SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Ok Guy's I'm going to reposts something I posted over to the media blog in Fargo. Does anyone else feel the same as I do on this. Here's my post. I'll look for your comments or replies agree or disagree is fine but address some of the questions I bring up and if you think I'm right or wrong. This is basically from either NDSU or SDSU's perspective at least IMHO. Here's my post.

Couple points/questions from what I understand as was reported in the 6 pm sports. Why should we be required as part of membership to pay these teams travel expenses? If they don't take us and have to schedule OOC games where ever they happen to be they will have travel expenses anyway whether they are as much or less then they would be if they had to travel to Fargo is not our concern IMHO. Are they going to beg some other university to pay there way or part of it for an OOC game? Second question is has this been done in or to any other university by a conference in FCS? Seems like they are running a conference on the cheap if they can't come up with travel expenses.

What are the comparative costs if we were to stay in the GWFC, having to travel out to California once a year, and possibly whatever other university out west may join in the future to travel there as opposed to paying some kind of fee for these schools to come out and play us. Maybe I'm wrong for saying this but I'd be dam embarrassed if I was from one of those schools in the conference and said the only way we can come and play is if you pay our way or part of it? What kind of program are they running? As important as the Autobid is I'm really skeptical of getting involved with a conference with universities which need others to pay for them to travel to play them. The luster of the Gateway is fading in my eyes if the only way we can get in is basically to pay there travel expenses to come here to play. We have to pay the same expenses when we travel. Who's going to pay us in the conference? My guess would be nobody.

Comment

Agree with you completely. I'd rather stay in the GWFC than agree to that kind of shakedown. If you could get the UxD's, San Diego, and Sacto in there you'd have a very viable conference. And you wouldn't have to put up with the whining of Missouri State.

Comment

I agree with the possible travel subsidy being totally ridiculous. The Gateway has turned out to be the whiners I never thought they would be. I think it is a very vocal minority making the fuss. The Gateway, in my mind, is still more attractive then anything the GWFC could do.

Comment

Agree with you completely. I'd rather stay in the GWFC than agree to that kind of shakedown. If you could get the UxD's, San Diego, and Sacto in there you'd have a very viable conference. And you wouldn't have to put up with the whining of Missouri State.
          Viable? I would not trade playing Youngstown State and UNI every year for another long trip to California to play San Diego, which is non-schollie at this point and Sac. St. Seriously, other than the Uxds what makes that look good?

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
            I agree with the possible travel subsidy being totally ridiculous. The Gateway has turned out to be the whiners I never thought they would be. I think it is a very vocal minority making the fuss. The Gateway, in my mind, is still more attractive then anything the GWFC could do.
            Will you feel so strongly in a few years if a couple of the bottom feeders drop out and were still stuck with our initial agreement about paying schools travel or at least part of it to come and play us? How will you guys feel about having to pay UNI to come to Brookings to play? I've done about a complete 180 on this from this morning. If we have to pay any of there travel to come out here then I say keep your conference and it's bottom dwellers we've been down this road before. I'm just suprised they didn't have someone at the door to the meetings on the floor with a guitar case open and dark sunglasses on with a sign on him that said will work for food. Oh wait, those people were already probably in the kitchen washing dishes to pay off the food bill. Sorry guys for the Sarcasm but this whole development just irks the hell out of me. I see it as nothing more then extortion. I hope we don't fall for it, unfortunately on the 10pm sports our president was interviewed and he proudly admitted to offering some kind of travel help. My first big thumbs down for a guy who's otherwise done a marvelous job. I think maybe the strain is wearing on them a little too much.
            Completely disappointed is all I can say.

Comment

Agree with you completely.  I'd rather stay in the GWFC than agree to that kind of shakedown.  If you could get the UxD's, San Diego, and Sacto in there you'd have a very viable conference.  And you wouldn't have to put up with the whining of Missouri State.
              Viable? I would not trade playing Youngstown State and UNI every year for another long trip to California to play San Diego, which is non-schollie at this point and Sac. St. Seriously, other than the Uxds what makes that look good?
              Youngstown has a good chance of jumping to the FBS.  So does Ill. State and Southern Ill.  Indy State may drop football completely. Cal Poly and Southern Utah have no plans of moving up to the FBS and if UC Davis does they are at least 10 years or more away from making the move if at all.  I do not think that Sac State is one of the schools that the GWFC is talking to.  I think that you need to look at a few schools north of the California bordrer.

Comment

Slo-Stang,
                I am now pretty much in the camp of lets stay in the GWFC. If it weren't for the travel subsidy the want to extort I wouldn't feel that way but in my eyes they are asking us to pay for something every other team in FCS has to pay for themselves. So why should we or they be any different? Looks like the Gateway should really be more like living under the Gateway in a cardboard box. I still can't believe they asked for it. Even worse I can't believe our guys went along with it. >

Comment

I think some of you have to take a deep breath and count to 10.  At meetings such as the one held today, the participants have to be able to ask just about any question that jumps into their heads.  That means some of the questions will not be carefully thought out and planned and some will come from outer space and mean nothing.  It's possible someone had some marching orders from back home to ask (you know how it works, it's the old "what can it hurt to ask"?).  We have to assume the people running the schools and their athletic departments are bright, reasonable people and they're going to carefully deliberate -- as they should -- in an effort to do the right thing.  

Of course, defining the "right thing" is the trick.  The Jacks and Bison think the right thing is obvious:  give us the invite.    

Surely the Gateway must want its stature increased.  At the same time, it's a little scarey for a couple of the schools to think the newcomers might kick their butts.  The first time SDSU or NDSU shows up in their backyard, if they handle it right, they'll have a big crowd on hand to see if these guys from the wild west are as tough as they think they are.  Planned right: money in the bank.

I can only speculate like everyone else on this message board.  I think the Gateway Presidents will realize adding NDSU and SDSU is a vote for long-term stability.  My guess is there are people associated with UNI who remember the old days -- they know us and will speak highly of us.  My speculation is that after careful consideration (yeah, that means going home and sleeping on it), the Presidents will have a telephone conference call by Wednesday morning and take a vote.  Then, they'll contact NDSU and SDSU to announce the positive results.  The Jacks and Bison will make the courtesy call to their friends in the GWFC and formal press conferences will be scheduled for Thursday or Friday.  

Don't get cold feet and start saying negative things about the Gateway!!  And keep in mind that even if the vote is "no", we remain in the surprising GWFC with class schools run by classy people, supported by some of the greatest fans we'll yell against (slostang is a good example). I hope our OOC games each year include at least one game with either Poly or Davis.

Comment

Bisonbacker I agree

We maybe better off where we are at for the time being. I feel that the Gateway teams feel we are desprite and will be ready to take any deal they offer (good, bad , or ugly).

Mid-Co, GWFC and our wrestling conference is a good home for now. Things will open up down the road.

Comment

Whoa, slow down. If getting an invite to the Gateway comes down to pay outs then of course the Gateway can take a hike, but right now it's not even a hundred percent sure that travel subsidies are even an issue. As for the future of any of teams in either conference, everything is pretty hypothetical and speculative. Youngstown may move up, so too Davis, NDSU for that matter has floated that out there. The Illinois schools seem to be the ultimate long shot for moving up. Your mention of it is the first and only I've heard of it, where would they go? Again, purely speculative. The Gateway, without the subsidies, is still the best option IMHO.

Comment

If Gateway says "no thanks", then I'm all for committing to the GWFC and making it remain the best FCS conference in the country.

But I think the Gateway is the best choice for us right now.

Comment

JackJD, Points well taken and I don't disagree with you about "asking can't hurt all they can say is no" but I'm totally disappointed in the fact that we didn't say no. You even go on to prove my point. They will get paid back in the fact that if the fans of those schools like to see quality competition they will fill the stands when they play us. Is that not how every university fund's or at least in part the Athletic department? Football is king at most universities and the revenue's generated by it pay the bills. NDSU and SDSU will fill the stands at those schools when they play us. So why should we be expected to basically give them a bonus by paying travel fee's or part of them when they come to play us? I'd like that answer.

Comment

Whoa, slow down. If getting an invite to the Gateway comes down to pay outs then of course the Gateway can take a hike, but right now it's not even a hundred percent sure that travel subsidies are even an issue. As for the future of any of teams in either conference, everything is pretty hypothetical and speculative. Youngstown may move up, so too Davis, NDSU for that matter has floated that out there. The Illinois schools seem to be the ultimate long shot for moving up. Your mention of it is the first and only I've heard of it, where would they go? Again, purely speculative. The Gateway, without the subsidies, is still the best option IMHO.
                            Won't disagree with that last part but that isn't what's being reported. Joe Chapman when interviewed said we NDSU/SDSU would be willing to help with travel. Steve Hallstrom on the bison media blog (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia...&blog=6426) has said the extra incentive or help in travel would be in the form of a higher entrance fee to the conference. It's not just speculation its fact it was talked about and is part of the negotiations.

Comment

BisonBacker: We cannot measure how strong was the inquiry about subsidizing travel. It may have been a side-part, afterthought to some more important question. It could have been one of the Presidents simply thinking aloud -- and then himself rejecting the very idea.

I agree with you that the notion of travel subsidies is offensive. All I'm saying is: there may not have been a serious question about it. There may not have been anything for NDSU and SDSU to respond to. And, if it was a serious question, then it's one that may best be left unanswered for a day or two and then a polite "no" be given.

I've been involved in way too many pressure-cooker negotiations sessions to let this type of point be very upsetting. Let's all calm down and wait and see.

And, BisonBacker, I'll join you in loud protest if that is a condition placed on admission. But you know, in the end, the administrations of both NDSU and SDSU have been pretty-darned smart about the whole D-1 move and they've certainly earned my trust and confidence. If they make some sort of business decision to throw a little change on the table to quiet down some of the dissenters, well...let's let them play that hand.

Comment

BisonBacker...just read your most recent post and it appears the request for a subsidy may have been a pretty serious question at least from one of the Presidents. That is offensive. But, I think my last comment is true: the NDSU and SDSU administrations have done quite well so far and I have a lot of trust and confidence in them. Remaining in the GWFC is not a bad result...so, it's all about whether the Gateway is an improvement.

Comment

Working...
                                X