I should call my friend tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should call my friend tonight.

The one who gave me a hard time about the Jacks joining the Great West Football Conference.

He said things like "Who are they playing?" "Where are they from?" "That's stupid!"

Now, we will join a conference with an automatic bid, and his school will be begging to be let into the Great West.
    (and the two teams who battled it out for last year's title have bolted!)

To every coyote fan who dared to make fun of the Jacks decision, their Conference, and their schedule...

Pull up to the table, crow is being served. ;D

Re: I should call my friend tonight.

Originally posted by da coach
    The one who gave me a hard time about the Jacks joining the Great West Football Conference.

He said things like "Who are they playing?"  "Where are they from?"  "That's stupid!"

Now, we will join a conference with an automatic bid, and his school will be begging to be let into the Great West.

To every coyote fan who dared to make fun of the Jacks decision, their Conference, and their schedule...

Pull up to the table, crow is being served.  ;D
    I seem to remember certain media personalities in Sioux Falls making fun of the conference Fred and Gene "made up" for DI football. I anxiously await their opinions about the most recent developments (actually I don't). Simple minds think simple thoughts. When you can't see the big picture its easy to say/write things that other naive people will gobble up. Now, what do you do when you are wrong again? My guess is nothing, why bother learning from your mistakes.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

He said things like "Who are they playing?"  "Where are they from?"  "That's stupid!"

Pull up to the table, crow is being served.
       ;D

Hey Yote53...as long as your cutting and pasting SDSUFan.com quotes onto the CoyoteBoard....here is a great one for you from Da Coach!!  In a nutshell, this is almost everything that needs to be said from Jacks fans to Yote Fans for the abuse taken over the past 4 years of OUR transition.
      Have fun with yours.
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Pull up to the table, crow is being served.  ;D
        Crow is best served with a beer [smiley=beer.gif]
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

You know, every conference was "made up". People create them, they don't grow conferences in a field somewhere.

Comment

You know, every conference was "made up". People create them, they don't grow conferences in a field somewhere.
            What? I suppose now your gonna say that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren't real either. > >

;D ;D

Comment

....and pro wrestling is actually scripted......

Comment

The Great West is not a great option for the Coyotes, but it is the only option. I certainly don't think it's anything to get very excited about. If we get in we will be playing teams from California, that certainly doesn't excite me very much. I have never been one to criticize State for joining that conference, because what else were you to do--it does beat the heck out of being a I-AA independent. However, I'm sure I did say things to the effect of "I can't imagine it would be more exciting to play these teams from California that you've never heard of and have no history with than to play in the NCC." Now I'm saying the same thing about USD. I much rather see USD be playing teams in the NCC than play in the Great West conference. But since we are DI now, and the NCC is no longer, I guess we are forced to join a conference like this, if they will have us that is. I'm sure as I'm watching us play these damn teams I know nothing about, I will be longing for the days of NCC past. I'm talking the days before SDSU and NDSU left. Those were great days. That's why I didn't want to see the SU's leave, not because I didn't think you could make it in DI, but because I didn't want to destroy what we had. I'm sure I'll never get the same satisfaction out of USD sports that I did at one time. If our men's bball team wins a game in the big dance one year, I guess I'll have to get on this board and eat some crow.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                  However, I'm sure I did say things to the effect of "I can't imagine it would be more exciting to play these teams from California that you've never heard of and have no history with than to play in the NCC." Now I'm saying the same thing about USD. I much rather see USD be playing teams in the NCC than play in the Great West conference.
                  I think you'll find it's not so bad, juice. The talent and depth, and thus, level of football is that much better. You may not know much about the teams, but you'll like watching them.
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Thank you, juice, for explaining why the NCC should have jumped to D-I as a conference, like Pres. Miller had preferred. When most of the conference chose to settle for D-2 mediocrity (I'm calling out UND, UNO and the MN schools here-not USD), SDSU and NDSU took the next-best option, which was to jump up to D-I as a tandem, a plan that has arguably worked beyond the expectations of most Jackrabbit and Bison fans.

Most fans did not want to leave the NCC; they understood, however, that D-2 was being infiltrated by a lot of new (and small) schools, most of whom did not share the high level of commitment that the NCC schools traditionally had to D-2 athletics. We experienced one scaleback in scholarships and did not want to deal with the constant threat of more scholarship reductions. UND finally saw that trend last year and Augie felt that it was not financially sound enough to join D-I on its terms. USD made the choice to jump up while UNO floundered and the MN schools made a half-hearted decision to apply to the NSIC.

Finally, juice, you'll get used to playing these teams. UC-Davis, Cal Poly, and SUU are all high-quality teams. We got about 15,000 fans to watch us play UC-Davis this year. SDSU has never gotten that many fans out to see ANYONE else play. Besides, watching some great teams go head-to-head sure beats trouncing MN-Crookston 245-0 for the 24th straight year......

I know that this has been hashed out before, but we keeping getting new members and visitors here on the board! Perhaps the USD fan board will become this popular in a few years.......

Comment

Looking down the road a few years (at least 6 years), it is possible UND and USD could join the Gateway. There has been talks of Indiana State downgrading to no scholarships, and Youngstown State and Missouri State moving up to BCS. I think all those options are a few years out.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                        Looking down the road a few years (at least 6 years), it is possible UND and USD could join the Gateway. There has been talks of Indiana State downgrading to no scholarships, and Youngstown State and Missouri State moving up to BCS. I think all those options are a few years out.
                        It sounds like (check out http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/) that our admission to the Gateway was in doubt at times. I'm not sure who was the opposed and who switched (if that was really the case), but more change could occur to the Gateway. Nevertheless, UND and USD may not be on the top of the list for Gateway admission.......IMHO, UC-Davis, Cal Poly, and Southern Utah should be considered before UND and USD, especially if the remaining schools are not opposed to the addition of one plane trip per season..........that's not a likely scenario, but one that I would prefer to having the UxDs in the Gateway.......

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                          The Great West is not a great option for the Coyotes, but it is the only option.  I certainly don't think it's anything to get very excited about.  If we get in we will be playing teams from California, that certainly doesn't excite me very much.  I have never been one to criticize State for joining that conference, because what else were you to do--it does beat the heck out of being a I-AA independent.  However, I'm sure I did say things to the effect of "I can't imagine it would be more exciting to play these teams from California that you've never heard of and have no history with than to play in the NCC."  Now I'm saying the same thing about USD.  I much rather see USD be playing teams in the NCC than play in the Great West conference.  But since we are DI now, and the NCC is no longer, I guess we are forced to join a conference like this, if they will have us that is.  I'm sure as I'm watching us play these damn teams I know nothing about, I will be longing for the days of NCC past.  I'm talking the days before SDSU and NDSU left.  Those were great days.  That's why I didn't want to see the SU's leave, not because I didn't think you could make it in DI, but because I didn't want to destroy what we had.  I'm sure I'll never get the same satisfaction out of USD sports that I did at one time.  If our men's bball team wins a game in the big dance one year, I guess I'll have to get on this board and eat some crow.
                          USD is going to have to show some humility and accept their current fate. When you snooze you lose, as they say. The NCC was one of the better DII conferences in its best days. Recently, DII has a whole elected to water things down and that isn't consistent with the direction SDSU wants to go. Therefore, the institution and its leaders demonstrated the courage to move forward on our terms. We didn't worry about the loss of past rivals we actively pursued new rivalries. We didn't worry about being a DI-Independent, it was a temporary assignment for us. The past is a place to remember fondly but the current day is what will define the future.

USD shouldn't be worried about what they are leaving, they better start thinking about what they have gotten themselves into. It doesn't matter who you want to play or where, you take whatever games someone is willing to give you. When it doesn't seem fair you say, thank you and may we come again? It takes some character, patience and a lot of humility to do that. Just ask anyone associated with our men's BB program right now.

Its really a shame that you can't imagine USD competing at the DI level. Its that lack of confidence and vision that continues to hold our universities and their students back. SD can and will compete on a national level in the DI ranks. USD's track program is excellent and will only improve. Student athletes will relish the opportunity to compete at the highest level. I have little doubt that more teams from the NCC past (like Northern Iowa) will be in the big dance one day. I suspect one of the FB programs will be competing for a DI FCS championship in the next 5 years.

Nobody cares if USD has made 12 post-season DII appearances and 4 in a row in men's BB as touted in the latest article in the Argus. SDSU made 24 post-season appearances and 8 of the last 9 at the DII level. Show some confidence in the decision made by the administration at USD. They say they have done their homework. No its time for the hard work. Can you handle it?
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                            [quote author=juice link=1173301572/0#7 date=1173373082]
                            Its really a shame that you can't imagine USD competing at the DI level.  Its that lack of confidence and vision that continues to hold our universities and their students back.  SD can and will compete on a national level in the DI ranks.  USD's track program is excellent and will only improve.  Student athletes will relish the opportunity to compete at the highest level.  I have little doubt that more teams from the NCC past (like Northern Iowa) will be in the big dance one day.  I suspect one of the FB programs will be competing for a DI FCS championship in the next 5 years.
                            It's not a situation where I don't think USD can compete at the DI level, because I feel they can. I just don't think they will be in the thick of the title hunt, except maybe someday football, because of the IAA classification. I realize that the teams are better in I-AA than DII, but it really wouldn't excite me anymore to see USD make a run in the I-AA playoffs than it would to see them make a run in the DII playoffs. I really don't think it gets that much more notoriety. I'm a big sports fan, but before SDSU moved up to DI, I wouldn't ever have been able to tell you who the best teams of IAA were. Because of SDSU I did try to follow IAA this year, but I still couldn't tell you who won it or who was even in the final 4.

Chances are USD's men and women's basketball teams are not going to win the DII title this year, but it gets me excited thinking they might have a chance, because they are both in the regionals. I don't know if I will be able to feel like that once USD is DI. I still expect us to compete, and I feel there are a lot of conferences out there that we would do very well in right now. So do not take my feelings about our DI move as me not thinking USD will be able to compete. Unless you mean I don't think our men will be able to compete with the likes of Duke, Arizona, UCLA, North Carolina, ect. because I don't see that happening. If that's what you meant when you said "It's a shame that I can't see USD competing at the DI level" then you are correct. Because I don't think we will ever be competing with them and maybe it is a shame I don't feel like that.

Comment

I felt a lot like Juice and some of the other USD fans when SDSU was considering the transition.  I have to ask them if it weren't for the NCC how much would you know about St. Cloud State University or the University of Nebraska at Omaha, or any other non-Dakota NCC school?  Probably not very much!  You will soon get to know other DI schools as well as you know the NCC schools.  I had never heard of Georgia Southern and knew little about Cal-Poly or UC Davis.  Now I know at least as much, probably more, about them than the NCC opponents I named above.  Juice, if you are a true sports fan it won't take long for you to come to know and appreciate your future opponents.  Prepare to broaden your horizons.  You will enjoy the ride.  I am certain of it!

Comment

Working...
                              X