Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stu Strikes Again!

Originally posted by 1bunnies
    It is so simple to take care of Stu. Tell everyone you know that subscribes to the Argus to cancel their subscriptions. When they are asked why, be honest and let them know your feelings about Stu. If Stu costs the Argus many subscription cancellations, they will take action. I dropped mine several months ago. Pass the word and get him out.
    I had thought about subscribing to the Argus Leader understandng that it would probably be a day or two late (I live in the Black Hills) just because of the good coverage Solari provided. Obviouisly, the lack of coverage this year has made me decide otherwise. Now with Stu's comments I don't know that I'll ever subscribe to it even if I lived closer to Sioux Falls. I wish OkRabbit/JackPhd was still hanging around as he would have some good insight into this.

Comment

I thought about subscribing to the Argus too, but after thinking about it, they really don't offer too much of the news that I want. Not just sports, but everything. They get zeroed in on one area to cover and that's it.

Comment

What can you say. Just when Stu seems to have hit bottom he comes back with a bigger shovel and starts digging again. Nice Stu, nice.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          What can you say.  Just when Stu seems to have hit bottom he comes back with a bigger shovel and starts digging again.  Nice Stu, nice.

Anslo of "Keeping up Appearences' a British comedy series on PBS, likes to use the word "Nice" in often a sarcastic way and often means the opposite. Stu is going to be Stu. I am going to be nice and say no more.

Comment

Stu is looking for suggestions in this thread.

http://sdsportstalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

Maybe some of you guys can let him know.

Comment

Meethinks the guy can dish it out, but he can't take it?
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
                Stu is looking for suggestions in this thread.  

http://sdsportstalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

A real professional!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you think you could have written a better article, feel free to call with suggestions. 605-977-3922 ext. 922, or e-mail swhitney@argusleader.com.

Sincerely Yours,
                Stu Whitney

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../1135/SPORTS05

This guy just doesn't want to give up on poking fun at our message board. Well, instead of using the "three fingers" and "Jackmd is not a real doctor" slams, he goes further and denigrates all message board posters:
                  It's an effective way to keep fans tuned in to their teams - and away from the daily tedium of matters such as finding a job, reading books or moving out of their uncle's basement.
                  Apparently, Stu, you've obviously been spending too much time on message boards since you often struggle to churn out a coherent article......

Talk about a waste of newspaper print and cyberspace. : : :

Comment

I like the posts where he spells word wrong on purpose as an attempt at ridiculing the intelligence of those on message boards. This occurs a day or two after the edition of the Argus sports page in Yankton, SD has a headline with "starring" spelled "staring". Did anyone else see that or was it just the copy of the paper I looked at?

I see the website has the proper spelling, I suspect the early print copies snuck out with the error in place. This is despite editing, which isn't necessary or expected on a message board.

Stu really spits in the face of those who he needs most, the sports fan. Especially the avid sports fan who might frequent a message board about their team or crave articles covering even the most mundane topics, an area where Stu seems to excel.

I hope Stu's is not too upset about the criticism and banter posted here with regards to his biased views on SDSU. What might he expect when he writes those articles and makes those comments? It might be best if Stu sticks to covering high school football, seems to match his intellect the best.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think Stu tried stealing that mock thread filbert made, boy is he sinking to new lows.

Comment

It's bad enough that he can't take criticism... it seems most media-type people cant... but to STEAL from our own beloved filbert?!?!

Filbert, challenge this no-talent hack to a deuel!
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                          It's bad enough that he can't take criticism... it seems most media-type people cant... but to STEAL from our own beloved filbert?!?!

Filbert, challenge this no-talent hack to a deuel!
                          Don't need to. The duel is over and done. My fake board thread was already funnier than Stu's.

My impression is that he had no idea that I'd already lampooned bulletin board wackiness. This is in fact the most charitable view that I can take of his article. His article simply isn't that funny, unless you consider making fun of spelling errors and tiresome living-in-the-basement jokes funny.

Stu's just another guy who works for a newspaper, thinks he's funnier than he really is, and has a glass jaw when it comes to criticism. There's lots of them around.

I'm sure he'll get some kind of an award for today's article--for bravely facing down the anonymous spell-check-ignorers of the bulletin boards. Good on ya, Stu, keep 'em coming!
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh, yeah, one more thought:

Old (19th Century): "Don't start an argument with someone who buys ink by the barrel." -- Mark Twain (probably).

New (21st Century): "Don't annoy someone who has more spare time than you do." -- Zadaz (an Anonymous Slashdot Poster), via Glenn Reynolds (Instapundit, blogger extraordinaire, and law professor at the University of Tennessee.)
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

All I can say is ... WOW. :
                              I stayed away from this thread because I dont live in SD anymore so i dont get the Argus, and I seldom read the online version. I read about how stu bashed members on this site... still didnt post. Just read that article of a fake message board...feel i have to post.

This article seems like the second attempt to make fun of/trash on people who write on message boards (not necessarily this board :) It really just bothers me that Stu needs to try to bash on the people that are hard core fans of local sports. Anyone that is using forums is trying to share in a community of people that are very loyal to their sports teams, this one being SDSU. It just bothers me that he feels the need to make fun of us, and other forum users. This forum is not the Argus, we are not always perfect, but we (atleast myselft) expect newspapers and their writers to have a certain level of professionalism that should not be compromised no matter what the situation is.

I can understand a sports writer not doing a good job covering a sports team, especially if they short on writers, but being unprofessional and ignorant is completely different.

If you are reading this Stu please IM me and I will send you my full name and address and we can talk about what I have posted as civilized individuals. Or you could just make fun of this post next week in the argus, your choice.

Sorry to the rest of the board for my rant.

Comment

Not to be politcal, but I read a number of times, that blogs in general are starting to have an effect on how elections are won and how campaigning is conducted. The political handlers have had the power in the past by putting out a preception that often is false, but it gets voters to the polls to vote for their candidate. These paid political ads are only watched without having to deal with any response negatively or positively.

Now with online blogers and more choices for readers, the things that worked in the past may not work in the future. Blogs are an affective way of expressing opinions that do not coincide with a large views of Poltical ads or that of a large news organization that depends on advertisement for their existence. The blogger can say what ever he/she wants to say and  its just a matter of finding the readers.

I think the message boards are somewhat like blogs. A sports columnist with the state's largest and most read newpaper does have power and it has given him power in the past. (i.e. Stu Whitney)

Why is it that media sports writers and broadcasters take time to read this message board and others?

They need ideas and they can also judge reader reaction by reading this board.  They are looking for something new some times. So to some writers, the board criticism means little and the boards maybe helpful to the writer or boardcaster in general.

Stu for some reason feels threaten by the presence of message boards. Why else would he be bashing? Most people who read Stu's column would not take time to write him a scathing letter after reading some of his stirring remarks that are printed, but with this message board, we have three pages of expressed opinions on this thread about Stu and most of it is not complimentary.

I think this board has found a way to express and share our views of Mr. Whitney. As far as I am concerned, Stu is getting what he deserves, namely criticizm that he loves to dish out in his column and hope no one responds. Now he needs a way to strike back so what appeared in recent column is not surprising.

Comment

Working...
                                X