• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND and the Big Sky

Here is my favorite line from the Forum story:

http://in-forum.com/articles/index.c...section=Sports

UND expresses interest in Big Sky
    By Heath Hotzler and Jeff Kolpack,The Forum

"There is no commitment in any way, shape or form," Thomas said. "They asked if we would be interested if they were ever thinking of expansion and if, after studying this, there was any movement on UND's part.

"We said 'yes, of course,' in that sense." . . .

That is what the Big Sky Presidents are looking for, an absolute positive maybe. :

Go State! ;D

Comment

What do you expect from a school that had a press conference to announce that they were not moving to DI, and another press conference to state they were not playing NDSU? :

Comment

Have Thomas and Kupchella had psychiatric evaluations? Dr. Oien has and apparently he passed. The former two both seem a little scattered and tangential if not downright delusional or, dare I say, psychotic. Not sure the NCC wants Thomas Roger ;D.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJack

Didn't UNC for the most part put the cart before the horse and make their official move without doing in depth studies like SDSU and NDSU?  I would assume UND would prefer to follow the lead of the two SU's and actually have some research behind their decision, but UNC has proven a school can jump without really looking.
          UNC plan is hard to follow that is if there is a plan, but the thing to remember is a Coors family member and a Monfort family member are on the board of trustees that govern UNC.  The deep pockets are there, but whether they dug into those pockets, it does not seem to be a public matter.  

As far as I know UNC is doing okay, but the vistor side of Nottingham Field was still underconstruction on Nov 20 so they are expanding their seating for football.  Butler-Hancock is about the size of Sapp Fieldhouse at UNO and there needs to be a hundred improvements needed here.  Maybe they have a plan that we dont know about, I would think so.

As far SDSU, there is no way they could have made the move without the Carr and marketing studies. I would think this would be true for UND.  Englestad has given at the office and there is not much more to be milked from that cow. It boils down to finding the average Fighting Sioux Alum and asking for cash.

Comment

The most important part of the Fargo Forum article is the list of schools that notified the NCAA that they intended to make the switch. UND was not on the list and they cannot make the notification until next Dec 1. That puts them one full year behind where they could have been, and two years behind NDSU and SDSU.

I am not so sure UND is going to make the switch, especially if the FB scholarships don't go down. My impression from all the articles is that they are positioning themselves to sell the argument that SDSU and NDSU just spent a ton of money and didn't really go anywhere if they don't move. In other words, not going to commit ourselves to anything at this time, which is probably smart as they don't have their studies in hand to let them know if they can make up for that lost time. I believe they already are having the studies done, even though I have nothing to base it on.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I dont know if we can read anything into what is on the UND agenda by the fact that they have pulled their bid for the D2Football championship game. U of North Alabama has done an excellent job of hosting this game and it would have taken some effort for UND and Grand Forks to wrestle this game away from UNA. UND does host the Elite 8 in D2 basketball this coming spring and I believe for two additional years after this spring.

http://new.in-forum.com/articles/ind...556§ion=Sports

Comment

Working...
              X