RECRUITING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RECRUITING

The Jacks have a lot of catching up to do with the Bison in terms of Recruiting in Football as the Bison knew this would be their exploratory year and thus were able to communicate this to potential recruits. They were able to score a lot of good high school athletes and Juco college players. I believe the Jacks were able to secure some athletes that they might not have gotten otherwise because of the looming D1 decision but not to the same degree. It should be interesting to see the philosophy of the football coaching staff and where they put emphasis Juco or High School. The Bison have a lot of D1 experience with Bohl and Co. and their Nebraska days. I think on the Basketball side we got four good high school players out of Iowa school that were Borderline D1 based on who showed interest and their basketball resume. I think Nagy and Larson are good recruiters and we will be able to go and get some players from the states they have connections namely Illinois (Nagy) and Larson (Iowa). I think a big difference is our big people will need to be more athletic.

Re: RECRUITING

Has there been any talk of how fast SDSU will fund the full scholarships? I know NDSU wants to fully fund football within 2 years, so there probably will be a LOT more JUCO's coming in the next two years.

Comment

The Carr Report for which I have a copy has recommended adding 4 scholarships each year in the 5 year transistion period so that by the end of the 5 year period you are near 63. Five times 4 equals 20 so we would be only at 56 in five years if we just funded the minimum, but maybe we will be able to step it up.

Carr's numbers are becoming dated as they show 2002-2003 as the first year of transitition which is now 2004-05.

I don't know if these numbers got changed any in the strategic plan, but they may have and been increased hopefully. They have been doing a cash forcast and budget for five years out. I would think we want to be competitive so maybe we will be at 63 when the five year period is completed.

Comment

I have heard that SDSU wants to add 8 a year now instead of the originally thought 4. They want to add 14 as soon as possible for a total of 50. I thought I saw a post on bisonville that if you had 50 you could schedule I-A teams. Does anybody know this rule?

Comment

You have to average 60 scholarships over 3 years to qualify. So the sooner the better.

Comment

A D I school that both of us (SDSU & NDSU) should look at, when the time comes, is Kansas. They usually play one or two I AA a year and they are not that good so we might be able to play with them ( UAB and Sothwest Missouri St have both given them good games recently).

On the flip side K-State also plays a I AA or two every year. The game wouldn't be close, I am affraid, but you have to think that the payday would be better. Just a thought.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
            X