Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Western Illinois

I can recall making two trips to Macomb (1977-1983) when I lived in suburban Chicago and SDSU played Western in football. Seems like we won one of those games and the other one we played them close. Without the question the WNIT has open a number of eyes. Especially those who have encountered SDSU before.

Western Illinois's use of leatherneck has baffled me for a long time. Its also USMC terminology and not sure where it came from. Also Western uses a pugged nose dog as a symbol of being a leather neck. Time to do a google.

I hope SDSU opened some eyes at the Missouri track meet. We can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
      [quote author=jackmd link=1171752576/0#10 date=1172364353][quote author=2002jack link=1171752576/0#8 date=1172363273]Macomb is a lot like Brookings. A small midwest college town of about 20,000 people. The University has an enrollment of about 13,000 with a commuter campus in Moline. It's about an 8.5 hour drive from Brookings and less than a 5 hour drive from KC, and Des Moines. I'm hoping we can get a descent crowd of Jacks fans at the game. Remember the game is on a Thursday night.
      I think my brother and I are going to make the trip, not sure yet depends on my schedule that week.[/quote]

Bring alot of change. Illinois is a toll-booth state and they have alot of them.
      [/quote]

If you are coming from Brookings (at least the way I go From Peoria, IL) you won't have to worry about any toll booths. They are just in Chicago because the city feels the need to pay for everything for all of its residents.

Hope to see some Yellow and Blue in the stands besides me.
      Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
      -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

I and Ozark Jack will be there, I am really looking forward to the start of football season!

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          I and Ozark Jack will be there, I am really looking forward to the start of football season!

Go State!  
          Those of you who are going, where might you be staying. PM me if you are willing. I am still trying to decide. I could clear my schedule and make the trip. My brother is in I just need to say the word. My other brother is in Des Moines and I think we could pit stop at his place on the way there.

I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I plan on being there...Either as a member of the media with the Collegian or as a fan with the Wagners. I think we're leaving Wednesday and staying in Omaha.  Cannot wait Media Day comes really fast as Coach Stig told me last night.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba
              [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1171752576/0#12 date=1172518808][quote author=jackmd link=1171752576/0#10 date=1172364353][quote author=2002jack link=1171752576/0#8 date=1172363273]Macomb is a lot like Brookings.  A small midwest college town of about 20,000 people.  The University has an enrollment of about 13,000 with a commuter campus in Moline.  It's about an 8.5 hour drive from Brookings and less than a 5 hour drive from KC, and Des Moines.   I'm hoping we can get a descent crowd of Jacks fans at the game.  Remember the game is on a Thursday night.
              I think my brother and I are going to make the trip, not sure yet depends on my schedule that week.[/quote]

Bring alot of change.  Illinois is a toll-booth state and they have alot of them.
              [/quote]

If you are coming from Brookings (at least the way I go From Peoria, IL) you won't have to worry about any toll booths. They are just in Chicago because the city feels the need to pay for everything for all of its residents.

Hope to see some Yellow and Blue in the stands besides me.[/quote]

Actually, there are toll booths at every entrance and exit from the state of Illinois if you're using the interstate. Not just in Chicago. The entire state employs a highway system that relies on toll booths as a means of bringing in revinue. Usually, you can bypass tolls if you use the small highways, if that's what you mean.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

[quote author=JimmieTuba link=1171752576/15#16 date=1184211108][quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1171752576/0#12 date=1172518808][quote author=jackmd link=1171752576/0#10 date=1172364353][quote author=2002jack link=1171752576/0#8 date=1172363273]Macomb is a lot like Brookings.  A small midwest college town of about 20,000 people.  The University has an enrollment of about 13,000 with a commuter campus in Moline.  It's about an 8.5 hour drive from Brookings and less than a 5 hour drive from KC, and Des Moines.   I'm hoping we can get a descent crowd of Jacks fans at the game.  Remember the game is on a Thursday night.

Bring alot of change.  Illinois is a toll-booth state and they have alot of them.
                [/quote]

Actually, there are toll booths at every entrance and exit from the state of Illinois if you're using the interstate.  Not just in Chicago.  The entire state employs a highway system that relies on toll booths as a means of bringing in revinue.  Usually, you can bypass tolls if you use the small highways, if that's what you mean.[/quote]

Not true. I just crossed I-80 last night at the Quad Cities. No Toll. If you are going to Macomb from the west you should have nothing to worry about.
                Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

[quote author=JimmieTuba link=1171752576/15#16 date=1184211108][quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1171752576/0#12 date=1172518808][quote author=jackmd link=1171752576/0#10 date=1172364353][quote author=2002jack link=1171752576/0#8 date=1172363273]Macomb is a lot like Brookings. A small midwest college town of about 20,000 people. The University has an enrollment of about 13,000 with a commuter campus in Moline. It's about an 8.5 hour drive from Brookings and less than a 5 hour drive from KC, and Des Moines. I'm hoping we can get a descent crowd of Jacks fans at the game. Remember the game is on a Thursday night.

Bring alot of change. Illinois is a toll-booth state and they have alot of them.
                  [/quote]

Actually, there are toll booths at every entrance and exit from the state of Illinois if you're using the interstate. Not just in Chicago. The entire state employs a highway system that relies on toll booths as a means of bringing in revinue. Usually, you can bypass tolls if you use the small highways, if that's what you mean.[/quote]

Nope. If you enter the state around Chicago you have toll booths. I-80, I-55 and I-88 are the only toll roads in the state and I-80 and I-55 are just went you get close to Chicago. They generate revenue for the city of Chicago and that is about it.

I am from western Iowa and travel to Iowa City to see my friends and catch some Hawk games a lot too. I-74 is completely 'free' as is most of I-55. Even coming in from St. Louis there are no tolls.

My suggestion for those that will pass through SuFu: I-90 to I-35. I-35 to Hwy 18 just south of Mason City. Hwy 18 will turn into Hwy 218 "Avenue of the Saints" (both are 4 lanes all the way) Hwy 218 to I-380 into Iowa City and then I-80 to I-74 just outside of the Quad Cities. Most online maps have you cut across Iowa on I-80 but I feel I-80 dips too far south and that route is just as quick.
                  Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                  -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Actually, there are toll booths at every entrance and exit from the state of Illinois if you're using the interstate.  Not just in Chicago.  The entire state employs a highway system that relies on toll booths as a means of bringing in revinue.  Usually, you can bypass tolls if you use the small highways, if that's what you mean.
                    Legal aide providing your research out sick today MJA?
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

http://www.wiuathletics.com/ViewArti...ATCLID=1139423

Leathernecks to report for 2007 football camp Thursday

MACOMB, Ill. - Summer vacation is nearly over for the 86 football players who have been invited to preseason camp, which opens this week on the campus of Western Illinois University and continues through Aug. 18.

Ninth-year head coach Don Patterson and the Leathernecks will begin preparations for the 2007 season Thursday as players and coaches move into the Olson Conference Center. Thursday and Friday will consist of physical exams and equipment fittings during the day and meetings in the evening. The annual conditioning check will be held Saturday morning, Aug. 4, with the first of 20 official practices scheduled for 3 p.m. that afternoon. . . .

2007 Opener - Thursday, Aug. 30
                      Western will open with a Thursday night home game for the second consecutive season, hosting South Dakota State Aug. 30 at 6:05 p.m. The Leathernecks will put to the test a string of 30 consecutive regular-season non-conference home victories against a Jackrabbits team ranked No. 22 in the preseason College Sporting News poll. (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                        [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1171752576/15#20 date=1185819292]Actually, there are toll booths at every entrance and exit from the state of Illinois if you're using the interstate.  Not just in Chicago.  The entire state employs a highway system that relies on toll booths as a means of bringing in revinue.  Usually, you can bypass tolls if you use the small highways, if that's what you mean.
                        Legal aide providing your research out sick today MJA?[/quote]
                        MJA is likely out sick due to the previous weekend's activities. That is what a little birdie told me anyways

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba
                          [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1171752576/15#20 date=1185819292][quote author=JimmieTuba link=1171752576/15#16 date=1184211108][quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1171752576/0#12 date=1172518808][quote author=jackmd link=1171752576/0#10 date=1172364353][quote author=2002jack link=1171752576/0#8 date=1172363273]Macomb is a lot like Brookings.  A small midwest college town of about 20,000 people.  The University has an enrollment of about 13,000 with a commuter campus in Moline.  It's about an 8.5 hour drive from Brookings and less than a 5 hour drive from KC, and Des Moines.   I'm hoping we can get a descent crowd of Jacks fans at the game.  Remember the game is on a Thursday night.

[/quote]

Actually, there are toll booths at every entrance and exit from the state of Illinois if you're using the interstate.  Not just in Chicago.  The entire state employs a highway system that relies on toll booths as a means of bringing in revinue.  Usually, you can bypass tolls if you use the small highways, if that's what you mean.[/quote]

Nope. If you enter the state around Chicago you have toll booths. I-80, I-55 and I-88 are the only toll roads in the state and I-80 and I-55 are just went you get close to Chicago. They generate revenue for the city of Chicago and that is about it.

I am from western Iowa and travel to Iowa City to see my friends and catch some Hawk games a lot too. I-74 is completely 'free' as is most of I-55. Even coming in from St. Louis there are no tolls.

My suggest for those that will pass through SuFu: I-90 to I-35. I-35 to Hwy 18 just south of Mason City. Hwy 18 will turn into Hwy 218 "Avenue of the Saints" (both are 4 lanes all the way) Hwy 218 to I-380 into Iowa City and then I-80 to I-74 just outside of the Quad Cities. Most online maps have you cut across Iowa on I-80 but I feel I-80 dips too far south and that route is just as quick.[/quote]

Good call on the directions. I've lived in Cedar Rapids and thats the quickest way down there (if your going through Sioux Falls). Watch out for the occasional speed trap on 218 in between Charles City and Waterloo.

Comment

I've gone into and out of Illinois several times on either I-80 at Quad Cities, or I-74 at Danville, or I-40 at St. Louis and I've never paid a toll, and have not even seen a toll booth. Not 10 years ago, and not 3 weeks ago when I was there last.

Comment

The Leathernecks have a pretty good team returning I believe. You better stop the run as they have one of the best running backs in all of FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                                The Leathernecks have a pretty good team returning I believe.  You better stop the run as they have one of the best running backs in all of FCS.  
                                Oh, I like out chances stopping the run. I think our strength will be our D-line and that will allow our LBs and DBs to fill some gaps. If our offense can get us a lead I like our chances.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X