UVSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVSU

61-59 with minute and half left. Vogel hit a big 3 to put SDSU back ahead, just her 2nd FG of the night but a big one.

Comment

Game goes down to the buzzer and the Jacks win by 2 after UVSU misses a last second shot and rebound.  SDSU wins the series 2-0 by a total of 3 points.

Game attendance was 2652.

Comment

Whew
        An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
        US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

UVSU definitely plays the Jacks tough. But a win's a win, and this makes 20 of them for the season. Way to go Jacks.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Just as a "For the record" thing.  It is Utah Valley State College = UVSC not UVSU.

Go State!  

Comment

It is nice to see the win when Vogel only scores 7 points. As a team we shot a low percentage. We did just enopugh to win. I hope Megan starts to feel better by the NDSU game.

Comment

I just came back from the game. Considering that is a three-day weekend with a lot of students gone, the crowd was excellent with a crowd of 2652, third-largest of the season. Grimsrud and Boever kept us in this game as our other four top players struggled. Verdegan and Vogel hit the key three-pointers to take the lead and our defense picked up Vogel when she missed that free throw in the last minute. Pulling out this close of a game with Vogel off will only help our program in the long-run......

(Note: This is also what I posted on the Argus blog.)

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  After how close that game was out in Utah, I don't think that the Wolverines are going to back down until the Jackrabbits make them--and maybe not even then.

I'll frankly be a bit surprised if it's not a pretty close game.
                  I'm not right often, but I guess I called this one.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Also attended the game. UVSC seems to have our number as they played us tough after getting trounced by nearly 40 points at NDSU. UVSC plays very good defense IMO. Our shooting was horrible and we had some very bad turnovers on passing. These passing turnovers haven't happen in other games. They  were also three teaming Vogel inside so she got very few shots. Also our perimeter shots were not going in as they have been in past games.

Aaron said in the post game that UVSC was well coached, I would tend to agree. They sure wanted our hide tonight and came close to getting it. This team has beaten New Mexico State, Weber and Montana State and Idaho State. They have as Aaron noted had more losses since the first of the year.

Comment

02/17/2007
                      Jackrabbits hang on for ninth win in a row
                      http://gojacks.com/

For the second time this season, South Dakota State and Utah Valley State went down to the wire in women’s basketball.
                      And for the second time, the Jackrabbits came out victorious, overcoming a cold-shooting night to pull out a 61-59 win in front of 2,652 fans Saturday night at Frost Arena.
                      SDSU improved to 20-5 overall, recording its ninth win in a row and 11th 20-win season in the program's history. UVSC dropped to 12-13 on the season. The Jackrabbits won in the closing seconds in their earlier meeting with the Wolverines, 79-78, on Jan. 25 in Orem, Utah.
                      Unlike other games in its recent run of victories against Division I independents, the Jackrabbits did not get off to a fast start. The two squads traded baskets throughout the first 11 minutes of the game before Utah Valley State went on a 12-2 run to open an eight-point lead, 27-19, with 4 minutes, 54 seconds remaining in the first half.
                      SDSU scored the final seven minutes of the half, including a three-pointer by Ashlea Muckenhirn, as the Jackrabbits trailed by just one at the half, 27-26, despite shooting just 29 percent (10-of-35) from the field.
                      The game continued to be a one-possession contest through the first 10 minutes of the second half before SDSU opened a nine-point cushion with 7:54 to play on back-to-back baskets by starting center Courtney Grimsrud.
                      Utah Valley State, however, did not fold as the Wolverines put together a 13-2 run to go ahead, 55-53, on a three-pointer by Julie McMurray with 5:13 to play.
                      Trailing 59-58, Megan Vogel, who was held in check most of the night, hit her lone three-pointer of the game, a triple from the right wing with 2:33 remaining, to give SDSU a 61-59 advantage.
                      Neither team would score the rest of the way. The Wolverines squandered opportunities down the stretch as they committed three of their 23 turnovers in the closing minutes.
                      After Vogel missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 22 seconds remaining, Utah Valley had one last chance to tie or take the lead. Sandy Marvin’s jumper from the left wing rimmed off and time expired before Robyn Fairbanks could get a shot off after grabbing the offensive rebound.
                      The Jackrabbits won despite shooting below 40 percent for the first time during their winning streak. SDSU finished the night 24-of-65, 36.9 percent, including 8-of-32 from three-point range. SDSU attempted nine free throws and made five for 55.6 percent.
                      Grimsrud, a junior center from Sisseton, led SDSU with 13 points on 6-of-9 shooting from the field, and grabbed a team-high six rebounds. Maria Boever came off the bench to score 11 points, reaching double figures for the fifth consecutive game.
                      Although she hit the game-winning basket, Vogel failed to reach double figures for the first time in eight games, ending the night with seven points onf 2-of-12 shooting from the field, including 1-of-7 on three-pointers.
                      Fairbanks led Utah Valley State with 21 points, while McMurray came off the bench to score 17. Marvin contributed 14 points and five assists.
                      The Wolverines shot an even 50 percent from the field, 24-for-48, and were 3-of-11 on three-pointers. At the line, UVSC made 8-of-10 attempts.
                      Hollie Beaman led UVSC with a game-high eight rebounds as the Wolverines held a 38-32 edge on the glass.
                      The Jackrabbits close out their home schedule Feb. 23 by hosting North Dakota State.

SDSU Notes: The Jackrabbits lead the series against UVSC 2-0 ... SDSU reached the 20-win plateau for the fifth time in Aaron Johnston’s seven seasons ... SDSU has won the last three games it has trailed at the half and is 3-5 this season when behind at intermission ... with a 5-for-6 shooting effort Saturday, Boever has made 19 of her last 23 shots from the field, 82.6 percent ... SDSU’s nine-game winning streak is the longest streak since moving to Division I at the start of the 2004-05 season ... the win also was SDSU’s 15th consecutive over a Division I independent ... SDSU’s 32 three-point attempts were the most this season ... all 10 Jackrabbit players to see action scored ... with a crowd of 2,652 in attendance, SDSU now is averaging 2,116 fans per game ... the Jackrabbits improved to 11-1 at Frost Arena this season

Comment

UTAH VALLEY STATE 59 (12-13)
                        Ashley Grimm 0-2 0-0 0, Rebekah Peterson 2-5 0-0 4, Robyn Fairbanks 10-14 1-1 21, Sandy Marvin 4-10 5-5 14, Hollie Beaman 0-3 1-2 1, Julie McMurray 7-11 1-1 17, Lauren Smith 0-0 0-1 0, Asumi Nakayama 1-2 0-0 2, Mallory Schott 0-1 0-0 0. Totals 24-48 8-10 59.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 61 (20-5)
                        Megan Vogel 2-12 2-3 7, Jennifer Warkenthien 3-10 0-0 7, Courtney Grimsrud 6-9 1-2 13, Andrea Verdegan 3-11 0-0 8, Ashlea Muckenhirn 2-7 0-0 6, Alison Anderson 0-2 2-2 2, Ketty Cornemann 1-5 0-0 2, Morgan Meier 1-1 0-0 3, Maria Boever 5-6 0-2 11, Laura Nielsen 1-2 0-0 2. Totals 24-65 5-9 61.

Halftime: Utah Valley State 27, South Dakota State 26.
                        3-point goals--Utah Valley State 3-11 (McMurray 2-4, Marvin 1-1, Peterson 0-1, Fairbanks 0-1, Nakayama 0-1, Beaman 0-3), South Dakota State 8-32 (Muckenhirn 2-5, Verdegan 2-8, Meier 1-1, Boever 1-1, Warkenthien 1-6, Vogel 1-7, Nielsen 0-1, Anderson 0-1, Cornemann 0-2).
                        Fouled out--none.
                        Rebounds--Utah Valley State 38 (Beaman 8), South Dakota State 32 (Grimsrud 6).
                        Assists--Utah Valley State 13 (Marvin 5), South Dakota State 16 (Vogel, Warkenthien 4).
                        Blocked Shots--Utah Valley State 3 (Fairbanks 2), South Dakota State 2 (Muckenhirn, Cornemann).
                        Steals--Utah Valley State 5 (Nakayama 2), South Dakota State 11 (Grimsrud 3).
                        Turnovers-- Utah Valley State 23, South Dakota State 12.
                        Total Fouls--Utah Valley State 16, South Dakota State 15.
                        Technical Fouls--none.
                        A -2,652.

Comment

I know we only won by 2 and I give some of the credit UVSC and their defense, but I still think most nights we would beat this team by 15-20 points, even though our 2 meeting this season do not show that. Courtney, Morgan, Maria, and Laura shot a combined 13-18 from the field. The rest of the Jacks, including 4 starters only made 11-47 shots. That is only 23% for those keeping score. We had a lot of good looks, but it was just 1 of those nights. Vogel 2-12, Warkenthein 3-10, Verdegan 3-11, Muckenhirn 2-7, & Corneman 1-5. I bet we aren't that cold again for a long time. Let's regroup and come back Friday and kick the Bison all over Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                            ICourtney, Morgan, Maria, and Laura shot a combined 13-18 from the field. The rest of the Jacks, including 4 starters only made 11-47 shots. That is only 23% for those keeping score. We had a lot of good looks, but it was just 1 of those nights. Vogel 2-12, Warkenthein 3-10, Verdegan 3-11, Muckenhirn 2-7, & Corneman 1-5. I bet we aren't that cold again for a long time.
                            That is why a deep bench is just nice to have. When the starters aren't on then the bench comes through.

Comment

Well, the game was about as close as I thought it was going to be. 3 of their players have over half their points. Vogel was under the weather last night. The crowd was a nice sized one. For a 13 loss team Utah Valley is really good and matches up well with us. Five of their losses were by less than 4 points. There were points in the game in which we were held scoreless for a good stretch of time. Their coach said it nicely
                              "Overall it was one of our best team efforts, defensively it was very good," said head coach Cathy Nixon. "We we saw the tip of the iceberg with what our girls can do. For the kids to perform in this environment shows a level of confidence, I'm very proud of the way they played with this loud crowd."
                              http://wolverinegreen.cstv.com/sport...021707aab.html

Comment

I don't think we could shoot worse or play with less intensity at the start of a game. Vogel didn't look like one of the best ever last night. Doesn't mean she isn't just means she didn't have her game last night. I sat with a friend who is a former college FB and BB player. He hadn't seen SDSU since our DII teams and I can tell you he was not impressed with the performance last night. A win is a win but we have to play a lot better than that. I think AJ and the girls agree.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X