BEST story EVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST story EVER

Chris Solari, just wrote the BEST story ever about our move to D-I! It is a must read for all the FES people out there. Way to go Chris! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Saturdayfeature.shtml

Welcome to a brand-new world, SDSU
    Chris Solari
    Argus Leader

published: 7/3/2004

Move to higher class should help state get noticed more

I ate a decent sandwich at Subway in Brookings earlier this week. A 6-inch turkey sub on Monterey Cheddar bread, garnished with a smattering of pickles, lettuce and grated Parmesan cheese, topped off with a dollop of vinegar and oil.

I guess it was an adequate lunch. Solid, standard fare. Certainly not what I would call a Division I meal, though.

Of course, Subway is a non-threatening, familiar restaurant wherever you go. That comfort is what keeps people coming back.

In that respect, Brookings didn't look any different Wednesday than it did Thursday despite gearing up for its 125th birthday celebration this weekend. The beers at Jim's Tap and Cubby's didn't get any colder, the grub at Nick's Hamburger Shop and The Ram didn't get any tastier. Most everything stayed the same.

Yet there did seem to be a new buzz around town. Nick's was especially crowded. Downtown parking spots were crammed. Frost Arena was filled with young girls dribbling and shooting at a summer basketball camp.

That last spot was the epicenter of this vibe. Those kids were playing basketball on the campus of the first Division I school ever in South Dakota. Those girls' futures are some of the main reasons for the move.

If you believe Darwin, South Dakota State's official move to Division I on Thursday is akin to humans beginning to walk upright. And I'm pretty sure modern man had more than his share of stumbles between his initial steps and first marathon.

Tuesday held a little of both around Brookings. Football player Anthony Robinson was arraigned for allegedly being caught with 14 pounds of marijuana that he intended to sell. Across town on campus, the Jackrabbit family was planning a news conference to trumpet the hiring of Olympian Rod DeHaven as the new cross country and track coach.

On the eve of the move to Division I, those two things are as big-time as you can get - hiring a coach with experience at the highest levels, and having an athlete busted for allegedly doling out a lot of highs.

Many inside the state don't realize the difference between Division I and II, but the rest of the country does. Stray from the bounds of the North Central Conference, still among the pinnacle of Division II leagues, and you'll find that few casual sports fans know - or care - about D-II. It says a lot that South Dakota was the only state in the U.S. without a Division I program until this week.

And it's a pretty certain statement those same fans don't know about South Dakota State. Yet. What the move to Division I will do, though, is increase the visibility of both SDSU and the entire state. There is no reason that the other schools in lesser divisions - D-II and NAIA - shouldn't reap benefits from having the state known nationally for something other than Tom Daschle, Mount Rushmore and Sturgis.

For area fans, it just adds a new attraction. There may come a day when sports nuts here will have to choose between going to an Augustana-University of South Dakota men's basketball game in Sioux Falls, or making a trip north to see the Jackrabbits play someone such as Iowa or Kansas. Options for entertainment are never bad.

And neither are options for food. The next time I'm in Brookings, I think I'll try to find the best prime rib in town. Because nothing, to me, says Division I like a juicy steak. . . .

My favorite lines were "Many inside the state don't realize the difference between Division I and II, but the rest of the country does. Stray from the bounds of the North Central Conference, still among the pinnacle of Division II leagues, and you'll find that few casual sports fans know - or care - about D-II. It says a lot that South Dakota was the only state in the U.S. without a Division I program until this week." and "There may come a day when sports nuts here will have to choose between going to an Augustana-University of South Dakota men's basketball game in Sioux Falls, or making a trip north to see the Jackrabbits play someone such as Iowa or Kansas.". Great press for our move to D-I! 8)

Go State! ;D

Re: BEST story EVER

good article- it's nice to see people realizing this is in the best interest for the state of SD and SDSU.

Comment

I know many were off for the Independence Day holiday, and may have missed this great story by Chris, so I thought I would bring it back to the top. For those who have not had a chance to read it.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Yes this was a very good article and I think WSN  also gave SDSU good publicty last week.  However WSN did not ignore the Robinson story, but I think Sioux Falls is starting to come around.

While driving back yesterday, I had KSOO on the radio and the VPU (View Point University) talk show on. Rick Knobe is a former mayor of Sioux Falls and they were talking about SDSU Ice Cream and where they could buy it. Knobe is orignally from Chicago and hardly knows his way out of Sioux Falls, and really has had little to say about SDSU one way or another. In fact both him and Randy McDaniel the other hosts have taken pokes at SDSU for going D1.  

At any rate Rick likes strawberry ice cream and first tasted the SDSU ice cream at the Dakota Fest in Mitchell and now he is hooked he said.  I guess if we can't win with facts, maybe we can win with good ice cream. ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
        X