Push yourself away from the table!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push yourself away from the table!!!

Way to go South Dakota! This article graded each state on obesity in both adults and children. South Kentucky received a grade of F in both catagories. Granted Nebraska wasn't that great with a C and D but we did not receive an F!! How are you going to be successful in D1 with a bunch of overweight kids in your program. In closing let me add two words to your vocabulary up there in South Dakota... I'm full!!  I will let you go because it is lunchtime and I know all of you have to take off to the local "all you can eat buffett."

89 Rabbitt,

This post is relevant to South Dakota and SDSU athletics because with overweight kids you can't have much success in athletics.

Obesity 'Report Card' for States Released

Some States Making Progress, but Only California Earns an 'A'

By Miranda Hitti
    WebMD Medical News  Reviewed By Brunilda  Nazario, MD
    on Tuesday, May 03, 2005  

More From WebMD

May 3, 2005 -- America's 2005 obesity "report card" shows some progress among states but plenty of room for improvement.

Only one "A" was awarded. California took that honor for its attempt to control childhood obesity. However, California's overall grade for its efforts to address the obesity epidemic (not just among school children) was a "B."

About a quarter of states earned a failing grade for efforts to control childhood obesity, the report card states. "Given the importance of establishing healthy habits early in life, the results are very disappointing," write the researchers.

Overall Grades

Here are the grades for state overall efforts to control obesity (states listed in alphabetical order):

A: No states.
    B: Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Washington
    C: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia
    D: Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Florida, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin
    F: Idaho, Nevada, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming
    Grades for Childhood Obesity

The report card also gave grades for state efforts regarding childhood obesity:

A: California
    B: Arkansas, Connecticut, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, West Virginia
    C: Arizona, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia
    D: Alabama, Florida, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Vermont
    F: Alaska, Idaho, Nevada, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming
    Making the Grade - or Not

The report card comes from the University of Baltimore's Obesity Initiative. Grades were based on legislation introduced and/or passed by the states on eight topics: nutrition standards; vending machine usage; body mass index (BMI) measured in school; recess and physical education; obesity programs and education; obesity research; obesity treatment in health insurance; and obesity commissions. The researchers looked at each state's most recent legislative session.

To receive an "A," states had to successfully pass a law related to obesity. Points were awarded if legislation was introduced but not passed. "Introducing legislation at least indicates some awareness and the presence of a will directed to controlling obesity," notes the report card.

Mavs #1

Re: Push yourself away from the table!!!

We can start by not feeding the trolls.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

That article graded states on their EFFORTS to control childhood obesity, things like legislation and regulation, not on the RATE of childhood obesity. And Nebraska and South Dakota both got F's last year while Nebraska improved to a D this year. Way to go, Nebraska! In this case, pushing away from the table wouldn't have improved South Dakota's score, since the study measured what the state did policy-wise, not how many people are obese.

For the record, a recent study of the RATE of adult obesity (not EFFORTS  to control adult obesity) concluded that 22.9 percent of South Dakota adults are obese. Compare that to Nebraska, where 23.9 percent of adults are obese. So I'd say neither state is doing very well.

The tragedy of all this, of course, is that so many children are now suffering from Type 2 diabetes because of their poor diets and obesity.

Comment

Mavs 1

Don't forget that Nebraska shipped it's fattest resident to SD for help in getting him to a level where they wouldn't have to tear down his house for him to get out the door. By the way, my sister was his dietician in Sioux Falls and helped him get back "down" to his current fighting weight. You better watch all that glass with those rocks you're throwing.

Another thing, now that he's back in health conscious NE, he's back to his old great habits of smoking, eating sweets and not exercising.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Milwaukee Jack,

Great point. My question to you is why did he have to go to South Dakota for treatment. Maybe is it that South Dakota is better able to treat patients like this because of all the 2 ton Alice's that live up there. Keep in mind that dude was only ten minutes for the South Dakota border. Maybe he is a South Dakota native that ate his way down here. Just a thought??

Mavs #1

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
            My question to you is why did he have to go to South Dakota for treatment.
            The doctors in Omaha and Lincoln told him they couldn't help him.  Unless he was suffering from long-term drug abuse (preferably crack or meth) the doctors in NE were generally stumped.  Docs tend to get pigeon-holed into a certain area of treatment as a direct result of typical mallady they are accustomed to treating.  True story.  Jeremy Hoeck told me.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Maverick, Another outstanding post!! This post hits close to home bc as you know my spouse is a nurse. She graduated from Presentation in aberdeen, sd and her first job was at Mckennan in Sioux Falls. She hurt her back badly a couple of times having to help lift some of the enormous people that live around there. So I can thank south dakota for the regular chiropractic bills I receive that my ins. company only partially covers.

Comment

Well as reported earlier by JBNJBQ, whale hunting is illegal in Nebraska. I guess that is why Big Jake had to move into South Dakota to find his bride. Thanks for pouching our whale across state lines Big Jake.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
                  Well as reported earlier by JBNJBQ, whale hunting is illegal in Nebraska.  I guess that is why Big Jake had to move into South Dakota to find his bride.  Thanks for pouching our whale across state lines Big Jake.  

Congratulations, NorCalJack! Your post was # 18,000!

Comment

Working...
                  X