X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Originally posted by Jacks02
    One thing USD is going to need to learn is how to hold a DI press conference.  Craig and Bob were ripping on USD yesterday about them calling up the station the morning of the press conference telling them that they were going to have a "big news" press conference.  USD then proceeded to hold the press conference in a building that didn't have a phone link-up for a live broadcast back to Sioux Falls stations.  KWSN had to work a deal with a Yankton radio station to get a feed that that station used a cell phone to get.  The sound quality was terrible and I literally had to turn the radio all the way up and mess with the bass and treble just to understand what people were saying in the press conference.

As Craig said on the show, if USD had planned ahead by a day or two they probably could have had a couple TV crews there with live feeds.  Instead they called the morning of and held the conference in a building that didn't even have telephone lines  :

Looks like they have some great leadership going forward in this transition....
    I saw a picture of the press conference, it looked like they were in the basement of some old building. I think they were sitting next to an old boiler. Classy

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Well it looks like our reporter friend up north wants to join in on the smack talk

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

I personally like item No. 5 ;D ;D ;D
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
        One thing USD is going to need to learn is how to hold a DI press conference. Craig and Bob were ripping on USD yesterday about them calling up the station the morning of the press conference telling them that they were going to have a "big news" press conference. USD then proceeded to hold the press conference in a building that didn't have a phone link-up for a live broadcast back to Sioux Falls stations. KWSN had to work a deal with a Yankton radio station to get a feed that that station used a cell phone to get. The sound quality was terrible and I literally had to turn the radio all the way up and mess with the bass and treble just to understand what people were saying in the press conference.

As Craig said on the show, if USD had planned ahead by a day or two they probably could have had a couple TV crews there with live feeds. Instead they called the morning of and held the conference in a building that didn't even have telephone lines :

USD(d-1?) really wasn't thinking about this one. Granted, they tore down their student union this fall, but I'm sure they could have found a place in the DakotaDumpTM or the "Sugar Daddy Al" Media Center to have the press conference instead of the antiquated room that they used.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
          [quote author=Jacks02 link=1164864014/0#14 date=1164951758]One thing USD is going to need to learn is how to hold a DI press conference.  Craig and Bob were ripping on USD yesterday about them calling up the station the morning of the press conference telling them that they were going to have a "big news" press conference.  USD then proceeded to hold the press conference in a building that didn't have a phone link-up for a live broadcast back to Sioux Falls stations.  KWSN had to work a deal with a Yankton radio station to get a feed that that station used a cell phone to get.  The sound quality was terrible and I literally had to turn the radio all the way up and mess with the bass and treble just to understand what people were saying in the press conference.

As Craig said on the show, if USD had planned ahead by a day or two they probably could have had a couple TV crews there with live feeds.  Instead they called the morning of and held the conference in a building that didn't even have telephone lines  :

USD(d-1?) really wasn't thinking about this one. Granted, they tore down their student union this fall, but I'm sure they could have found a place in the DakotaDumpTM or the "Sugar Daddy Al" Media Center to have the press conference instead of the antiquated room that they used.[/quote]

I am quite certain that their press conference was held in one of the finest rooms in the nation to hold a press conference.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80
            Somebody needs to go over to the USD fan board and fire some people up!  Do they even know how to use that thing??

Biggest news in school history and there is 1 post!  WOW

Also, I was listening to the worst sports talk show in the midwest yesterday "KWSN, Craig and Bob" or "Dip and S#$t" and they took about 12 calls from listeners...there were 8 calls from SDSU fans, wishing them luck, and 2 sounded like Augie fans and 2 guys who sounded like they didn't even graduate from high school complaining about D-I moves in general.  ZERO YOTE FANS???????
            WHERE ARE ALL THE YOTE FANS??  HELLO...YOU WENT DIVISION 1 YESTERDAY!!  Get the bong away from your mouth and stick up for your school's decision.

Maybe Coyote fans had better things to do than to be listening to the worst sports talk show in the midwest. Or maybe they are like me and not happy with the move.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
              Well it looks like our reporter friend up north wants to join in on the smack talk

I personally like item No. 5  ;D ;D ;D
              I like #2 because that is gonna happen a lot. I am definetly one of the immuture ones that will be talking about it for 4 years or more!
              "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack

I personally like item No. 5  ;D ;D ;D
                Well the reporter keeps adding to his blog and the list keeps moving down the page, so here is the list of issues USD's beat writer needs to know now that he will be covering a D-1 school in transition without a conference.

1. Buy an NCAA manual. This is your bible. There will be rules and stipulations in the coming four years that will scratch your mind, as well as the administrative minds of the team you're covering. Good luck.

2. Get used to the rival "eat crow" comments. Actually, they're pertinent for about a week. Both USD and UND should have been proactive with this move four years ago. But there will be immature folks who will carry that argument for four years and beyond. They just will never get over it.

3. At every opportunity, explain what the exploratory period is and the length of the reclassifciation period.

4. At every opportunity, explain the Great West Football Conference is FOOTBALL ONLY. NDSU has been in the Great West for all three years and there are still people confused that it is a one-sport league.

5. Mentor the USD administrators that a school does not apply for membership into a conference. It begs.

6. Get the home, work and cell phone numbers of the USD compliance person. He or she is crucial in the move, especially early on.

7. Call me before booking a hotel room in Cedar City.

8. When the Coyotes play at Cal Poly, try to arrange your boss to get you there a week early because the game is so huge it requires on-site reporting for days.

9. Don't worry about covering volleyball, softball, soccer or baseball games. About 98 percent of their games will be on the road.

10. Playoffs are over-rated in the athletes' minds. They care more about playing good competition and their own playing time than postseason.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                  I took the liberty of pulling this over from the real USD to DI thread because it probably contains enough smack to offend the yote fans that my view the board. Losers.

[quote author=RenoRabbit link=1164833073/60#62 date=1164863661]EVERYONE on this board saying they do not want to play them will count the days, hours, and minutes to when we finally do.  

The U is like a hot ex-girlfriend.  You broke up because you couldn't stand her, but you still booty call her when your drunk at 3AM.  You use her and leave before you have to look at her in the morning.
                  Let me go on record as saying I am not EVERYONE.  I for one could care less if we ever play USD in any sport ever again.  The headaches associated with playing USD are not worth it. More time should be put into creating awareness of our conference opponents and bringing fans back in other ways, rather than hoping that one USD game will make budget for the year. It didn't work that way in DII, it doesn't work in DI.

Oh, and USD if far from the hot ex-girlfriend. They are more like the fat chick on a bad drunk that you hope you never see again and avoid in the commons at all costs. I'm sure bluehat can relate to that ;D[/quote]

Hey CatchEmAll I cannot fairly say EVERYONE, but I was just trying to make a point.  I do like the comparison on USD.  After analysis how could I call USD hot.  I myself think USD has the WORST fans and facilities around and do not look forward to attending games at the Dakota Bin, but I will be there not to accomadate USD, but to supports our beloved Jacks.  

Changing subjects.  How can USD compete with the other Dakota D1 schools when it comes to facilities.  They by far have the worst facilities out of us 4 schools.  SDSU has a wellness center planned, major renovations to CAS, as well as new baseball and softball fields.  I also heard they were talking about renovating the Barn to house VB and Wrestling, but I do not know if that is valid.  USD has the Grain Bin with new Dak scoreboards, that's it!  Facility wise we are behind NDSU, but we are committed to updating and adding facilities to catch up.  

USD thinks they have enough facilities to attract student athletes?  If that is the case then why did UND and NDSU build new FB facilities?  Year after year we lose quality home grown SD athletes to both ND schools; is it because they like the weather?  Academics are very similar when comparing NDSU to SDSU and UND to USD.  Facilities make a big difference and that is why SDSU is committed to providing new and updated facilities; to keep our talent here.  Before I get crucified on my last statement on us losing SD talent to ND, I will add that some of the talent we have lost was not worth keeping.  Still, name the last ND athlete to attend SDSU or USD that made a difference on the field/court?  I can name many that crossed the borders.

Final thought.  One of the Argus guys referenced Fred O. as Nostradomus on their PodCast.  Can you believe that?  Fred better say we will make the final four in the next ten years in MBB and WBB if that is the case.  Fred and Gene (NDSU) simply stated the obvious, only the rest of the NCC was too dumb to see the writing on the wall.

RV -out-

Comment

Let me gaze into the crystal ball... I predict that USD fans will change their talking points, and will no longer dismiss D-I as being "just a label". They will recognize that D-I is a higher level than D-II. (some may be confused, because 2 is a higher number than 1).

Comment

The editor of the Argus' "Voices" section has decided to weigh in on USD(d-1?)'s move up:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0111/612050316

This guy has some really weak lines in this one; he must be wanting to compete with Stu-pid for lameness.

I appreciate the progressive spirit of Vermillion.
                      Patrick, why didn't your alma mater move up to D-1 30 years ago if Verminville is so progressive?

The coyote is a majestic and underappreciated predator.
                      Give me a break! I guess someone's never lived on a farm.....

There was that time in the mid-1980s when the USD football team, undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the country, got beat on an October day in Brookings in what can only be blamed on the almighty.
                      I suppose Patrick believes that Pres. Wagner (who is also a minister) arranged for divine intervention that day....

There's already a whole generation of college students who will miss out on the State-U experience.
                      There's also a whole generation of college students who didn't have to worry about getting into a fistfight or facing car vandalism when they traveled to see their team play their biggest rival. NDSU fans are a lot more classier than USD(d-1?) fans. Perhaps you should go up to Brookings, Patrick, and ask some SDSU fans if they care anymore about USD(d-1?).........

Comment

I posted this link on the non-smack thread re: USD(d-1?)'s move up, but Kimmes really laid down some zingers on Coyote County.

http://media.www.sdsucollegian.com/m...epublisher.com

Here are a few of the smack highlights:

I say SDSU should make minimal, if any, attempt to restore this once-cherished rivalry.
                        I admit I am petty enough to not want to help them out. When SDSU made the decision to make the move to D-I, USD did nothing to help. In fact, they made a point to hold a press conference announcing they were not moving. USD supporters criticized the Jacks' decision to make the move. Now, they are making the move after SDSU and NDSU have found success.
                        Bottom line - we do not owe them anything as formal rivals by assisting them in any way. By us making the move first, we have already assisted them. We succeeded on our own. Let's see the Coyotes succeed with an easier path. I wish them luck in their transition. They'll need it.
                        Well said, Kimmes!

Comment

Man some people at USD are just clueless. Read this post on the USD board

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com...ead=1165465398

I know nobody posts on their board and maybe he is just driving himself crazy talking to himself, but this guy has no clue what he is talking about.
                          He really thinks USD is going to play Nebraska in football? Not for a long time, if ever.

Well if you want a good laugh then click on the link. He should just :-X

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Nielson was at Wake and he did say some things about keeping his connections to the ACC open. Whether he is blowing hot air or being honest is tough to say. I could see USD playing at Wake or another ACC school. Its no different than playing Minnesota, Wisconsin, Baylor, Marquette, etc... when you think about it.

As for talk about playing a road game against an SEC team in FB, thats just insanity!! The biggest reason the Gophers and Iowa St. are willing to play the SU's is the crowds we can draw while providing a "lower level" of competition than a DIA program and still counting towards a bowl bid. Problem being, NDSU kind of screwed up their plan. USD playing an SEC school in FB, man that is crazy!!!

Nebraska is probably a possibility 5 plus years down the road. Gotta pay for the scholarships first. Hannah (I think he is a scholarship guy at the U) was very critical of DIAA teams playing DI teams when USD was a "DII member for life" so he'll be sticking his stinky foot in his mouth if USD "sacrifices" its athletes for a paycheck.

USD playing an SEC school in FB, crazy!!
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Wow does that guy really thinks they are going to play USC or Texas in football anytime soon? Give me a break. USC and Texas are playing for a national title every year, no way they are going to schedule a team transitioning from D-II. The same thing could be said about them playing UNC or Duke, not gonna happen in this lifetime buddy.

Comment

I think he's got some good points.

On another note, I heard that SDSU was trying to get a home and home with notre dame going! Man, seeing the fighting Irish at Coughlin is going to be fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X