Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubble Mulch-Chuck Cecil- Columist Brooking Reg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubble Mulch-Chuck Cecil- Columist Brooking Reg.

Chuck Cecil Class of 1959 and M.S 1970 at SDSU and an administrative aid to the SDSU President, the Late Hilton M. Briggs, writes a weekly column for the Brookings Register.  Unfortunately his column is not on the internet. I retype his column from my print version of the August 22, 2003 edition of The Brookings Register.

Chuck like myself is over 50 and has been a big proponent for the move to D1. This column is for the nay-sayers

STUBBLE MULCH- AUGUST 20, 2003
    BY Chuck Cecil  

A hotbed for FES recruiting

Recruiters for the Flat Earth Society are coming to Brookings. They believe our “someplace special” town has great potential for membership.

The FES decision was made after the society officials read comments by those who oppose the University’s decision to move to Division I in athletics.

These perpetual nay-sayers  are just the kind of folks the society is looking for.

The Flat Earth Society, as some of you may recall from your history lesson, also kicked and screamed over approval of funds to finance the voyage  in 1492 of the Pinta, the Maria and the Santa Maria.

In fact the FES members became so distraught that they called for the heads of  Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, who financed the journey to the end of the world.  Believe it or not there is some of that going around in Brookings relative to the current situation.

The Society, which remains comfortable with the world as it was 50 years ago when there were only 97 chemical compounds on the element chart has also been against acceptance of every one of the last eight chemicals since they were discovered and added to the  chart.  The new elements were discovered by the way in a Division I school laboratories.  

FES was also against highway maps.

Last Friday morning, South Dakotans were the only citizens of any state that did not have a Division I school.  SDSU was the only Land Grant University not a  Division I member.  By 10:15 a.m. that  morning, we joined the rest of  society.

Interestingly, just a few hours after the  Division I announcement was made, two SDSU basketball greats, Austin Hansen of Valley Springs, and Sherri Brende of Baltic, were married in Baltic.

With the wedding of these two shooting guards, No 10 and No 22, I look for a pretty good  three point  expert to be playing Division One basketball for the Jackrabbits in about twenty or thirty years.

The future of South Dakota State and students not yet born is, what this thing is really all about.

We all need to remember that the university was here and survived changes long before any of us were admiring the skills of the likes of Hansen and Brende on the Frost Arena Basketball court.

I am quite certain the university that belongs to all the South Dakotans , not just Brookingsites, will survive other changes coming down the pike, too.  I guarantee you that SDSU will be here long after we temporary residents are no longer season ticket holders.

So for all the students who in the next century  will come to SDSU,  let’s make our state’s entry into Division I a successful one.

Oh by the way, they’re some Division II news.  Among the  10 new members of the athletic division SDSU just left were four schools from Puerto Rico, plus Goldey-Beacom College, Green Mountain College, Holy Family College, North Greenville College and the University of Sciences in Philadelphia.

Fortunately, despite FES objections, we now have detailed road maps so we’ll all be able to eventually locate just where these obscure Division II  members are located.

I’m pretty sure the last six are all within the confines of  America, which fortunately Christopher Columbus discovered despite efforts to the contrary.

Re: Stubble Mulch-Chuck Cecil- Columist Brooking R

This is OUTSTANDING! It is LOL funny! ;D My hat is off to Chuck. SDSUFAN a big thanks goes out to you for taking the time to type this in.

Go South Dakota State University!

Comment

Fortunately, despite FES objections, we now have detailed road maps so we’ll all be able to eventually locate just where these obscure Division II members are located.
      Is there a road to Puerto Rico?

That's a great article. Hopefully it sinks into the thick skulls of the naysayers in SD.

Comment

Bison Guy:
        Chuck would be chuckling if you asked him in person if there was a road to Puerto Rico. I forgot to mention that Mr. Cecil also owned a group of weekly newspapers in the Brookings area and kept them alive for a number of years. He sold them and since has been writing this column.  He has also just published two local history books about the City of Brookings and County of Brookings based on looking through micro film for wierd and funny happenings.

Comment

That article was awesome. The Argus columnists could learn a thing or two from Chuck Cecil. I beleive he owned or owns the Flandreau paper. I've never met him, but after reading that I'm going to make an effort to do so.

Comment

Texas:
            You are right Chuck did own the Flandreau paper plus the ones in Volga, White and maybe Baltic.  I am sure he keeps in touch with a lot people from those towns, and no doubt that'show he knew about the Brende-Hansen wedding.  That part was so good and if people can't swallow his point there, then there is no hope. Long live the FES.   ;D

Comment

I see many FES members were printed in the Argus Today. Do you think they have meetings there at the newspaper's offices in Sioux Falls?

Go SDSU!

Comment

Working...
              X