Questions for Fullerton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions for Fullerton

Well, I'm not sure Fullerton is "just a messenger" in this. First of all, he's paid a lot of money by those presidents to run their conference. I seriously doubt that he wasn't consulted about the decision.

And it's interesting to me that he's had a variety of stories about the presidents' reasons, depending on who he's talking to. When it's the Grand Forks Herald, it was all about travel distance. On KWSN, it's media markets. The Bisonville, Montana State, and Griz boards all have some discussion about how, during his tenure as commissioner, Fullerton has advocated adding large media markets in a belief that somehow the Big Sky would soon "break through" and suddenly be on the national radar.

If that has been his strategy in the past, maybe he wasn't our best buddy, looking out for us on this thing. The fact that Cal-Northridge (LA media market, now departed), Sacramento State, and Portland State were all added to the conference during Fullerton's tenure as commissioner suggests that maybe he is interested in large media markets primarily. Oh, and in addition to the other reasons he has given, he has told some media that UNC is being considered because it is near Denver. Hmmm.

Who knows? The point is that this has been handled very strangely by Fullerton from the beginning.

Comment

The AD's at SDSU and NDSU obviously have to say the right things and appear to not be resentful at the Big Sky. Lets face it this whole process was not handled very well. At the least SDSU and NDSU should have been able to host the selection team.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
        Just thought it might be a fun way to vent some frustration.
        Since I started this thread, I can say it has really gotten off track for the original intent.

Rabbit85-this was not supposed to be a serious discussion of why SDSU didn't make it to the next level of the process. Guess I was the only one that wanted this type of release. Guess it should have been on the SMACK board.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
          I think the key word offered by Fullerton is this ... consensus.   Fullerton said they were looking for consensus among the presidents of the BSC.  

Trying to get a consensus among academic types is like trying to take care of a tropical plant.  It's an extremely difficult thing to do.  
          Since I am in the process of relocating to Brookings, I spent the day hauling boxes to a storage area in Brookings and it gave an opporuntity to tune in two sports shows this morning KJJQ and the 1570 AM Vermillion station, plus Craig and Mike this afternoon when they had  Fullerton on the program. Alum Guy is correct as the consenus thing is what I heard too from Fullerton. The reason he said they went with this concept is that they felt there were potential 6-2 votes on some schools.  Fullerton did not disclose which ones. Fulleton said every school had a lobbist in the form of one of the Big Sky Presidents.  Again no details as who got support from who among the presidents.  He did say that there was concern about a 6-2 vote would cause the 2 schools to be angry if out voted.  This sounds kind of inconsistent since the two would most likely be Sac State and Portland State.  (I could be wrong.)

The rumors I have heard and one came from a very good source was that Sac State and PSU were on the verge of being kick out.  If the rumors about Sac state and PSU have substance, then why would the commissioner or anyone else worry about a 6-2 vote and the minority 2 getting angry? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

The big point about concensus seem not to make sense, or maybe Sac State and PSU are solid in the BSC and the rest of the members are concerned about them staying in the BSC. I tend to believe Sac State and PSU would be the two concerned about Geography and travleling to the Dakotas.

I would give several parts of my body to get my hands on the minutes of yesterday's meeting or if it was tapped, a copy of the tape.  Unless you were in the room or had a copy of the minutes, we have no idea what really went on in that meeting nor do we know who are friends and enemies are among the existing BSC member presidents.   8) 8) 8)

Comment

Working...
          X