Multimillion gift announce (January 2004) in Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multimillion gift announce today in Sioux Fall

The press conference was not front page news in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader, but Chris Solari has a good feature article in the sports section.

SDSU kicks off fund drive
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 1/9/2004

Sid Bostic cemented his place in South Dakota State history with one shot. Now, the former Jackrabbit basketball player is making an equally-big pitch for the university's future.

Thursday, Bostic returned to Sioux Falls to formally begin the school's "Lifelong Champions" fund-raising campaign. Bostic pledged $1 million and also revealed a $2.75 million donation from the estate of Mildred Stoker White.

The fund-raising drive is an integral part of SDSU's move to Division I, with a goal of raising $20 million over five years. Additional funding is required for new scholarships and facility improvements needed to compete at the higher level.

"We've been right at the top of Division II for a long time," said Bostic, volunteer chairman of the effort who made the game-winning, buzzer-beating basket in the 1963 Division II national championship game. "Considering everything, we're ready for this move, and it's very appropriate."

With those announcements and about $700,000 of anonymous and unnamed donations, the school currently has raised more than $6 million. That includes $2 million already in an endowment, Athletic Director Fred Oien said.

Interest from the endowment, not the actual donations, funds the scholarships. Thursday's two major donations will provide about $265,000 annually in revenue.

"This gives us a level source of funding forever, because we don't touch the principal. We're only touching the earnings off the endowment," Oien said.

Bostic, a retired banker and 1964 alumnus, now lives in Rio Verde, Ariz. His gift bears both his name and that of his wife Bonnie, a 1967 SDSU alumna who died in 2000.

"In my mind, it's payback time," Bostic said. "I'd say that the reaction (of prospective donors) has been 95 percent positive. We have a lot of things in the mill right now that I am very confident that are going to come to fruition in terms of additional money that is going to come in."

White was born in Sioux Falls and graduated from Washington High in 1930. She made her first donations to SDSU in the 1990s to honor her husband Roger White, who attended the university for 12 weeks in 1929 before the Great Depression ended his formal education.

Roger White, a 1929 Washington High grad, went on to start his own furniture company in Illinois and died in 1972. Mildred White died in March 2002. She previously had donated more than $600,000 to SDSU and even has an athletic scholarship named after her dog, Dakotah.

White's generosity was sparked by a Sioux proverb her mother taught her while growing up in Sioux Falls.

"That was, ÔNothing can enter a clenched fist,' " said V.J. Smith, executive director of the SDSU Alumni Association. "If you want to receive in life, you must first learn how to give, because truly whatever goes out of your hand comes back to your hand. And she learned that lesson well."

Keith Mahlum, the school's athletic director for external affairs and major gifts, said White's donation will fund 12 full scholarships annually. SDSU has received $2 million of it already, with the remainder arriving once her estate closes.

"The long-term strategy here is that every athletic scholarship is funded from this kind of a source," Oien said.

April is goal to have conference in place

South Dakota State athletic director Fred Oien and four other university officials left Thursday for the NCAA Convention in Nashville, Tenn.

They will take part in a training session for schools in the first year of the transition to Division I, and Oien also may talk with other athletic directors who hope to form a new Division I-AA football conference.

Schools discussing the conference are SDSU, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, California-Davis, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo and St. Mary's (Calif.).

Gene Taylor, athletic director at NDSU, said no formal meetings are planned between the schools, since it's likely that only four of the universities will have representatives in Nashville. The convention ends Monday.

Though no agreement has been finalized, April is the target month to have everything in place for the yet-to-be-named league. That's when the NCAA Division I Membership Committee meets to review applications.

"If we run into one another, since not everyone's going to be there, we'll catch up and see if anybody has questions," Taylor said. "We're still talking."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.
    Copyright 2003 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

USA Today | USA Weekend | Gannett Co. Inc. | Gannett Foundation | PheasantCountry.com

Comment

Congratulations!!! Great news for the Jacks!!.

Comment

From what I understand in talking to my friends in the Athletic Department, some of their biggest gifts come from people who started out giving $25 to $50 per year. Evey person who gifts a gift, no matter the amount, should feel good that they are "going above and beyond" to help. Many people feel their support comes through their ticket purchase. So, a person who gives a gift in addition to the ticket price is doing a great service to SDSU.

A few years ago I read a story about a woman who worked in the Athletic Office of I believe the University of Utah. Maybe it was Idaho. Anyway, she won an 86 million dollar lottery. Guess who the second big winner of that deal was? Yup, that athletic department.

It is just heartening that so many people give extra money to help the Jacks. We are the envy of SD.

Comment

Here is the Register's take:

Donors support D-I move: University receives gifts totaling nearly $4.5 million

By John Andrews

South Dakota State University got a shot in the arm in terms of fund-raising Thursday as officials announced they have secured $4.42 million to be used for athletic scholarships as the university moves into Division I.
          The bulk of that sum, $2.75 million, comes from the estate of Mildred Stoker White, an Illinois woman who died in 2002. SDSU alumnus Sid Bostic has pledged another $1 million. The remainder comes from various anonymous donors.
          The money will go towards the "Lifelong Champions Campaign," launched to help move SDSU into Division I beginning next year. Bostic, a retired banker now living in Rio Verde, Ariz., serves as the volunteer chairman for the campaign.
          "This isn't going to change the values that we've had at South Dakota State University and, on a broader base, in South Dakota," Bostic said at a Sioux Falls press conference. "We will still have student-centered athletes with high graduation rates and good values. And we're not going to go all over the world recruiting athletes. We'll primarily recruit from the same area as we did before with a little expansion, perhaps."
          White, a native of Sioux Falls, never attended SDSU. But her husband, Roger, did — for 12 weeks in 1929. He ran on the track team during his stay, which was cut short because of the stock market crash and the ensuing Depression. He eventually went to work for Montgomery Ward, and in 1955, the Whites began their own furniture company in Pontiac, Ill. Roger White died in 1972.
          Twenty years later, V.J. Smith, who was working in the SDSU athletic department, got a call from Mildred White. She wanted to fund a scholarship in memory of her late husband. She sent the university a check for $40,000.
          "We didn't find Mildred White," said Smith, who currently serves as the executive director of the SDSU Alumni Association. "Mildred found us."
          Over the next 10 years, White continued to donate money to the university, and each year, the amount got a little larger. Eventually, SDSU had scholarships for Roger, Mildred, Mildred's brother (Melvin Stoker) and her sister (Jennie Stoker Helwig). And she even had one named for her dog.
          "You go to the athletic department right now, and it lists all the perpetual scholarships," Smith said. "Right there in the center, it has the name Dakotah, because that was the name of her dachshund."
          In all, White donated more than $3.5 million to SDSU. The university has already received $2 million of her final gift, with the remaining amount to come when her estate is officially closed.
          "For some time, we had known that SDSU was to be a significant part of Mildred's estate plans. She told us," Smith said. "But Mildred was intensely private as to her net worth. Frankly, we were ecstatic for all she had done for us, and would have been eternally grateful if she had done nothing more."
          White's gift will provide 12 full scholarships annually, the first of which will be distributed for the fall 2004 term.
          Bostic is most famously known among the SDSU family as the man who sank the game-winning shot to give the SDSU men's basketball team the 1963 NCAA Division II national championship. Now, he's trying to be the man who raises a significant sum of money for SDSU over the next five years.
          He called the Lifelong Champions Campaign a two-pronged campaign. The first priority is to raise $20 million in endowment money, the earnings from which will be used to fund scholarships. Secondly, officials hope to generate at least $700,000 annually to provide student-athletes with scholarships. He said the drive is off to a good start.
          "I think there will be other good announcements coming very soon relative to the financial piece of this campaign," Bostic said.

Comment

Re: Multimillion gift announce today in Sioux Falls

Does anyone know the status of this campaign? The article said Bostic wanted to raise 20 million in five years. Its been more than five years.

Comment

Didn't this get swept into the big "It Starts With State" campaign?
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Don't know where it got swept to. I was hoping it wasn't under a rug. I just wanted to know the progress to date. Over five years ago some great intentions were stated and its past their self imposed deadline. I'm curious about how far they've come.

Comment

I believe the part not raised at the start of the current campaign was dove tailed into the current campaign " It begins with State." When the current campaign was announced I was pleasantly surprised about the amount to be raised for Athletics. The Visons campaign in the early 1990's did not have much except for the Wellness Center and the East side of CAS. I am sure Jack #! Fan can elborate more on this subject.

Comment

Re: Multimillion gift announce (January 2004) in Sioux Falls

Changed thread title.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I noted 89rabbit's reference (in another thread) to bringing up an old thread(s) and making light of it. Here's my take as an alum, longtime financial supporter and season ticket holder - the athletic department made a big deal out of announcing, in a very public way, that they were undertaking an aggressive fund raising campaign. Since then we have heard nothing. Every fundraising campaign I know of (United Way, SDSU Foundation, etc.) has given periodic updates on progress, especially at the conclusion of the campaign. I don't think its to much to ask that we hear the results, good or bad. I just want to know how they are doing about something they said they were going to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                        I noted 89rabbit's reference (in another thread) to bringing up an old thread(s) and making light of it. Here's my take as an alum, longtime financial supporter and season ticket holder - the athletic department made a big deal out of announcing, in a very public way, that they were undertaking an aggressive fund raising campaign. Since then we have heard nothing. Every fundraising campaign I know of (United Way, SDSU Foundation, etc.) has given periodic updates on progress, especially at the conclusion of the campaign. I don't think its to much to ask that we hear the results, good or bad. I just want to know how they are doing about something they said they were going to do.
                        Simple solution: Pick up the phone, call the athletic department, and ask THEM.

Comment

It was a $20 million goal campaign. It didn't make its goal, before the new overall campaign was started, and so it got folded over into the $190 million campaign. I believe there may be several major gifts for capital ventures out there that may see fruition in the next few years, but are not fully decided and not public. I'm not sure what is out there in regards to growing the endowments. Check back again in a couple of years.

Comment

Cowbell,
                            You are correct that there hadn't been any public announcements recently, but I believe those ended when it was folded into the overall campaign. When it was still on its own, I heard reports from the foundation, the athletic dept, and the president's office regarding the drive. Since it is not in play anymore, not sure why they would talk about.

IIRC, the Foundation announced at the last SES luncheon they are past the half way mark dollar wise on the overall campaign, which is ahead of where they planned to be at this time.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I can understand the silence from the SDSU Foundation position, especially with individuals who have resources to donate. No matter who the benefiicary is, you advertize your intend only when you want to aggravate some one who thinks they are part of the estate plans when they are not.

My experience with the SDSU Foundation is that they have been very discrete and I am just a small donor compared to some of the potential big gifts that may be out there.

I question how much effectiveness progress reports would have been when the progress was slow. We(SDSU Community) open ourselves up to critics when we have less than positive results to report. Especially with the reclassification to D1, it was not a popular move as we should all recall.

Jack#1Fan has a life-time career in the inter circle of SDSU happenings so I trust very much what he is telling us and understandablely knows a great deal more than what he has said on this board.

Small gifts count too, so do not be overly concern about SDSU receiving large gifts. We got people working on these things and they will happen.

Comment

Just to clarify I have no problem with people bringing back old threads, I just thought it was interesting that on the same day several threads were resurrected.

Without even looking at the date I knew that they were old because I was still living in Kansas City when I contributed to them and I was still the moderator of the board. I just celebrated my 2 year anniversary of being back in Brookings so those threads seem like ancient history to me that was my only point (plus I just enjoyed making a Rocky and Bullwinkle reference, you don’t get to do that everyday). In the words of filbert "play on".

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X