X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coyote Coach comments on Jackrabbits

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    *From the Moderator

Since it doesn't seem that we have a first hand account of what was said, I feel more comfortable with this thread in the smack section.
    Moderate as you think necessary but understand that any information I post here will be from individuals who have vested interest in both universities (either, or, or both, if you know what I mean).  Its not word of mouth as much as it is "words from mouths".  

Lavin said what he said and until he is on this forum to dispute or confirm it I suppose its heresay.  No more than a lot of other things posted here that aren't smack.  If the talk in southeast SD as it pertains to SDSU and USD is only smack than you have made the right decision.  
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Free advice to Pres. Abbott and A.D. Nielson: Start looking for a new women's basketball coach ASAP. Lavin couldn't cut it at Wyoming and things will fall apart once your WBB team is a lowly independent and starts playing the Nebraksa, Alabamas, and Virginias (let alone the carnage that will occur if Lavin schedules a Baylor, Marquette or even a MTSU) of D-I. He won't be able to rely on D-I castoffs anymore and Coyote fans will realize how bare the cupboard is. He is simply a coach of bush-league calibar, nothing more.

Comment

=

Only because this is now a smack thread!  Nice picture Chad, you jack###!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I wasn't at the QB meeting, but I have had conversations with Lavin before. I will say that he does feel the SDSU DII championship team was better than the current SDSU team. You can say that is disrespectful to SDSU if you want, but you could also say that is showing the championship team a lot of respect. I guess if I had played on the Championship team I would see it as disrespectful to say this years team would beat the one I played on. After watching both teams play this year Lavin does feel that UND is the better team, and would win the NCC even if SDSU was in it. I don't think that opinion means he's disrespecting the Jacks or that he hates the Jacks. I guess if he said SDSU would win the NCC had they been in it this year, then every other team in the NCC could look at it like they were disrespected. He just feels very strongly that UND has a great team this year, maybe even a top 20 DI team.

I doubt very much that Lavin would be holding any resentment towards SDSU over not being recruited years ago. I do know that he has never liked the way SDSU has negatively recruited against USD. He has been thanked by many recruits for not talking bad about other schools, and has been told by many that SDSU really talked bad about USD in the recruiting process. If you guys remember, one recruits dad even wrote a letter to the Argus Leader thanking USD for not negatively recruiting his daughter. His daughter ended up not signing with any of the SD schools. I'm not here to bash SDSU and their recruiting techniques, because obviously they have been successful with them. It's a cut-throat business, and maybe if Lavin learned that he would be able to pull in some better recruits right out of high school. He is always very gracious to any recruit he does lose, and wishes them luck, and I do think that has helped him get a lot of transfers over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
            I doubt very much that Lavin would be holding any resentment towards SDSU over not being recruited years ago.  I do know that he has never liked the way SDSU has negatively recruited against USD.  He has been thanked by many recruits for not talking bad about other schools, and has been told by many that SDSU really talked bad about USD in the recruiting process.  If you guys remember, one recruits dad even wrote a letter to the Argus Leader thanking USD for not negatively recruiting his daughter. His daughter ended up not signing with any of the SD schools.
            Not that anyone should be surprised we talk bad about USD when we recruit. How could anyone blame us considering the disrespect we've been shown by that instution over the years. I hope we continue to do it...especially women's BB. As you said, it is working for us. And if we want to discuss ethics during recruiting processes I've heard many times Lavin breaking NCAA rules when talking to parents and recruits when he shouldn't be. That I would say is far worse then negatively recruiting against USD.

Comment

I wasn't at the QB meeting, but I have had conversations with Lavin before.  I will say that he does feel the SDSU DII championship team was better than the current SDSU team.  You can say that is disrespectful to SDSU if you want, but you could also say that is showing the championship team a lot of respect.  I guess if I had played on the Championship team I would see it as disrespectful to say this years team would beat the one I played on.  After watching both teams play this year Lavin does feel that UND is the better team, and would win the NCC even if SDSU was in it.  I don't think that opinion means he's disrespecting the Jacks or that he hates the Jacks.  I guess if he said SDSU would win the NCC had they been in it this year, then every other team in the NCC could look at it like they were disrespected.  He just feels very strongly that UND has a great team this year, maybe even a top 20 DI team.

I doubt very much that Lavin would be holding any resentment towards SDSU over not being recruited years ago.  I do know that he has never liked the way SDSU has negatively recruited against USD.  He has been thanked by many recruits for not talking bad about other schools, and has been told by many that SDSU really talked bad about USD in the recruiting process.  If you guys remember, one recruits dad even wrote a letter to the Argus Leader thanking USD for not negatively recruiting his daughter. His daughter ended up not signing with any of the SD schools.  I'm not here to bash SDSU and their recruiting techniques, because obviously they have been successful with them.  It's a cut-throat business, and maybe if Lavin learned that he would be able to pull in some better recruits right out of high school.  He is always very gracious to any recruit he does lose, and wishes them luck, and I do think that has helped him get a lot of transfers over the years.

Should SDSU Coaches say only nice things about USD? If the answer is yes our coaches should be on the USD payroll. Where is written that only nice things can be said about USD? The t shirts  now shucks that was only fun, it was not negative and Fred Oien should have a good sense of humor about his family problems and if a few duffus students want to profit, its okay, because we are USD. I am following your reasoning properly? ;D

BTW when SDSU announced going D1, your wonderful coach Lavin, could not leave an SDSU booster alone during Mid Night Mass in Clear Lake. I been told the SDSU booster was given a tongue lashing. So much for Christmas spirit, and if the resent to being passed over is not alive and well with in Chad Lavin, you are mistaken. Lavin is a classless individual.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham

Should SDSU Coaches say only nice things about USD? If the answer is yes our coaches should be on the USD payroll. Where is written that only nice things can be said about USD? The t shirts  now shucks that was only fun, it was not negative and Fred Oien should have a good sense of humor about his family problems and if a few duffus students want to profit, its okay, because we are USD. I am following your reasoning properly? ;D

Is this what I said? :-?  Did I say SDSU coaches should only say nice things about USD? Because I don't recall saying that. What I said was that I wasn't bashing SDSU's recruiting techniques and that they have worked for you, and maybe Lavin should adopt them.  So no, you are not following my reasoning properly. I think USD would be better served in the recruiting process if Lavin had a little less class. Sometimes it's not good enough to just talk good about your own school.

Comment

ARE YOU SERIOUS. YOU THINK THE GUY THAT TOOK MANDY KOUPAL FROM SDSU AFTER HER FRESHMAN YEAR NEEDS A LITTLE LESS CLASS IN THE RECRUITING PROCESS?????

I would say that Lavin is about as cut throat as you get. If Koupal simply wanted transfer, its funny how she ended up at USD, I'm sure any of the schools would have taken the NCC freshman of the year. How about Natalie Carda, another great recruit for the yotes!

Don't take this as being bitter about the transfers, but I would say that Lavin doesn't need to be teaching us lessons about class in recruiting.

Comment

Let's just let the 'Yotes continue on their path their class-act for a coach and we'll just keep on keeping on with AJ!  Their records pretty much speak for themselves.  

AJ is probably on his way to bigger and better things in the not so distant future and Lavin will be stuck in the downward spiral of transition in the world's largest s***hole, the Dakota Dump!

No hard feelings there juice, just trying to keep things classy there chief!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

After watching both teams play this year Lavin does feel that UND is the better team, and would win the NCC even if SDSU was in it.
                      So, let me get this straight. The team that has beaten powerhouses like North Georgia College, Lock Haven, Texas A&M Commerce, Metro State, Montana St - Billings, Lewis, Moorhead, St. Martin's, Mayville State, Mary, Dickinson, Alaska Fairbanks, Minnesota Crookston, Concordia St. Paul, Bemidji, Seattle U, Seattle Pacific, St. Cloud, Minnesota State, USD, and Omaha, and has LOST to Northern

would beat

A team that has beaten: Middle Tennessee (#19), USC, Virginia, Kansas, Colorado, Alabama, and Minnesota?

Lavin must be a frickin' genius. Can you explain how UND is better than all of those D1 teams, Juice? Or perhaps Lavin is full of it and was just bloviating for a red meat Coyote crowd. What do you think, Juice? Is UND better than Middle Tennessee? Virginia? USC? Or is your coach just flapping his gums?
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                        [quote author=juice link=1169357867/15#18 date=1169669195]After watching both teams play this year Lavin does feel that UND is the better team, and would win the NCC even if SDSU was in it.
                        So, let me get this straight. The team that has beaten powerhouses like North Georgia College, Lock Haven, Texas A&M Commerce, Metro State, Montana St - Billings, Lewis, Moorhead, St. Martin's, Mayville State, Mary, Dickinson, Alaska Fairbanks, Minnesota Crookston, Concordia St. Paul, Bemidji, Seattle U, Seattle Pacific, St. Cloud, Minnesota State, USD, and Omaha, and has LOST to Northern

would beat

A team that has beaten: Middle Tennessee (#19), USC, Virginia, Kansas, Colorado, Alabama, and Minnesota?

Lavin must be a frickin' genius. Can you explain how UND is better than all of those D1 teams, Juice? Or perhaps Lavin is full of it and was just bloviating for a red meat Coyote crowd. What do you think, Juice? Is UND better than Middle Tennessee? Virginia? USC? Or is your coach just flapping his gums?[/quote]

Lavin really does think that. I have no doubt. To say it out loud is less than tactful but harmless to SDSU. The harm is in his arrogance. He knows what SDSU has accomplished and the only way to protect his fragile ego is to believe it is less than it is. It doesn't make it so and it only further tarnishes his questionable character. I hope USD keeps him around forever, its only a benefit for other programs.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

We'll see how good or bad Lavin is in a couple of seasons when his stockpile of D-1 also-rans from other schools has to play with against D-1 competition instead of teams from the proud but weakened NCC and a goodly number of lower-level cupcakes.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Well, Chad and his girls got beat by UMD 76-71 tonight. Nice job Coach. Spend more time worrying about your level of play than the one well above you. Next time someone asks you about SDSU say something to the respect "they are a lot better than USD right now". Idiot, how else can you explain it? USD is now 1-3 in the NCC. Sure, their losses are to Augie, UND and UMD but to even suggest that a program ranked in the 30's in rpi at the DI level can't compete for the championship in the NCC is nothing short of idiotic. No excuses, no alternatives, just idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                              Well, Chad and his girls got beat by UMD 76-71 tonight.  Nice job Coach.  Spend more time worrying about your level of play than the one well above you.  Next time someone asks you about SDSU say something to the respect "they are a lot better than USD right now".  Idiot, how else can you explain it?  USD is now 1-3 in the NCC.  Sure, their losses are to Augie, UND and UMD but to even suggest that a program ranked in the 30's in rpi at the DI level can't compete for the championship in the NCC is nothing short of idiotic.  No excuses, no alternatives, just idiotic.
                              I'm sure this was a much better UMD team than the one we saw.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                                [quote author=jackmd link=1169357867/15#27 date=1169781094]Well, Chad and his girls got beat by UMD 76-71 tonight.  Nice job Coach.  Spend more time worrying about your level of play than the one well above you.  Next time someone asks you about SDSU say something to the respect "they are a lot better than USD right now".  Idiot, how else can you explain it?  USD is now 1-3 in the NCC.  Sure, their losses are to Augie, UND and UMD but to even suggest that a program ranked in the 30's in rpi at the DI level can't compete for the championship in the NCC is nothing short of idiotic.  No excuses, no alternatives, just idiotic.
                                I'm sure this was a much better UMD team than the one we saw.[/quote]

Plus the game was at Duluth.

Comment

Working...
                                X