Bring on the Bison!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring on the Bison!

Since we have contributors from up north I thought it would be good to get a little conversation going about the game on October 9th. Seems only fair that the regional rival garner some attention.

By my calculation from today (April 1) there are 191 days until we beat the Bison in year 1 A.U. (After Upgrade). (anyone know if there's a way to put some sort of count-down timer on this site).

Don't care what title the game has (Hobo Day, Beef Bowl, Shrine Game, Cereal Bowl), all I know is that outside of our first game with a 1AA opponent, October 9th is the biggest and most important game of the year. Why? Simple, RIVALRY. Beat 'em. Beat 'em in every sport we play against them. Beat 'em in the class room. Beat 'em in fund raising campus wide. But most importantly, BEAT THE BISON. Think about it. North Dakota-South Dakota. Outsiders are going to logically compare NDSU to SDSU. Whichever athletic department has the most success is going to inch their university ahead in public perception from those outside of ND & SD. Therefore, it is vital to start the transition on a high note. Football will be an obvious platform. Why? Because Bison men's basketball traditionally gets less attention than the women's and women's basketball isn't typically a measuring stick for athletic department success unless you're at UConn.

So, back to the topic at hand, Bring on Mama Bison! We don't have to hate NDSU like we hate USD, but we damn well sure better want to beat them even more than we wanted to beat USD because they will be a measuring stick, like it or not.

I can honestly say I know next to nothing about recent Bison football. My memories end with Rocky Hager and the Beachy brothers. And since I care nothing about surfing Bisonville, educate me. Tell me who the big guns at NDSU are. Tell me why the Bison will dominate the GW Conference. SDSU fans, educate me as well. My interest waned after Ranek left and I haven't really been convinced that we're on the right track. And once the Bison fans give there two cents (which I hope they do otherwise I've wasted ten minutes starting this topic), stick up for SDSU and tell me and the FES'ers why SDSU football with Beat the Bison in 191 days and why we will be the top team in the GWC.

My knowledge base starts here. From what I've read and what I've heard, our D-Coordinator is a bad-ass. That alone tells me that NDSU will get nothing on offense. Looks like NDSU's hired a number of new coaches recently. Why the turnover in Bisonland?

Re: Bring on the Bison!

NDSU's coach left to become an NFL assistant (good for him).

NDSU's team should be about the same as last year - we'll have to see if the long road trips wear the team down or not. We'll have a better idea after the two teams get done with their spring games.

I'd love to see the NDSU-SDSU rivalry become a big deal too but just like hoopla-4u I wouldn't want to see it turn into something as bitter as the NDSU-UND or SDSU-USD rivalry.

Comment

I could ramble on about how NDSU is returning most of the team from last year, or about better coaching or players, but I'll refrain from that. How about history has a tendancy to repeat itself?-http://www.bisonville.com/zg002106.html

As far as the coaches, it's nothing new for NDSU. Jeff McInerney, former D Line coach, took over as the D-Coordinator for Rhode Island (I-AA); Dan Enos, former O coordinator, took over as the QB coach for Cincinnati (I-A);Van Malone, former WR coach, took over as the cornerbacks coach at Western Michigan (I-A). Coach Bohl had to assemble a staff quickly last year, and some departures were expected.

Comment

True the Bison have a historical advantage over the rabbits. However, I seem to remember that the last time the Bison came to Brookings that they left town with a BIG FAT L! ;D

Comment

Sports ... don't you love it.? You can get your ass pasted 99 times in a row and then WIN! Then, by heavens you have got bragging rights. That's the great thing about sports .... you're only as good as your last meeting. So, bring on them Bison!

Comment

Originally posted by DanceswithRabbits
            True the Bison have a historical advantage over the rabbits.  However, I seem to remember that the last time the Bison came to Brookings that they left town with a BIG FAT L!      ;D
            touche!

But a win two years ago, against the worst team NDSU has put on a football field in nearly 30 years is far from a sure thing this year. ;D

Hopefully I can make it to Brookings this year. I haven't been able to get down there for a football game, ever. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
              As far as the coaches, it's nothing new for NDSU. Jeff McInerney, former D Line coach, took over as the D-Coordinator for Rhode Island (I-AA); Dan Enos, former O coordinator, took over as the QB coach for Cincinnati (I-A);Van Malone, former WR coach, took over as the cornerbacks coach at Western Michigan (I-A). Coach Bohl had to assemble a staff quickly last year, and some departures were expected.
              I guess I remember the old coach (Babich?) leaving and no one being too sad over the deal. I know some coaches are job hoppers, but three guys leaving in one year is a lot, especially since the staff was together less than a year. Atleast they moved onto IAA and IA jobs. Any prognosis on how good the new staff is?

I guess we shouldn't talk, SDSU replaced two coaches this year as well. Should be interesting to see how all of the new coaches fit into both NDSU and SDSU and the new level of play.

Never like being shut out in a game as the Jacks were last year. Lets hope we exact a little revenge in Brookings this year. The one thing I will look forward to is that first victory in the Fargo Dome. I've been up there a couple of times for different events. Can't say that I like it one bit. Only been to one football game though, didn't like that either. Anyone got any history as to the last SDSU victory in Fargo?

I'm guessing at Coughlin this year the result will be different. And no excuses about the last trip to Brookings being the worst Bison team in 30 years, a win is a win. This year will be different as both teams should be pretty good and a good test for each other.

Any word on if spring ball has started for either school and how it's going?

Comment

Originally posted by hoopla4u

Anyone got any history as to the last SDSU victory in Fargo?
                Looking at my program from last year's game, NDSU has won 20 straight vs. SDSU in Fargo. SDSU's last victory was a 17-6 win in 1962.

Coach Bohl had to assemble a staff very quickly last year, as he was hired in March. Bohl knew that some of the coaches would be short-term, but he needed to fill out a staff with qualified coaches to turn the program around from the only losing season(2-8 ) since 1975 (2-7). I feel the new coaches will be every bit as good as the ones they replaced. Losing Bison coaches is nothing new- the 80's saw three different head coaches (Morton, Solomonson, and Hager) with plenty of success.

It definitely should be a better game this year, especially if the SDSU team that should have beat UND shows up.

Comment

Bisonguy,

You are so right. We should have beat UND and WSU (both playoff teams). The only game that I thought we got out played in was at your place in Fargo and even then we had our chances.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
                    It definitely should be a better game this year, especially if the SDSU team that should have beat UND shows up.
                    Unless the NDSU team that should have beat UND shows up as well.

Comment

The last game I attended in Fargo was in 1998. We had a chance to win with a field goal in the last minute but it was so damn loud > in the Fargodome our offensive line was called for 2 or 3 false starts, pushing it back to something like a 55 yard field goal. Hard to put into words how sweet it would be to win up there. Should be a great game this year. SDSU returns a solid core of linebackers and sounds like the defense should continue to improve. I guess the big question mark will be our offensive line. Wide recievers, quarterback and running back all return and are solid.

Comment

How is the D Line looking? After looking at last year's two-deep from the NDSU/SDSU game program, it appears the Jacks lost three starting DL from last year's team.

Comment

bring on a plate of Bison??? I didnt know rurbits had a taste for Buffalo wings
                          Georgia Southern Football - Out weighed, but seldom outplayed
                          www.gsufans.com

Comment

Working...
                          X