Article about andy moeller from omaha world herald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article about andy moeller from omaha world herald

Interesting article in Omaha World Herald on Saturday about MOeller transfering to MSU and how Margenthaler and Nagy have not spoken since he has changed schools. I guess some hard feelings exist. It amazes me when coaches can change jobs at will with no penalties but when a guy like moeller wants to transfer his coach gets irritated about it. I am sure nobody asked moeller for input in changing divisions and it would seem perfectly logical that he should be able to change schools and look out for his best interest without a coach being all bent out of shape about it. Really if we were really going to prepare kids for the real world they should be able to transfer colleges whenever they darn feel like it just like most people can change jobs when they feel like it. That would prepare them for the real world. NOw if they want to transfer schools in most situations they have to sit out a year or semester which isn't at all the way the real world works. When I change jobs I go to work tomorrow and do not have to serve some arbitrary penalty set by some big bureaucracy.
    I don't know how to post that article but it is under omaha.com and sports then mavs central.

Re: Article about andy moeller from omaha world he

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=...;u_sid=1346370

Rabbitt fans,

I thought one thing that Moeller said was very interesting. He said that it was about playing for something at the end of the season. It seems to me that SDSU is more about beating their chest about being D1 and forgot about winning and more importantly playing for something. SDSU's season ends tonite and UNO's is just beggining. You can have D1 and I will stick to worrying about winning.

Mavs #1

Comment

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...;u_sid=1346370

Mildly edited for length. From the Omaha paper.

MANKATO, Minn. - Minnesota State-Mankato is playing for a share of the North Central Conference championship and a spot in the NCAA Division II national tournament.

South Dakota State is 9-18 and playing out the string in its first season in Division I.

That is why Andy Moeller transferred from SDSU to MSU for his senior season, and even though it has caused tension between his current and former schools, he's glad he did it.

"It's all about playing for something at the end of the year," Moeller said. "This is my fifth year as part of the NCC, and it's been a great experience. I didn't want to miss out on it."

Moeller, a 6-foot-1 guard from LeClaire, Iowa, reunited in Mankato with Coach Matt Margenthaler and former SDSU backcourt mate Austin Hansen, now an MSU assistant. Margenthaler is a former SDSU assistant and was the first to offer Moeller a scholarship as a high school player.

Margenthaler said he hasn't spoken with SDSU Coach Scott Nagy since Moeller transferred, and SDSU has struggled mightily in its first year in Division I.

The Jackrabbits, the NCC's best program during the past five years, likely wouldn't have finished better than sixth this year without Moeller - clearly their best player.

"Some people say I probably shouldn't have taken him, but if I didn't, then someone else would have," Margenthaler said. "If he had wanted to go when I first took this job, I wouldn't have done it. But when the university changed divisions, then everything changes."

Moeller said he doesn't know what he would have done if Margenthaler had turned him down last spring.

"It was a tough thing to do, because I have nothing but a lot of respect for Coach (Scott) Nagy and the program he runs over there," Moeller said. "But I had to be honest with him and told him how I felt."

Moeller is one of those feisty, competitive guards that the NCC's best teams have. He seems to be at his best in big games, like in last year's regional tournament, when he single-handedly kept SDSU in the game against top-ranked Metro State (Colo.).

"He's brought an intensity level and a winning attitude that we need on our basketball team," Margenthaler said. "And every time we've needed him in big games, he's shown up. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do (today), because on a stage like this, he shines."

After averaging 17.6 points per game last year at SDSU, Moeller has blended into an offensive attack that includes All-American Jamel Staten and sharpshooter Luke Anderson. Moeller averages just 12.0 points, but is part of the league's best trio of offensive players.

"He's a solid competitor," said UNO guard Calvin Kapels, who will shadow Moeller today. "He's a senior, this is his last (home) game, and he wants to go out a winner."
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Wow if Andy Moeller had stayed at SDSU we would be in the NIT. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Mavs Outlast MSU in 2 Overtimes
          Win Gives UNO Outright NCC Title

MANKATO, MINN. -- Levy Jones' tip-in just before the buzzer gave the Mavericks a 90-88 double-overtime victory over Minnesota State Saturday, securing the second straight regular season North Central Conference title for UNO.

The Mavs will host the NCC's Wells Fargo Finals semifinal and championship games in Omaha March 4-5. UNO, ranked No. 11 in NCAA II, is 23-4 overall and finished the regular season in the NCC at 9-3. No. 14 MSU is 21-6 and 7-5 before hosting a first-round tournament game Tuesday.

Ryan Curtis scored 17 of his UNO-leading 25 points in overtime, hitting all six of his shots and five of six from the free throw line. Jones, who also sent the game into overtime with a pair of free throws late in regulation, finished with 14 points, Abdul Mills had 12, Andre Tarpley 11 and Calvin Kapels 10.

After ending regulation knotted at 65, Curtis scored nine of the Mavericks' 10 points in the first five-minute session. MSU held a 75-73 lead when UNO's Mills missed a shot. MSU guard Andy Moeller rebounded, but fell down and was called for traveling. Curtis tied the game with a two-handed slam off the inbounds pass with six seconds left to tie at 75.

UNO never trailed in the second overtime, building an 88-82 lead as Curtis scored eight points. But MSU tied the game on three-pointers by Luke Anderson in the final minute, the last one coming with seven seconds remaining.

Jones tipped in a miss by Kapels with under a second left to end the game and give UNO its second win over Minnesota State in a week.

UNO led by as many as 13 points the first half before MSU cut the margin to 35-30 at halftime on Anderson's three-pointer with six seconds remaining.

The Mavericks led most of the way the second half before MSU took its first lead since early in the game on Jamel Staten's three-pointer with 4:25 to play, 58-56.

UNO came back to take a 61-60 lead with 2:10 to go on Tarpley's two free shots. Staten and Tarpley then traded layups before Moeller's three-pointer gave MSU a 65-63 lead with 1:26 to play. Jones tied the game at 65 when he hit two free throws with 47 seconds remaining.

Moeller led MSU with 24 points and nine rebounds, while connecting on four of nine from behind the arc. Anderson added 21 points, also hitting four three-point shots. As a team, MSU hit 12 of 28 three-point shots.

The Mavericks now have four NCC titles. The previous championships were in 1979 and 1984. Last year, UNO won both the regular season and the post-season tournament titles.

Comment

I had heard from a friend close to some players that Andy said he would have stayed this year if Matt Jones was able to play but minus that there is nothing else here. Personally I won't blame him. It is about playing for something at the end of the year and this year there was nothing for him to play for.

To claim this move is about beating our chests and saying we are DI is at best diluted. This season that is all we have. Next year, with 4 of 5 conference football games at home winning the conference is not out of the question. The men and women's basketball team will be NIT eligible and it only gets better from there.

So Mav, Jake and all you USD guys out there, yeah, this year all we might have is beating our chests but it can only get better for us. What do you have? A new conference? Trips to Washington in all sports? The same old same old can be comfortable but at some point its going to get boring. Looks like for you that happens sooner than later.

Comment

Jack Twice,

Here is what we have.

4 conference championships in Football, Mens basketball, soccer, swimming and a great chance at back to back national titles in Wrestling. My question is what do you have!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mavs #1

Comment

I personally think there is a thing called loyalty. There is more to life than winning championships. It is about challenging yourself to be better and win with your teammates. Sacraficing a personal goal to help lay a foundation for the future of a team or program is what builds true character. I would like to thank those that stuck around and faced the challenge. Great job to all the SDSU athletes that put their team above themselves.

Comment

There is more to life than winning championships. It is about challenging yourself to be better and win with your teammates.

Thats sounds like some BS that you would tell a YMCA rec league team. Trust me it is about winning championships, believing anything else is just kidding yourself.

Comment

Winning is everything, but all you are talking about are medals and trophies. Does a person really need a symbol to proclaim themselves a winner? Do people work their tails off for something they can show off to their friends? True competitors don't play for awards they play to win.

Comment

Originally posted by stusdsu
                      Winning is everything, but all you are talking about are medals and trophies.  Does a person really need a symbol to proclaim themselves a winner? Do people work their tails off for something they can show off to their friends? True competitors don't play for awards they play to win.
                      AMEN I could not have said it better.  I dont expect to see either of the Mavericks on our schedule any time soon. Not even the Mankato kind. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Winning is everything, but all you are talking about are medals and trophies. Does a person really need a symbol to proclaim themselves a winner? Do people work their tails off for something they can show off to their friends? True competitors don't play for awards they play to win.

These comments sounds like they are coming from a school that isn't winning very much. When you are winning championships people don't write comments like the one above.

Mavs #1

Comment

stusdsu, There has to be loyalty on both sides. The players had no input on whether they wanted to go d1 and who can blame people for bailing out when it was something they didn't sign up for in the first place.
                          But the thing I find most disturbing is that coach nagy sacrificed this year and made those people who did show loyalty get their brains beat out by holding out the redshirts that people on this site continually say are really good. If he held players out who could have helped him this year - that is a shame to the current players. MOre likely we are just hearing more unrealistic and unbridled optimism about these redshirts and in all probability they weren't ready to contribute. I mean why not play them now if they are ready - they still have 3 more years after this. It seems like coach nagy is rather dejected about this season as are the fans and if you could have been better and chose not to be it is an odd choice. Most likely the redshirts are NOT ready for prime time.

Comment

Guys, how many times are we going to go down this road?  Some (players and schools) have chosen to continue to compete at the D-II level.  I and many others have wished them well.  Others, have chosen to take it to the next level.  To compete at a higher level.  Can’t you just wish us well?  After all we don’t even compete at the same level anymore.  Why does taking shoots at SDSU make you feel better?  Have some self-respect.  

Go State!  ;D

P.S. Congrats on your NCC title.

Comment

"Congrats on your NCC title"

Since your D2... nobody will know, or care about it. I know I don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X