DI Conference Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DI Conference Hunt

SoDak has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Comment

For those who are despairing, a reminder that this is what next year's men's basketball schedule looks like right now:

Home:
      Morningside
      SW Minnesota State
      UMKC
      Tennessee State
      Denver
      Butler
      Manhattan
      Southeast Missouri
      Wisconsin-Milwaukee
      (likely) NDSU
      Only 3-4 home games left to schedule to get a balanced home-away slate (one game might be non-D-I).

Away:
      Nebraska
      Montana State
      San Diego State
      Central Florida
      Marquette
      (likely) NDSU
      from 7-9 left to schedule, all will probably be D-I.

The lumps we're taking this year will pay off not only in D-I experience for our young team, but also in a much more attractive and interesting schedule next year.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It looks as if the DI indy "alliance", might end up becoming more than that. Gene Taylor was on the WDAY 6:00 news tonight, and stated that NDSU and SDSU might look at creating a conference with the indies. The lack of an autobid seemed to be of little concern, as none of the teams currently have one. :'(

Check out the video if you want at http://www.wday.com/

Click on the 6:00 news link, then get through the commercial, and then it's somewhere after the 20:00 minute mark.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
          It looks as if the DI indy "alliance", might end up becoming more than that. Gene Taylor was on the WDAY 6:00 news tonight, and stated that NDSU and SDSU might look at creating a conference with the indies. The lack of an autobid seemed to be of little concern, as none of the teams currently have one.  :'(

Check out the video if you want at http://www.wday.com/

Click on the 6:00 news link, then get through the commercial, and then it's somewhere after the 20:00 minute mark.
          Temporary solution, I trust. I'm not sure I understand the urgency of finding a BB conference if no autobid is involved. Is scheduling that difficults as an indy? I need some enlightenment.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm guessing that by forming a new conference it gives some of the schools security that they will have at least eight or so games for all sports on the schedule. It also provides stability and allows for schedules to be made up far in advance(I believe the GWFC is set until 2010). More than likely, it will be a temporary solution if the conference is formed.

Comment

A confederation of independents sounds like a great idea to me. The schools can make it as tight or loose as they want. It just about guarantees everyone is playing D-I competition and it will allow the SU's to showcase they're at the top of the independents. So, when conferences come looking -- and they will -- both SDSU and NDSU will be ready.

Comment

I think forming a new conference is a great idea. It would be a good temporary home for independent teams until they find a conference. The teams have a conference tournament, even if there is no autobid to the NCAA tournament.

Although the autobid could happen down the road - the men's tournament has 65 teams, with two of the teams having a "play-in" to make it to the field of 64. It would be easy to add one more.

But it really wouldn't matter, this conference would be a temporary home. It could survive long term that way, with teams entering and leaving, or having served its purpose, be folded after a few years.

Comment

We're in a five year probationary period anyway, so the auto bid is of little importance, In five years the conference landscape will again look completely diffrent than it does today. The new conf. thing works for me. I would enjoy the South Texas road swing every year!!(Tex AM-CC & Tex. Pan Am)

Comment

A conference also gives you something to play for. Even if you don't get an autobid (which has been pointed out, you won't be elligible for for a while), a conference trophy is something to look forward to.

Comment

I couldn't get the Fargo site to work. Which schools are we talking about the first 6 or all the current Independents?

SDSU
                      NDSU
                      Texas A&M Corpus Christie
                      Texas Pan American
                      IPFW
                      Utah Valley St.

Longwood
                      Savannah St.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I couldn't find anything on the WDAY web page. Does anyone have a link to a transcript? Just what was said?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentia
                          I couldn't find anything on the WDAY web page.  Does anyone have a link to a transcript?  Just what was said?
                          I don't know of any transcripts. The WDAY news is only archived until the following day's newscast.

I can't remember what they said. I think I remember Savannah St. being mentioned, but I could be wrong.

No autobid for another few years anyhow, so it looks good to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X