Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doubleheader Weekend!

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
    I would like to see more double headers, but I fear its a thing of the past, as both BB programs can raise a bunch of dollars by playing games separately. Although a doubleheader is bargin for the fan, its also kind of condesending role for the women. Playing the first game of two makes them the "B" team or the JV. Having a separate schedule will definitely pay off down the road. When you go to these games in the future, you go to see the women not the men.

I'm not trying to argue with you here but I think the women would choose to play double headers with the men, even though their games are played first.  While it might make them look like the JV game, it does dramatically increase their attendance.  They have noticed how many fans attend a lot of these D-I games and I would think playing in front of that few of fans would make it seem even more like a JV game.  Granted the State women would get more fans on their own than a lot of D-I women programs, but it still wouldn't be as many fans as they would get playing double headers with the women.  Whether the fans come to see the women or the men they are going to cheer their a$$es off for the women once they are at the game. Some women's bball programs are able to stand on their own--such as Southwest Missouri St.  Maybe SDSU's will get there, but I bet if you ask the women on the team right now they would choose to play double headers.  I could be wrong.
    I think the women have been more successful because SD girls basketball is some of the best in the nation. South Sioux City has had numerous girls teams ranked towards the top in the nation and SD has had many teams that would have been able to beat them.  Last year Roosevelt--with a 4th place team--beat South Sioux City by double digits and S.S.C. went on to win their 9th title in 10 years in Nebraska.  SDSU's women should always be able to be competitve in D-I. The NCC while being a strong conference overall, was exceptionally strong in women's basketball.
    Sports Bluff you arguing and I dont want to listen to it. The majority on this board does not give a ra@s a@@ about how it was done last year as a D2 institution.  You are probably one of those cheap a@@s who think you should have a doubleheader every game. Sorry, but this is not the USD board, I dont care about USD, Augie or any of this bunch. I dont care about South Sioux Nebraska.  I guess you havent gotten the word. SDSU has move on to D1 so either shut up or move over to the USD board.  The Argus has such a board, but very few post over there. I wonder why?    
    What did I miss in reading these posts.  I see nothing in sportsbuffs post that warrants an attack.  Yes, he's been a thorn for a majority of his posts, but this one is right in line with the flow of this thread.

Unfortunately I won't be able to see either of the men or women in person this year.  I'll agree that double headers were nice from the fan's perspective in that one would get to see both teams play. But also agree that they are a thing of the past.  DI schools just don't schedule double headers.  It will take time for the fan base to adjust, but if the women continue to be successful like they have early in this season, there is no reason they can't draw a decent number for their games against some of the more recognizable opponents.  Just what that number of fans will be remains the unanswerable question.

**89Rabbit - feel free to modify if you see fit.

Comment

Sports Bluff:
      Its not for me to like or dislike doubleheaders. Its part of the move to D1. Even if everyone on here wrote letters, its not likely to be changed. Apparenently sdman does not have a season ticket as that would be the only way for him to be selective about what game he attends. If he has a season ticket, he is not getting his money's worth by staying home. I wish I were 54 miles from Frost.

I drive 250 one way for games, and I will attend as many of men and women games as possible. The fact that they are singels really does not matter, but did U of Southern Calfornia follow up the game with SDSU with a men's game? No, but thats how D1 works.
      And you are getting under my skin with your" I am not trying to argue here, and then you proceed to argue.  I detest people who make glibb contradictory statements. It has nothing to do with doubleheaders.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJack

What did I miss in reading these posts.  I see nothing in sportsbuffs post that warrants an attack.  Yes, he's been a thorn for a majority of his posts, but this one is right in line with the flow of this thread.
        I have to agree.

Comment

Working...
        X