Imming!

Comment

Very well put West River Jack. I knew Norm very well and he and Steve have their own styles. I think we can be fortunate we have had the opportunity to listen to both. You are correct, no need to compare...

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
                I was a big fan of the play-by-play as it was called by the late Norm Hilson.  I was really concerned about what would happen to the way the games were called on the radio when his replacement was needed.  I have also been extremely pleased with the way Mr. Imming does the job.  I will not attempt to compare the two.  There is absolutely no reason to do so.  I appreciated Mr. Hilson.  I continue to appreciate Mr. Imming!
                Mr Hilson has at least 2 sons who live in Yankton now and both are great guys. I believe Norm did some work for USD too. Steve does a good job and I appreciate that. WNAX does a great job and I am extremely happy that they are our Jackrabbits radio station. I wish we could get them to commit more time to FB, pre-game, post-game, game week. I would be happy to help sponsor more exposure. Jerry O, Steve, several others are big SDSU supporters.

As for the Cullhanes. They are big time homers but they do service USD well. They tend to be blinded by the same arrogance that costs most USD fans the perspective they need to get along with your average SD citizen but thats more the USD culture than the Cullhane's fault. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

SDSU gave up their contract with WNAX briefly in 1989 or there abouts. USD step in and grab it. SDSU had paid WNAX to cover the games, and SDSU then had control over who supports the broadcast with advertizing. I believe its been a positive cash flow working it this way as opposed to selling the broadcast rights for a price and then the radio station gets what is left over after ads are sold. What triggered the breach with SDSU was WNAX wanted more money from SDSU when the contract was to be renewed and the AD at that time said no thanks.

I know that it was painful for Norm being so close to SDSU for all the years prior when SDSU gave up the broadcast contract to USD. His side kick Joe Van Goor was a USD grad and was all smiles when USD took over the contract. Norm passed away shortly after that change. About maybe two years later USD gave up on the contract with WNAX since they could not find the money to make it work. WNAX would not work the contract in any other fashion.  Joe Van Goor and Jerry Oster handled at least one season of SDSU Football after Norm died and then, SDSU more or less put pressure on WNAX to get a new sports guy since our admin did not feel comfortable with Van Goor doing the broadcasts. At this point in time, Steve Emming was hired and replaced Van Goor who was very unhappy. Van Goor sent at least one letter to the editor of the Brookings Register that was very critical of SDSU adminstration that I recall. He also was very vocal when we had a sudden change in basketball coachs at SDSU about a year or two later. John Gross an alum from Madison and others gave a gifts sufficent to SDSU Foundation to get WNAX back doing SDSU games and thats where we are today. Just based on the USD history with WNAX, I am wondering if USD will have similar problems in meeting their budget. They had a chance to grab WNAX away from us and they could not hold on because they could not raise the funds and sell the ads. Maybe things are different at USD now. Who knows?

Son Chris Hilson was on WNAX and worked some with the football broadcast briefly. He seemed to be a great guy as was the legend his father Norm.

Both Norm and Steve have been real assets to SDSU athletics and to the entire Jack Community.  

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbitdw
                    The play-by-play guy for u. is Kevin Culhane, the afternoon talk show host is his nephew Jeffey.
                    Thanks. I knew they were blood relatives. I kind of hold my nose when I listen to the sports show occasionally on the web as that Vermin station hardly goes west of Mitchell and north of Sioux Falls. Not a strong AM signal. There coverage is interesting and different from KJJQ as I dont recall there is any high school coverage on their program.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                      [quote author=West-River_Jack
                      As for the Cullhanes.  They are big time homers but they do service USD well.  They tend to be blinded by the same arrogance that costs most USD fans the perspective they need to get along with your average SD citizen but thats more the USD culture than the Cullhane's fault.
                      You aren't really looking to be taken serious here, are you? This is just too perfect that this comment would come from the most arrogant guy on this site.

As for Kevin Culhane I wouldn't say he's arrogant, but I would say he's a big time homer. It can be tough to listen to a game, because you don't really know whether you are getting screwed or not. He acts like every call is so darn bad you just don't know if you should really be upset or not. He also will sometimes get so into the game that he doesn't do a good job of letting the listener know exactly what's going on. I could see where opposing fans would really hate him.

The younger Culhane, Jeff, has a pretty good sports talk show on 1570. I don't know if many of you ever listen to that, but I think you would find that much better than Kevin Culhane's play by play of games. He has a good interview with Stig the other day talking about State's recruiting class.

Some Spencer guy and I think Jeff were doing the announcing on the web cast the other night. I don't know if they always do it, but they were bad. It was kind of funny. Even though the announcing was bad, it was very nice getting to see the game, being that I wasn't able to make it. I wish they were able to do that for road games as well.

Comment

Are these the same people that do football for them also? I listened to a football game from them this last season after hearing that it was the most god aweful broadcast. If it is the same people, Why do they refer to the football team as the red swarm? Last i knew, cyaotes don't swarp. Also If the other team made a good play, they would not give credit to them, it was always USD made a little mistake and they got lucky if they scored. It was always USD did something great or they messed up, it was never the other team actually making a good play. Who USD should hire for game play by play, is one of their own, Mr Lueth. He was a journalism teacher at Washington in SF and did football and basketball with an unbiasedness that is rarely heard. He was fair to all teams no matter what the game. I guess he wasn't a radio play by play but in house annoucner. For what Steve does is vary fair. He has fairly insightful analysis and always upbeat. he never down plays how good or bad either team is playing and can provide some humor in his play by play.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think Kevin Culhane is dreadful on the Coyote Broadcasts. I also believe Jeff Culhane has one of the best sports talk shows in the state and while they focus on Coyote Sports as you would expect they also provide some balance with Jack coaches and others on the show. KWSN for being in the states largest market IMHO is a very poor production. I enjoy Steve Imming's broadcast, but think WNAX needs to step up the depth of their Jacks coverage significantly. Going on the air 15 minutes before the game does not seem to give me enough information. At least they have added a player interview after the game. I hope to see some expanded coverage for the upcoming football season.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                            You aren't really looking to be taken serious here, are you?  This is just too perfect that this comment would come from the most arrogant guy on this site.
                            Its a web forum, take me as seriously as you would like. I've personally seen the Cullhanes in action and I listen to Jeff on a fairly regular basis. Joe is often with one or the other. You can choose to acknowledge their arrogance or not. I never said I wasn't arrogant when it comes to the topic of USD vs SDSU, especially on this forum. I attended both universities and now I am a faculty member at USD. People know my allegiance as it pertains to college athletics. There is definitely a feeling that USD is superior to SDSU in every way, regardless of fact. Arrogance is not always harmful, I would argue that any day.

I enjoy your perspective, juice, and I look forward to more interactions with you. Thats part of why I enjoy this forum so much. Its an opportunity to interact in a different fashion than most of my daily interactions. Sometimes I look to offend and I hope no feelings are hurt, at least not too badly.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This is a touch off the topic, but does WNAX broadcast over the whole state? It seems USD has several stations broadcasting games all over. Also where is that deal with kelo for for getting some of our sports on TV? They still working on a contract?
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X