Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD

Originally posted by jackmd

The hard fact is that USD will soon be equivalent to DSU, Augie, etc.. when it comes to athletics.  If Northern can survive the slow decline occuring in Aberdeen they will be the premier DII basketball school in the state, if they aren't already.  I suspect USD will remain at the top of the track, volleyball, and FB ranks in the new NSIC even with reduction in scholarships (down to the low 20's for FB).  This takes nothing away from the academic opportunities at USD.  Look at the bright side, its not that long a drive from Vermillion to Brookings.  SDSU fans and others interested in watching athletes compete at the highest collegiate level can easily make the trip north.  Student athletes with the best abilities will have the option to attend an in-state DI university and those who desire can still select USD, DSU, NSU, Augie or another team from that conference.  Granted, scholarships will be at a minimum but the best will still be eligible.

Long story short, the move to DI widens the gap between SDSU and USD to one that is essentially insurmountable.  No degree of potential payouts, gate receipts, rekindling of old rivalries, etc.. can stem this gap.  I just can't see how it will happen unless USD moves up and I this just isn't feasible in the foreseeble future.
    Hopefully State will get those D-I quality athletes so people can drive up and enjoy some high quality D-I games. If they are like a lot of those low level D-I teams then we can watch better games right in Vermillion. There would be no point in driving up to Brookings to watch State either play another low level D-I team that we know nothing about, or watch them get beat real bad to a good D-I team. Like I said, that is only if you don't get the recruits you need to be successful. There are a lot of poor D-I teams out there. I hope State doesn't end up as one of them. I'm not saying they will or won't, I can't predict that and neither can anyone else (although I'm sure many are eager to try.) I really do hope they are very successful, because I would enjoy watching SDSU play a big game against Iowa or somebody like that, and not just play them but beat them.

Comment

Staying on topic, but changing directions. What will happen to the 'Yotes when the NCC disbands? All throughout this board there are hints that when the NCC folds the remaining teams will be absorbed by the NSIC. Flawed logic IMO. Minn-Duluth was the only team from the NSIC that applied for membership to the NCC when the invitation was accepted. The rest of the league is/was satisfied with the current membership and basically thumbed their collective noses at the remaining NCC schools. I can see St. Cloud and Mankato possibly getting into the NSIC. UND moves DI. Auggie goes DIII. UNO goes south. And USD???? Looks like Northern could become the dominant DII school in the state if USD is left out in the cold. Granted, this could be 5 years down the road, but it could take that long to find a new place to call home. Do you think Duluth is regretting their move to the NCC? I think so.

Comment

Four letters GPAC! USD will have great rivalries with Augie (also going GPAC), USF, and Morningside. ;D

Comment

Let's be a little bit realistic about this. First and foremost, I hope I sense some sarcasm that USD is going to the GPAC. Come on, that's like saying SDSU is going to the Big 10...we all know those things aren't happening...at least in the next 50 years. The truth is the NCC completely hinges on UND...that's no secret. If it should happen the following will likely occur. Minnesota-State and St. Cloud State will form an all-Minnesota conference with Winona State, MSU-Moorhead, Bemidji State, and Southwest State (also could include Crookston, CSP, and Duluth if they decide to make it an all-inclusive Minnesota conference, however, I have heard that they were going to form one with just the STATE schools). What happens next could be a bunch of other scenarios. Augie could look long and hard at NAIA or DIII, or they could fight to stay at DII like all of the other schools would. One scenario I have heard from some officials in the NCC would be to completely start over and form a conference with Northern State, Minnesota-Duluth, Augustana, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, UNO, CSP, and USD. I can't imagine what that would be like...first and foremost weird, and secondly I am not sure if that really makes sense on top of it. The other scenario would be for USD to make a pitch to become the "Northern Colorado" of the MIAA or the RMAC...both are likely long shots...beyond that USD could entertain the DI thing again but without a conference...and they would certainly be without one...and without the town to support it...that would be the last option at best. After looking at UND's gusses for what it would take financially to support the move to Division One I cannot fathom what it would take and what kind of a struggle it would be for the state of South Dakota to support two Division One programs that exist in towns that don't measure up to Fargo and Grand Forks.

Comment

Working...
          X