Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alabama

Enjoyed the game immensely!!!! Definitely ran Tide into fouls, and that puts us at line, and we win a LOT of games due to FT.

Over 10 wins before Jan. and including 6 or 7 in top 100 (depends on which poll), Ark St. is climbing (theoretically worse loss). I hope that Frost is available in March for hosting WNIT! not hosting State championships. I would LOVE to get into the UBC with < 6 losses, and run the UBC.

NDSU could end up being the other tough team in the UBC this year. It'll be interesting to see how they do in here in AL three days after us.

Comment

I thought this game was tomorrow night, don't know what I was thinking >. Sounds like the Jacks played some good ball though. Good win!

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about the game tonight as well. Hoping to make it on Sunday.

Comment

From the University of Alabama Crimson Tide web site
          http://www.rolltide.com/SportSelect....mp;SPSID=37473

[hr]

Second Half Drought Ends Tide Home Win Streak
          Release: 12/28/2006

Box Score  http://www.rolltide.com/downloads1/1...mp;SPSID=37473

TUSCALOOSA – On the heels of a difficult second half on the offensive end, the Crimson Tide women’s basketball team lost its first game in Coleman Coliseum and ended its eight-game home win streak with a 65-54 loss to visiting South Dakota State in non-conference action.

“We played well enough on both ends, at times, to have a chance to win tonight,” said head coach Stephany Smith. “On the offensive end, we executed pretty well and had some good looks at the basket, but we just couldn’t get them to fall.”

Alabama, 9-5, played well early and led by as many as seven points in the first half. South Dakota State clawed back, though, overcoming some early shooting woes to earn a three-point advantage at the break.

After a brief flurry to open the second half, the Tide defense dug in its heels. Alabama held the Jackrabbits scoreless from the field for nearly four minutes following a Navonda Moore steal and coast-to-coast layup.

However, the Alabama offense was equally ineffective, and the Tide was unable to capitalize on the SDSU slump. Alabama scored just one field goal in an eight-minute span, and the visiting Jacks, a team that has received votes in the top 25 polls this season, took advantage.

“We missed a lot of layups tonight,” said Smith. “We had only six assists and 21 turnovers, but the main reason behind our lack of assists was our inability to make easy shots.” . . . (read more)

<89rabbit writes: Quote and excerpt around here, please. Do not post entire contents of articles. Thanks.>

Comment

Good game lady jacks, funny we shot better from the 3 point line then field goals (35.7% tp 35.2%).

Only shot 68% from the line fpr the game.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
              Yeah, I forgot about the game tonight as well.  Hoping to make it on Sunday.

Hey, I'll be back. Not sure if I'll make it to the game though, may be hunting instead (depends on if it's raining/snowing). Give me a call.

Comment

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20...612290355/1011

Alabama too slow for Jackrabbits

By Tommy Deas
                Sports Writer

TUSCALOOSA | The University of Alabama women’s basketball team did what it needed to do to put itself in position to pull out a come-from-behind victory Thursday night, but it was South Dakota State that finished the job.

The Crimson Tide scored seven unanswered points in a span of 90 seconds to pull within three points with a little over 31/2 minutes to go at Coleman Coliseum, but never scored another point in a 65-54 loss.

The Jackrabbits (10-3) added Alabama to a list of victims that includes Southern Cal, Virginia, Kansas and Colorado, ending the Tide’s home winning streak at eight games. Alabama fell to 9-5.

“We fought," senior guard Navonda Moore said. “They fought. They just pushed a little harder. They were the tougher team tonight.

“It’s very disappointing. To go undefeated in non-conference in our home games was one of our goals when our season began."  .  .  .  

“The scouting report - bold, loud and clear - was everyone shoots the 3," Smith said. “We had covered that, but we did not defend it very well.

“South Dakota State took advantage of all those lulls in our defense. Make no mistake. That is a very good basketball team."

Said senior guard Kate Mastin, “I guess we were trying to help [inside] too much and we didn’t get enough ball pressure and they got open looks."

Alabama will host North Dakota State on Saturday at 7 p.m.  (read more)

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...26/1002/SPORTS

SDSU topples Alabama by 11

By staff reports
                  PUBLISHED: December 29, 2006

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Megan Vogel scored a game-high 24 points and starting guards Andrea Verdegan and Ashlea Muckenhirn also reached double figures as South Dakota State defeated Alabama 65-54 in women's basketball action Thursday night at Coleman Coliseum.

SDSU improved to 10-3 overall and 3-0 all-time against the Crimson Tide. Alabama dropped to 9-5 while losing for the first time in nine home games this season. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

What a great win for the ladies! Just awesome!

I was only able to hear a little of the first half which was after our inititial run and then we ended up down ten. They must have really picked it up in the second half!

This game was a concern for me because of the holiday break and all of those distractions and to then have to go on the road is rough on a team. It would have been very easy to be flat but they just keep there motors running at full speed.

Hopefully the storm will miss South Dakota because these ladies deserve a great crowd for the Marquette game!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Been out of touch. Great win for the Jacks! Congratulations!
                      www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

Postscript:

Tonight's final, Alabama 78, NDSU 53.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I found this quote odd, although we are not Tennessee or LSU we are 3-0 vs. the Tide (with two of the games played in Tuscaloosa). :-?

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/p...701030360/1004

Tide newcomers know all about Vols’ mystique

By Tommy Deas
                          Sports Writer
                          January 03. 2007 3:30AM

TUSCALOOSA | The University of Alabama women’s basketball team will be baptized under fire tonight at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., home of the Tennessee Lady Vols.

Fourth-ranked Tennessee owns one of the sport’s greatest traditions. The Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame is located just a few miles from UT’s arena. Head coach Pat Summitt has more than 900 wins and six national championships. No less than 10 former Lady Vols players are on WNBA rosters in the professional ranks.

The Crimson Tide will take a roster with seven newcomers to the major college ranks, including six true freshmen, into an environment unlike anything they’ve ever experienced before to open Southeastern Conference play.

“Who?" freshman point guard Nikki Davis said when asked what she knew about Tennessee’s mystique. “I’m just kidding.

“As little girls, everyone imagines playing in the SEC and playing against the top teams. Just being on the court and looking up at the lights and into the stands, I’m looking forward to it."

Alabama coach Stephany Smith admits there’s nothing she can do to prepare her team for what it’s about to experience. Tennessee has beaten the Tide 33 times in a row.

South Dakota State, North Dakota State, that’s not Tennessee and LSU," she said, comparing the SEC elite to Alabama’s last two opponents. “I think we’ve put ourselves in position to play with confidence in the Southeastern Conference.

“There is no way for me to prepare our 12-player, seven-newcomer roster for what we’re about to run into. We are staying right next to the Hall of Fame, so we might see that. It ought to be fun. It’s a great environment to play in." . . . (read more)

Oh well, I guess we just need to spank them again!

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                            I found this quote odd, although we are not Tennessee or LSU we are 3-0 vs. the Tide (with two of the games played in Tuscaloosa).  :-?

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/p...701030360/1004

Tide newcomers know all about Vols’ mystique

By Tommy Deas
                            Sports Writer
                            January 03. 2007 3:30AM

TUSCALOOSA | The University of Alabama women’s basketball team will be baptized under fire tonight at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., home of the Tennessee Lady Vols.

Fourth-ranked Tennessee owns one of the sport’s greatest traditions. The Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame is located just a few miles from UT’s arena. Head coach Pat Summitt has more than 900 wins and six national championships. No less than 10 former Lady Vols players are on WNBA rosters in the professional ranks.

The Crimson Tide will take a roster with seven newcomers to the major college ranks, including six true freshmen, into an environment unlike anything they’ve ever experienced before to open Southeastern Conference play.

“Who?" freshman point guard Nikki Davis said when asked what she knew about Tennessee’s mystique. “I’m just kidding.

“As little girls, everyone imagines playing in the SEC and playing against the top teams. Just being on the court and looking up at the lights and into the stands, I’m looking forward to it."

Alabama coach Stephany Smith admits there’s nothing she can do to prepare her team for what it’s about to experience. Tennessee has beaten the Tide 33 times in a row.

South Dakota State, North Dakota State, that’s not Tennessee and LSU," she said, comparing the SEC elite to Alabama’s last two opponents. “I think we’ve put ourselves in position to play with confidence in the Southeastern Conference.

“There is no way for me to prepare our 12-player, seven-newcomer roster for what we’re about to run into. We are staying right next to the Hall of Fame, so we might see that. It ought to be fun. It’s a great environment to play in."  .  .  .  (read more)

Oh well, I guess we just need to spank them again!  

Go State!  

Yep, I'd love to see us 33-0 vs an SEC team!!!
                            3-0 is the start, hope they give us more shots!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                              I found this quote odd, although we are not Tennessee or LSU we are 3-0 vs. the Tide (with two of the games played in Tuscaloosa).  :-?

I took it as that was her point. She has a young team that just split with SDSU/NDSU, and now she has to get them ready for Tennessee. They are now going against a different level of competition, and while I wish we were at the Vols level, we aren't.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Tonight: Tennessee 72, Alabama 36.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X