Tim Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Miles

It seems Tim Miles is a serious candidate for the now vacant North Carolina Wilmington.

During TV6 sports last night it was reported that Miles is one of three finalists along with the assistants from Texas and Kansas. There is a connection between the UNC-Wilmington AD and Miles as they both graduated from the U of Mary. It was also reported that Gene Taylor is developing a short list of replacement candidates.

Would Nagy be considering these kind of jobs if they were offered. He has had more sustained success than Miles. I personally don't think Miles has done anything to merit this kind of opportunity, but he is one of the new DI darlings of the month.

Re: Tim Miles

It's not always who you are, but who you know. If Miles has a connection with the AD then that's why he's a finalist (other than his qualifications).

Nagy probably knows plenty of people, but unless he's putting his name out there they're not going to consider him.

Comment

Originally posted by #81
      It's not always who you are, but who you know. If Miles has a connection with the AD then that's why he's a finalist (other than his qualifications).

Nagy probably knows plenty of people, but unless he's putting his name out there they're not going to consider him.

16-12 with a big name win, yeah it's old news but will be attached to Miles for the next year, will sell a lot better than 9-18. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying it is all about perception.

Comment

Going .500 against D-I schools (even with a big win) usually doesn't make you a "hot prospect".  I am going to agree with #81 and say this is a case of "who you know".  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I think Scott knows plenty of people, but I think he is motivated by more than money. I'm not saying he wouldn't take a more prestigious job if offered, but believe he is really committed to getting us through this difficult transition and getting back to the winning ways!

Comment

The interest in Miles is based on who he knows without question. I am simply saying he can be "sold" as a candidate to the boosters and the program more easily based on this past year than Coach Nagy. We all know it is about "what have you done for me lately!" That was the only point I was trying to make.

Comment

Tim Miles is a good guy. That said, he has a history of moving to "better" jobs. Greg McDermott (Wayne State, NDSU, UNI, now to Iowa State) is of the same mold.

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy
                The interest in Miles is based on who he knows without question.  I am simply saying he can be "sold" as a candidate to the boosters and the program more easily based on this past year than Coach Nagy.  We all know it is about "what have you done for me lately!"  That was the only point I was trying to make.
                I would agree, and its about what you have done lately.
                Having networks are very important in the coaching circles and this is not a new thing at all.

I recall when Coach Nagy did apply and was a finalist at Bradley a few years back. I was very curious about how this selection would go So I watched daily the message board connected to Peoria Newspaper. The relief felt at the time was that, though Nagy was a finalist, none of the die hard Bradley fans were even remotely curious about this guy with the great winning record from SDSU. Some of these fans probably still have no idea that SDSU has since moved up to D1. So getting your hat to land in the final consideration barrel is a task, so all your prior connections do mean something.

As far as Miles, I am impressed with his career so far, but the UNC-W job could be a Peter Principal for Tim too. He has done a good job at NDSU, and losing at Frost does not make him a horrible coach. I would look for him to interview at UNC-W but end up staying at NDSU.

Comment

Neither does winning at Wisconsin make him a great coach!

Comment

If you upset a B10 team, you have to have done something right. Or was it luck again?? Only bad luck happens to Scott Nagy. So God cant possibly be on our side.

Comment

I won't say it's luck as I have said before I have a lot of respect for what the Bison did against the Badgers. I don't believe that win should neccesarily make you the immediate most eligible coach for the next DI opening. I think he is being considered purely because of the relationship with the AD. You sure seem to have soured on coach Nagy. I think the basketball planets will realign and the Jacks will get this turned around. Unfortunately I don't think we have hit rock bottom, but we are close and will work our way back up.

Comment

Here is our friend SDSUFAN pandering to the Bison Fans on a Tim Miles thread.

Re: Miles named in UNC-Wilmington opening
                        « Reply #32 on: Today at 1:31pm » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        I think Miles is a very good coach. I dont want to say he is the best. My fellow Jack fans seem to think he is lucky and because he did not win in Brookings this year, he is somehow horrible coach. I dont see it that way at all. No question the Jacks got in the minds of the young Bison, but that does not make him a horrible coach.

I know a very visible person at SDSU said that when he he got to know Tim several years back when Tim was the assistant BB coach and development officer who was also responsible for fund raising besides coaching at Northern State University. This person concluded then in getting to know Tim that he was not long for NSU. This persons gut feelings were right, as Miles moved on to SWMSU, NDSU and now maybe UNC-Wilmington.

I am impressed with Coach Miles, and would hope NDSU can hang on to him for a while, but Tim is strikes me as being more dynamic and a team builder. Good luck to Coach Miles and hopefully he makes the right decision for himself and his family.

I think NDSU will not have a problem finding a replacement if Miles moves on to UNC-W.

As far as AD connections, whats wrong with that? The people who climb have a network.

Nagy applied for the Bradley job a few years back and I watched daily the fan message board for the Peoria News paper to see if there was any following in Peoria. The good or bad part was that of all the candidates mentioned, the die hard Bradley fans never mentioned Scott Nagy nor were they remotely curious about who he was as a coach. Nor did they care about his good record at a then D2 SDSU.
                        « Last Edit: Today at 2:05pm by SDSUFAN

Comment

Pandering??????? give me a break. I said basically the same thing on this board. I dont have to pander to anyone. I got my opinions and I stand by them. I have no reason to be jealous of NDSU and Coach Miles because he got an offer.  Whats the problem with getting breaks and having connections? Its part of moving up in coaching and elsewhere. You mean you pulled yourself up by the boot straps? No help from no one else? You did not kiss any behinds? Okay Sioux Falls insider its your turn.

Comment

It seems like this is being framed as a Miles vs. Nagy issue. I'm not sure I follow that logic.

Personally I'd like to see Scott Nagy coach for 50 years at SDSU, becoming a coaching institution in that time, and retiring near the top of the all-time coaching wins list.

That would be supremely cool.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                              Pandering??????? give me a break. I said basically the same thing on this board. I dont have to pander to anyone. I got my opinions and I stand by them. I have no reason to be jealous of NDSU and Coach Miles because he got an offer.  Whats the problem with getting breaks and having connections? Its part of moving up in coaching and elsewhere. You mean you pulled yourself up by the boot straps? No help from no one else? You did not kiss any behinds? Okay Sioux Falls insider its your turn.
                              You seem to be the only one throwing the luck word around. I'm not jealous of Miles and I doubt Nagy is either. If this is an opportunity that Miles deems worthy of leaving a region that he grew up in so be it. If his goal is to keep moving up the food chain at all costs than he ought to take this window of opportunity as there are no guarantees his program will get better or worse. I defended the magnitude of the Bison win over the Badgers. I don't think that is what's potentially getting him this job, but rather his relationship with the AD. I do think the Jacks win over the Bison in Brookings was more significant than the blowout loss in Fargo based on who was on the floor at the end of the game. I know you have some real issues with Nagy and Larson over some of the players they have recruited and yes there should be some criticism, but it's not easy to understand how a player will perform on or off the court once they get to campus. If anyone figures that out please let the coaching staff know your formula.

Comment

Working...
                              X