Coaching Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching Staff

I had heard that his religious beliefs had made the job appealing to him...however, one has to imagine that this would have been about the only things (besides being an absolute powerhouse) that would be appealing for him. I would guess that it pays about 50K or so...and a fair guess on his contract at SDSU would be 80K to 90K I would suspect...can't really justify that to your family can you?

Comment

Coyotefanatic has is right. The main point of initial interest in the USF job was based on his religious interests not professional. I'm glad he has stayed however I want to start seeing an upgrade in this staffs ability to recruit and confirm some of the best players out there.

Comment

Originally posted by coyotefanatic
        I had heard that his religious beliefs had made the job appealing to him...however, one has to imagine that this would have been about the only things (besides being an absolute powerhouse) that would be appealing for him. I would guess that it pays about 50K or so...and a fair guess on his contract at SDSU would be 80K to 90K I would suspect...can't really justify that to your family can you?
        A Lutheran going after a Baptist job? I dont think so. And what so religious about USF? I think this talk about Stig and USF is way out of hand. If Stig was going to a religious school, I could see him at Augsburg or Concordia in Moorhead maybe, but I think he is happy at SDSU and so far so good. Lets leave it at.

Comment

"And what so religious about USF? "

You are kidding, right? And "a Lutheran after a Baptist job"? Please tell me you are kidding.

Comment

Maybe Mike H. will confirm but I thought in an interview he expressed a small bit of distaste for the way recruiting works at this level. Anyone who knows Stig knows that for him its not about climbing up or down the ladder. Don't discount him being interested in a smaller school job.

Comment

So far this thread has touched on religious beliefs...money...moving down a step. I think JackTwice said it right that you don't count anything out. No one knows what Coach Stig is thinking. He may not like what's involved in being a IAA coach. If he takes a lesser paying job is he really hurting his family...who knows. His kids are getting older, so their dependence on him is less. Cost of living in Brookings even for a family his size could probably be covered by his salary pretty well. It all comes down to what Stig wants. If he entertained talks from USF, good for him for keeping his options open. Again, just because he had a good year doesn't mean he's 100% happy with where he's at. Do you think any coach likes staff turnover like Stig has had (three coaches in the past 12 months). USF got their coach, Stig is still our coach, and if he leaves someone will want to make their mark with our program.

Comment

SDSUFAN's earlier post inquired about offering the job and whether USF had to open their position to a certain number of candidates. I think ActionJack's response is correct. SDSU has some rules to follow because it is a state institution. Those rules would not apply to USF (unless, of course, USF decided to adopt comparable rules).

Stig's salary is a matter of public record. I'm not sure what his salary is but it should be discoverable.

A few years ago, USD's student newspaper, the Volante, published all of the USD coaches' salaries. It was interesting reading.

Nice job by the women's BB team tonight, kicking Texas State San Marcos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                  "And what so religious about USF? "

You are kidding, right? And "a Lutheran after a Baptist job"? Please tell me you are kidding.
                  Mike:
                  What I was referring to is the affliation between USF and the American Baptist denomination. If its like your alma mater Dana College and Evangelical Luthern Church in America, its not very religious when it comes to financial support.  As a fact when I was a Nebraska Synod Delegate to the ELCA in 1998, I learned that Dana and Midland Lutheran got a big heapy financial stipident from the Nebraska  Synod that was equal to $40,000.  Also these schools are tuition driven and can pretty much choose their poison in running their schools. No longer is chapel a daily requirement, nor are your required to take religious courses.

My point is any atheist who wants and can afford USF can do so.  The religious affliation seems to mean less and less as time goes on.

I have no idea what is going on in Coach Stig's mind. I know he takes his personal religion very serious and that is his business and his alone.  Whether he has problems with the recruiting etc, I dont know either, but why do people want to speculate about it?  DeBoer has the USF iob and John Thune is SD junior senator, can we talk about something else?

Comment

Stig was never serious about USF. USF wanted his name out there to get people talking. As far as USF being religious, maybe a little. They have some profs and students and a now former coach who are very religious. The actions don't always back up what they profess. Football players don't go to USF for religious reasons and either do coaches. They are either not good enough for NCC or SDSU, not smart enough to be NCAA eligible, or transfer out of NCC schools where they aren't getting playing time.

In the long run, Stig will be out at SDSU. He would certainly be able to land a better job than USF.

Comment

SDSUFAN: USF owns a seminary.

Also, we Lutherans are now allowed to date, and even, dare I say it, MARRY Baptists! We are not, however, allowed to dance with them.

Comment

Also, we Lutherans are now allowed to date, and even, dare I say it, MARRY Baptists! We are not, however, allowed to dance with them.
                        Oh geez, couldn't let it go, could you. Catholics can't date or marry baptists. As for dancing and other activities.....
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I did forget the religious training of the seminary and USF is religious in that sense. How many semiarians play football or attend undergraduate courses taught by secular humanists who are hired for their teaching credentials and not their religious beliefs? Few I would think.

I give credit to the religious affliated private colleges for hiring very good faculty and I doubt the very good ones are subjected to a religious interagation before hiring.

Comment

Working...
                          X