Facilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Facilities

To go along with the previous few posts, On the reserved side -upper deck there are those two rooms that are on both sides of reserved seating-what are they used for ? Could they ever be converted to viewing rooms or suites that would hold 25-30 people, just a crazy thought?!

Comment

I was also re-looking at the Univ. of Washington Arena, they have no sections that are dedicated to Students. All the good seats are Donor seats.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
        From what I'm hearing their has been demand for Season Tickets and particualry for seats in the lower bowl. I'm sure the students will adapt as this transition becomes more or a business in DI.
        I'm sure the students will adapt just fine. Having them moved the ends could be and advantage as well, especially when the other team is shooting free throws. There is definately a bright future for Jacks basketball, I just wish we were DI already.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          I was also re-looking at the Univ. of Washington Arena, they have no sections that are dedicated to Students.  All the good seats are Donor seats.

Go State!
          The students get one side of the court like SDSU has now. Sections 1, 2, and 14 are the student sections.

Comment

You are right, I stand corrected. :-[

Go Jacks!

Comment

To go along with the previous few posts, On the reserved side -upper deck there are those two rooms that are on both sides of reserved seating-what are they used for ? Could they ever be converted to viewing rooms or suites that would hold 25-30 people, just a crazy thought?!
              Great idea, but any renovations to those rooms would require major work because of handicap accessability issues. Those rooms are currently a fitness room and office space for graduate assistants (which leads to the press box). The fitness room would be a great suite if not for ADA requirements.

From my understanding the students will keep the southside behind the benches and chairback seats would go on the ends behind the baskets. The administration always said they would NOT take seats away from the students again.

In regard to the open corners on the upper level, fire codes, building codes, etc. would keep these from being filled in. There was some talk of putting chairback seats on the upper southside and leaving the upper ends as bleachers. Yes, this would decrease attendance, but would also add a more potential revenue. The good thing about taking some seats out is that it could develop a better atmosphere with less people being needed to fill Frost.

Comment

It is my understanding that new bleachers for students is being discussed. There is no way the students will be removed from courtside. Afterall, students are why the university exists in the first place. Plus, their students fees put over a million dollars into the athletic program each year.

There has been a great deal of discussion about putting chair back seating under the baskets. If they do put that type of seating in those areas, I hope there is consideration as to where to put the pep band. Frost Arena is a dead place without that pep band.

One other thing will happen if they put the chair backs under the baskets. That being, many (and I mean MANY) of the fans who have been sitting under the baskets for years will become unglued. I don't think this should stop the department from putting in the chairs, it will just be another time the athletic folks will catch hell from the public. Have you ever noticed how many people get upset because they think they have a right to sit in a certain area. I'm convinced a person's ego must be located in their posteriors.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy

One other thing will happen if they put the chair backs under the baskets.  That being, many (and I mean MANY) of the fans who have been sitting under the baskets for years will become unglued.  I don't think this should stop the department from putting in the chairs, it will just be another time the athletic folks will catch hell from the public.  Have you ever noticed how many people get upset because they think they have a right to sit in a certain area.  I'm convinced a person's ego must be located in their posteriors.
                  Yes its like all the local and regional SDSU fans and alums were Lutheran, as they really become glued to tradition such as a certain seating area. For those non-Lutherans, I am one and boy do we respect tradition in all forms good and bad.  Its going to be  like "how dare you take my pew for worship". when some of these fans find this out.

One thing I noticed about U of Nebraska Lincoln was that  when Bill Bryne became  AD, he started asking those people who had 50 yard line season tickets for contributions.  Some of these fans had had tickets since the 1940's and through the 1950's when Nebraska stunk as a football program.  They too became traditional bound. These contributions have gone up over the years since Bill came and went last year. To get 50 yard tickets for the 2004 season it would cost a bunch in contributions.  It might be easier to catch a scalper on the way in.

Bob Devaney, Byrnes precessor was a horrible AD but a great coach.  He was good to eveyone who came to the games and never saw the revenue potential in seating priorities.

I see the firing of Solich as being tied to Devaney, because he let all his assistants hang on until they were 85 and some were just figure heads, and those lower paid and grad assistants worked their tails off.  
                  Devaney never had the courage to fire any one either.

An AD has to have courage and I dont think we dont have that problem at SDSU.

After Bryne started doing the purdent thing of asking for contributions, he got the nickname "Dollar Bill" from all the cheap skates.  By virtue of having your butt in the seat does not make you a true supporter of the program.  YOU GOT TO DO MORE THAN THAT.

SDSU is in a comparable situation and I suspect Fred is going to have courage to ask for contributions and those who have been stingy in the past are going to find themselves in the nosebleed seats or staying home. With our basketball program, its the best thing that could happen.  Its much more than just buying a season ticket.

Comment

The students need and will get new bleachers. Those on the south side are in such poor shape that it's only a matter of time before there is a total collapse during a big game.

Discussions I heard from putting chairbacks on the lower ends will keep the band in place. The athletic department realizes the importance of having the pep band located where it's at. While this would limit the number of seats available for sale, it's a small price to pay for having the band stay put.

For those that aren't familiar, basketball season tickets are already tied to donations. Any new chairbacks would be as well. There is a Priorty Point System in place so that you earn points based on dollars donated to the Jackrabbit Club and years of owning basketball season tickets. The more money and longer you purchase season ticket the better your seats will get (in theory). While a lot of those people who "own" seats in the bleachers now will be displaced, they will also have an opportunity to get a more comfortable chairback seat. One thing that will help the athletic department on the ends is the ability to handle more corporate sponsors. I know the last couple of years they've had to rope off the ends opposite the band because of the high demand for corporate seats during the USD game. While this made quite a few people unhappy, I'm sure the return from the sponsors made up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll_Guy

For those that aren't familiar, basketball season tickets are already tied to donations. Any new chairbacks would be as well.  There is a Priorty Point System in place so that you earn points based on dollars donated to the Jackrabbit Club and years of owning basketball season tickets. The more money and longer you purchase season ticket the better your seats will get (in theory).  While a lot of those people who "own" seats in the bleachers now will be displaced, they will also have an opportunity to get a more comfortable chairback seat.  One thing that will help the athletic department on the ends is the ability to handle more corporate sponsors. I know the last couple of years they've had to rope off the ends opposite the band because of the high demand for corporate seats during the USD game. While this made quite a few people unhappy, I'm sure the return from the sponsors made up for it.
                      I am well aware of the points system. In fact I have not seen a point sheet from HPER for about 2 or 3 years.  As Alumguy said, there are people who are going to be unglued, and these people have avoided the point system for years too.  The end under basketball section gave refuge to those who dont buy season tickets nor did they give to the Jackrabbit Club.  This is what the anger is going to be about. I think the ticket manager will earn his/her keep next fall when filling the ticket orders. ;D.

I dont have a problem with seating system except that the IRS will technically allow only a 80% deduction on Schedule A for donations when the taxpayer receives something of value. IE, PARKING AND SEATING PREFERENCE and not much else recently.  I talked to Fred about this several times, but he is not congress and not much can be done about it. I even suggested that SDSU build its own model of value, but the IRS will not allow that.

The 20 percent value guideline seems appropriate if you give only 100 to 500 bucks a year. The more you give the bigger the bite which is not equal to the benefits of value that I supposely receive from HPER.

Comment

The students will get new blue bleachers on the south side. The ends will get high back seats that will fan out on the ends that will create a bowel in the lower section. Should have a great look.

Comment

I think you mean "bowl" not "bowel", but otherwise that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Are there pictures/sketches/drawings available somewhere?

I'd like to see them do the same thing with the upper level bleachers (when they convert them to backed seats of course :-) ...fan out the ends on the SE and SW sides to just have a straight corredor between the stands to those corner exits.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm sure the athletic dept has renderings. My understanding is they will begin work on this project in April. I think they should post this the rendering on the Jackrabbit website. I think it will be a real positive for fans to see changes when we return to the sports venues next fall and go through our transition.

Comment

Let's be candid about the move to Division I. It is going to cost more money ... A LOT more money. And, the state of SD has said it will not provide more money. The SDSU administration has said it will not ask students to give more money to this effort. That means the money will have to come from the hope of increased ticket sales, donations, and corporate support.

There have been several postings about the need for a Wellness Center, locker rooms for football, a better appearance for Coughlin Alumni Stadium, improvements in seating in Frost Arena, and a new baseball field. All of those would be welcome additions to the campus. But, they all have a price tag. A Wellness Center will be built. Students need to kick in more money if they want a quality facility. I would hope the university doesn't just "settle" for a facility that will be outdated the day it opens.

With respect to a baseball field, I can't see it happening unless a big donor puts up a field. There just isn't any money around to put up a good facility and then taking care of it 7 months out of a year.

The reality is that the jump to Division I will require a lot more money for scholarships and a lot more money for travel. Those will be the greatest priorities.

The seating in Frost Arena is the only proven method to generate ticket revenue and donations. Even with that, the athletic department will have to take out a loan to purchase the seats and will have to pay off the loan before a lot more money is generated for the athletic program.

It is my understanding that Sid Bostic (with the support of Keith Mahlum) is lending a hand to raise big dollars for the athletic program. Sid has many, many connections and very well respected. If SDSU is to make a successful transition to Division I, this effort is critical. Gifts of $100 and $500 are great, but the six and seven figure gifts are the key to our future.

Comment

I agree, and I know the University and City are working closer then ever so as not to duplicate efforts. BHS plays at Coughlin-Alumni and does some things at the PAC. SDSU uses Bob Sheldon for Baseball, the City's tennis courts, and soccer fields. That makes sense to me.

My understanding is Sid has been asked to raise 6-7 million dollars for the athletic dept. and I am sure he will do a great job. I am all for our move to D-I and I am all for doing what we need to do to be succesful at it. Go SDSU!

Comment

Working...
                                X