Clear All

• UNO fans have Rabbit envy

From the UNO school paper:

http://www.unogateway.com/vnews/disp.../4500a16d595bc

Medicine for the Maverick spirit in turmoil
    Left Field

Jason Glenn
    September 08, 2006

Not too long after I became sports editor here at the Gateway, all hell broke loose in the UNO athletic department. Coincidence? Maybe. All the same, the intensive media coverage and public scrutiny of the layoffs, budget cuts, conference changes, feasibility studies, booster demands, planning committees and Cadillac leases have given me a persistent and recurring bout of stomach distress.

My girlfriend thinks I should be thankful that all of this important real news-type stuff has happened on my watch because it gives me a chance to flex my journalistic pecs, but around mid-July I started getting vertigo anytime I saw the letters “UNO” in a World-Herald headline.  .  .  .

D-II or not D-II, that is the question  .  .  .  

What it means to UNO is that they probably have to find a new conference or make the jump to D-I themselves. I think they should go for the gusto. Even if it means getting hammered a little to start out with, there’s no better publicity than having your name in the national box scores every week.  .  .  .

Score-bored

After looking at the pictures of South Dakota State’s scoreboard the Beef Club has on their Web site as an example of what they want for UNO, I walked down to Caniglia Field and took another gander at the existing big board. Compared to the shiny, instant-replaying colossus at SDSU, our scoreboard looks like something you’d see at a little league game ... in 1950.  .  .  .  

It is hard to be a Mavrick fan, I guess that is why there are so few of them.   ;D ;D

Go State!  

Re: UNO fans have Rabbit envy

Hey, this writer is pretty good.  I wonder if he knows that the Argus Leader needs someone to cover SDSU . . .

Comment

What brings a smile to my face is how many of you are doing research on UNO. Some of you guys are now daily readers of the Omaha World Hearld. You guys are browsing our messageboard. You are going through our media guides. Hell, your global moderator is reading our school newspaper. Say want you want, but I venture to guess that you know more about UNO then you do about your biggest rival (whoever that is). Now that my friends is SCOREBOARD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs Rule
        What brings a smile to my face is how many of you are doing research on UNO. Some of you guys are now daily readers of the Omaha World Hearld. You guys are browsing our messageboard. You are going through our media guides. Hell, your global moderator is reading our school newspaper. Say want you want, but I venture to guess that you know more about UNO then you do about your biggest rival (whoever that is). Now that my friends is SCOREBOARD!!!
        Pot, meet kettle.

Comment

Actually I googled South Dakota State University and it pulled up that gem of a story for me, and the only time I checked out your message board was to confirm what I thougth .  .  . that you post way more on our board then you do on the UNO board. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Go State!  

Comment

Are you saying that all of Buck and Belck's wasteful spending is worth it because of the near-daily media attention the UNO atheltic department now receives as the Belck/Buck scandal continues to unfold? BTW, there is still some curiousity among Jackrabbit fans what our little brothers in the ncc (d2, btw) have been up to since they chose to be left behind when we went D-1.

Comment

This was a UNO story containing a reference about aspirations towards achieving what we have at SDSU. I can assure you there will be no stories out of SDSU envious of what is present at UNO.

Its not that I had respect for you before, MR, but I did enjoy your petty envy figuring you really didn't care. Now if must begin to think that you are a lost soul. When will you get it. We have left UNO behind and thats all there is to it. Try to enjoy your success at DII while we struggle on at the DI level.

The envy issue just never gets old. Search for my post on DI envy and read it again. Its you man, its you.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

89 has some made some good points over the years and a few of them have even been accurate. But he reaches a new journalistic low getting his references from the Gateway.
                We have problems off the field - we win on the field where it counts. Maybe some day you will, too.
                I have to go now to get ready for my trip to maryville, mo to defeat the no2 team in d2 tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVPOWER
                  But he reaches a new journalistic low getting his references from the Gateway.
                  Mavpower, do you have absolutely NO faith in the journalism and English programs at UNO???

We have problems off the field - we win on the field where it counts.
                  Yikes, I guess it doesn't matter if you never graduate any student-athletes or if the inmates are running the insane assylum; winning must be the only thing that matters. UNO doesn't sound like my vision of college athletics.

Comment

Working...
                  X