Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD

Originally posted by mrsports
    They just enjoy seeing SDSU getting their butts kicked.
    Some things never change.  The Wabbits were mediocre in the NCC and it looks like they are continuing that tradition now that they've gone Division I.  The women will probably have a decent record in basketball as I notice they are playing quite a few NAIA schools. Has anyone heard when Notre Dame or UConn might be making a trip to Brookings?  
    Mrs. Ports,

How many SEC teams does USD have on their schedule this year?  We beat one yesterday, Kentucky.  How many Pac 10 teams do you have on your schedule?  We are playing one today Oregon St.  

The sports headlines from the Argus today went something like this.

SDSU scores historic win over Kentuky

USD men capture overtime victory (over Colorado School of Mines).

Enough said, go find a D-II board to play on.

By the way, not sure when Notre Dame or UConn are coming to Brookings, but  the USC Trojans are contracted to come to Frost Arena.  Give me any "Big Time" school that is coming to Vermtown.

P.S.  SDSU is playing Notre Dame in Baseball this spring.  Who is on your baseball schedule?  Opps, Sorry Mrs. Ports, I forgot you don't have a baseball team anymore.

Comment

Mrs. Ports,

I almost forgot, Southern University (you know the team that SDSU beat earlier this year) is playing on National TV (NBC) right now.  Check it out.  I wonder if Peru St. has ever even been on NE Public TV?

Comment

Funny that a usd fan would bring up scheduling cupcake schools.... Did you see who the yotes played in football this year?? : : ;D ;D ;D

The Alabama Crimson tide are also coming to Frost next year!!

Comment

Don't let Mrs. Ports or any others like her get to you. How would you feel if one of your hardworking, respectable, enthusiastic, optimistic, etc.. co-workers received a promotion, bonus, raise, elevation in quality of life, etc.. because of their merits?

Oh yeah, beacause you are all of the things I just used to describe your co-worker you would be happy for them. Soon the same rewards will come your way.

However, Mrs. Ports is a USD student, alumni, fan, sympathizer (like Mike_H) so they feel jealous, angry, upset, disappointed, etc.. Take your pick. They know given their current situation that the future holds nothing deserving of aspirations, in turn, they have none. Instead they resort to outright insults and projections of failure or more subtle undertones (as heard on the Craig and Mike show) expressing dislike for their more successful and aspiring associate.

When they need us (they will come knocking), we will be there, but for now its best just to ignore them. I for one prefer to minimize the annoyances of life.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

jackmd: What the hell are you talking about? You don't listen to our show, and I know that in your business, you would never rely on a third word opinion, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
              jackmd: What the hell are you talking about? You don't listen to our show, and I know that in your business, you would never rely on a third word opinion, right?
              This is my current opinion, opinions can change. A longer explanation:

I did catch your show on Wednesday while returning for the holiday. Third time I have heard it and each time I hear hints that suggest an underlying disapproval regarding SDSU and the move to DI. I suspect I am more sensitive to this undertone than a completely objective listener so I have had conversations with those who consider themselves supporters of the DI move and those who are oppossed. The majority have tended to agree with my opinion.

Craig and yourself do not support SDSU in its move to DI, therefore, your show is biased against SDSU. Doesn't matter how many SDSU coaches, administrators, fans, you have on the air. When the opportunity arises to "stick it to" SDSU, you guys jump at it.

This, of course, is only my opinion. Perhaps I have listened on days when there are more opporunities to be anti-SDSU. Your discussions about amateur baseball, high school sports (strong SE South Dakota slant), Sioux Falls "pro" teams and fantasy sports are excellent. As for DI athletics, I suspect you'll get better with time.

Finally, don't take my discourse too seriously. This is under the smack thread and intended as just that. USD has little to concern itself regarding its standing as an excellent doctoral granting, public, liberal arts university. Its probably the best one of those in the Dakotas. As for its athletic programs, time will tell.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I listened on Wed. also. Mike, SDSU played Presentation College last season, just so you know.

Comment

JackMD- I agree with your thoughts about ignoring some of these drive by posters who are simply trying to get a reaction. Not sure how that relates to the content on the Craig and Mike show. I have become an internet listener to the show especially on Tuesdays and while I realize the Jack Report is a paid advertisement I suspect it has encouraged more discussion about the Jacks on the show. I wished the show would discuss a specific topic (SDSU's move to DI) and then encourage callers to call in and give their opinions. I'm not sure what percentage of the Craig and Mike listening audience actually calls in. They act like they know everyone who calls and so maybe the number of first time callers is limited. I guess I don't have a big problem with the show other than there are too many guests which for the hosts is much easier to carry the show.

Comment

Earlier this fall after saying goodbye to my father, I took some time to visit many of his old haunts.  In an attempt to help me move forward.  He grew up on a farm near Tabor.  He also spent a great deal of time in Yankton.  While making this pilgrimage I listened to Craig and Mike.  It was just after the Red Sox won the World Series.  Mark Ovenden was on and he also had just lost his father.  But I digress.

Point of my story is that  while driving and listening to Craig and Mike it hit me.  KWSN's signal doesn't reach Brookings.  However, it comes in crystal clear in Tabor, Yankton and Vermillion.  That being said it is only logical to assume that many of their listeners/callers would have a pro-USD or Anti-SDSU bias.

One might take the next step and say that Craig and Mike are giving the people what they want.  Be it consciously or not.  If they are no shame in that.  After all they are in a business that is driven by ratings and advertising dollars.

As time marches on, I believe that the numbers of SDSU fans in Craig and Mike's listening area will increase and perhaps the listeners and callers will become more SDSU friendly.  Perhaps this change in support will be reflected by our hosts as well.  After all we are South Dakota's only D-I University, and we serve the entire state.   ;D

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Let me quickly add this, I don't believe Craig and Mike have any obligation to support, oppose, or be ambivalent about the move as long as they allow for fair and proper discussion regarding SDSU. In fact, they can stand in blatant opposition if they are clear about their opinions. Time and time again, Mike_H denies feeling one way or another and yet I hear clear evidence to the contrary (al biet on rare occasions). Maybe I'm dead wrong here, if so, just tell me.

Comment

jackmd: I don't recall even talking about or refering to SDSU on Wednesday. Are you sure it was not some of the OTHER voices in your head?

Comment

You are joking right?  You had Chris Solari on the show and talked about the Butler and Manhattan trip.  You also took a shot at SDSU for scheduling Presentaion College while you two were talking about MSU-Mankato vs "Tiny" Crossroads College.

Comment

jackguy: We had that discussion a lot a couple of years ago, when the move was still being discussed. We don't talk about it anymore because the move has been made. As for knowing our callers, while we do get some that call in on a regular basis, today we took about 10 calls and I knew who three of them were. We may sound like we know them, but that is our way of trying to make them feel comfortable, and also covering ourselves, because we may have had them call before, or we may have met them sometime.

One other thing. Our show is "guest driven" by design. Saying we have too many guests is like watching a drama and then asking "why are those people so serious?". As for being "much easier to carry", you may be right, or not. I do know it is more informative to get the people that are actually involved in sports on the air rather than have us talk about it for 10 hours a week.

Comment

If the intent of the Craig and Mike show is to load the show with as many guests as possible than you are realizing your goals. I have lived in many large metro areas listening to the local sports radio stations and typically they balance interviews with a format of open calls. Case in Point on todays show: I'm not sure the fact the Canaries are testing a new hotdog and want to advertise this on your show is news warranting on the air time? Why don't they just buy add space? I realize you have to balance a lot in 2 hours of time and in most cases many interviews are just someone marketing their product.

Comment

This doesn't seem to be the direction this thread is going, but here I go. I have listened to the Jackrabbit Report on the Web a couple of times. I thought it was pretty good. Whether or not Mike_H loves or hates SDSU, I thought that on the Jackrabbit Report he was professional and asked good questions. It was fun to hear the coaches talk about their teams for more than just a couple of minutes as they do before games.

Comment

Working...
                                X