Might this be SDSU in a few years???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might this be SDSU in a few years???

Don't laugh this could happen rabbitt fans. We have no business being in Divsison 1 and a student saying We are out of our league are some of the lines for you to think about. Notice they are still an independent. It appears that Shannon Sharpe isn't thrilled with the move. Their basketball season reminds me a lot of yours except they could have probably beaten Morningside and lost by less than 38 to Southwest Minnesota State.

Division I Savannah finishes winless

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - Maybe in a few years, they'll be able to look back on this men's basketball season and chuckle just a bit.

Not now.

The pain is too real, the scoreboard all too familiar.

The Savannah State Tigers (0-28) went through an entire season without winning even one game, only the second NCAA Division I team in the last half-century to reach the gold standard for futility.

"Being out in public, walking around on campus, people make jokes about you because you're not winning," senior Sherard Reddick said. "We're all just struggling emotionally. It's hard to describe."

But this much is clear: The Tigers have no business being in Division I, a leap they made a few years ago with hopes of making a name for themselves. Instead, they became a national laughingstock.

National cable network ESPN even did live "cut-ins" during its regular programming to provide updates on Savannah State's quest for infamy Monday night. The Tigers gave their best showing of the season but still lost to Florida A&M 49-44 before a crowd of 1,357.

They joined Prairie View in the hall of infamy. The Texas school went 0-28 in 1991-92 - the only other Division I team in the last 50 years to endure a winless season.

"It's unbelievable," Reddick said.

At least the Tigers didn't go down without a fight. They tied it at 41 with 1:57 remaining when Donald Carson - son of former New York Giants linebacker Harry Carson - hit two free throws.

Carson was 1 of 15, missing all seven of his attempts outside the arc as Savannah State shot 22.6 percent from the field (14 of 62).

Harry Carson traveled from New Jersey to watch his son's final college game, taking part in ceremonies beforehand to honor the team's three seniors.

"You're not always going to be the best," the former football star said. "You've got to learn to deal with adversity. You've got to learn to deal with disappointment."

Savannah State had a chance to lead at halftime for the first time all season. But Michael Ayodele hit a 3-pointer with eight seconds remaining in the period, putting Florida A&M ahead 28-26.

The Tigers won four games last season, but they had to forfeit those because of an ineligible player - the son of Coach Edward Daniels. This time, they completed an imperfect season without having to rely on forfeits.

Savannah State lost by an average margin of nearly 23 points.

"If you looked at our schedule, you'd be hard-pressed to say we had a better team than anyone we faced," Daniels said. "We just had to focus on improving from game to game."

Savannah State has only eight scholarship players - five short of the Division I limit and the most striking example of its dubious decision to move from Division II.

The Tigers had modest success in the lower level - former NFL great Shannon Sharpe is an alumnus - but jumping up has been a major blunder. The school doesn't have enough money to fully fund any of its programs, and no conference stepped forward with an invitation.

So, Savannah State plays on as an independent.

"Basically," said a student who watched the final loss, "they're out of their league."

Re: Might this be SDSU in a few years???

At least they get their scores on the ESPN ticker, and look at all this publicity. ;D

Comment

There is no comparison at all.  Savannah State has an enrollment of less then 1,800 students. There athletic budget  is less then $2 million dollars and they are in a state with at least 4 other D-I schools that I can think of off the top of my head.  :

This is "uncbearsfan" quality smack. You should be ashamed of yourself Mav. We expect more from you. :-[

Go State!  ;D  

Comment

I have heard more than a few USD faithful are not pleased with the constant, prominent press SDSU is recieving from the Argus and other media outlets. It will only get worse for you as our programs continue to improve at the DI level.

Comment

I did see the sdsu score on the espn ticker while watching the KU game. CAn't say I was overly impressed but they did make the bottom of the screen which is more than UNO can say. Maybe their fans with "deep pockets" see that and immediately get the checkbooks out to send a substantial donation to sdsu. I tend to doubt it but you never know.
          While I am rather pessimistic as to sdsu's chances of men's bb success I seriously doubt they will ever duplicate savannah state's feat. Remember all they have to do to avoid that is to play UNC and NDSU. Also, wouldn't surprise me at all if sdsu beat UMKC next year despite umkc's success this year. So while I am not optimistic about the jacks men's bb future I also doubt they will come close to savannah st.
          I just will have to be convinced that sdsu can recruit the kind of talent that isn't state bred and convince them to come to the dakotas in the winter. That will take quite a used car salesman to do that. Much different breed of player at d1 you need to recruit to win than at d2. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake

I just will have to be convinced that sdsu can recruit the kind of talent that isn't state bred and convince them to come to the dakotas in the winter.  
            The Football team did a nice job of it. Brought them in for the NDSU game, one of the coldest days of the year and look who they got and where they came from.

Joseph Blackman, DB, 5-11, 175, Pittsburg, CA (Pittsburg HS)
            Ryan Crawford, QB, 6-2, 205, Oro Valley, AZ (Ironwood Ridge HS)
            Isaiah Jackson, LB, 6-2, 200, Chandler, AZ (Chandler HS)
            Jimmy Rogers, DB, 5-11, 190, Chandler, AZ (Hamilton HS)
            Kris Stone, LB, 6-1, 215, Gilbert, AZ (Highland HS)

Let's see who Scott brings to the program in April.

Go State! ;D

Comment

If athletes from warm destinations can be recruited to cold weather places like Omaha, Lincoln, Iowa City,Madison,Ames,Minneapolis than I think we can find a way to get a recruit to accept a scholarship to come to SDSU and Brookings.

Comment

There's little similarity between SDSU and Savannah State.

1) Savannah State is a very small school, while SDSU is well within the norm for a D-I school.

2) Savannah State's athletic budget is nowhere near what a normal D-I school has, while SDSU has an athletic budget that is only slightly less than the D-I average.

3) Savannah State has no athletic success with any of their sports, while this isn't true for SDSU. 6-5 in football, 7-6 in wrestling, 22-12 in volleyball, 19-6 in women's basketball.

4) Savannah State only has 8 basketball scholarships.

5) Savannah State seems riddled with scandal.

4) Savannah State is winless, SDSU is not.

Comment

I just will have to be convinced that sdsu can recruit the kind of talent that isn't state bred and convince them to come to the dakotas in the winter.  That will take quite a used car salesman to do that.  Much different breed of player at d1 you need to recruit to win than at d2.  We shall see.
                  Somehow, Wyoming recruits talent to come to Laramie. Now I love Laramie, and it's beautiful there. My wife got her M.A. there. But she'll tell you that Brookings is a nicer town. And the universities are very, very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff
                    At least they get their scores on the ESPN ticker, and look at all this publicity. ;D
                    I will give credit where credit's due. That was a pretty funny post. You need to give uncbearsfan some lessons. However, even you have to admit that it's pretty far fetched to think Savanah's future somehow belies what will become of the Jacks.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

I will give credit where credit's due.  That was a pretty funny post.  You need to give uncbearsfan some lessons.  However, even you have to admit that it's pretty far fetched to think Savanah's future somehow belies what will become of the Jacks.
                      I will admit that. I do note the differences between the two programs.

Comment

Okla_Jackrabbit, I don't know anything about the academics of Wyoming versus sdsu but I just don't know how you can compare the beauty of the Rocky Mts that Laramie enjoys with what Brookings has to offer. Not to say Brookings is ugly bc it isn't but to compare it to Laramie is really a stretch.
                        But despite that I have to give Brookings the edge over Greeley any day. I know Greeley is close to the base of the mts. but they lose tons of points for the god awful smells that come out of that con agra processing plant. I was there once on a day that was nothing short of incredible. Even that great car salesman -Barry Switzer-couldn't convince a recruit to come deal with those smells for the next 4 or 5 years. Brookings over Greeley any day but way behind Laramie.

Comment

Campus v. Campus it may be an edge to SDSU. Our campus is pretty sweet. However, the scenery edge has to go to Wyoming. But, having lived in an urban setting for the past 7 years I long for those moments where you can see every star in the sky or the storm clouds coming from miles away.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Maybe their fans with "deep pockets" see that and immediately get the checkbooks out to send a substantial donation to sdsu. I tend to doubt it but you never know.
                            We do.

We are.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Coach got fired

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1994031

Comment

Working...
                              X