Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DI Conference Hunt

Default Re: DI Conference Hunt

KingCal, who is the admin. over at Collegesportsinfo.com had an interesting take on our Conf. hunt. Someone else from that board (I think it is also KingCal) had this post on anygivensaturday.com:

Yes, they very much are. Ideally, NDSU, SDSU and N. Colorado are hoping to gain full admission into the Mid-Con. Since Southern Utah is currently a member, the hope is that the Mid-Con will run the league. UCD, Cal-Poly, and St. Mary's would join as football-only members. Mid-Con football would greatly increase the chances of the NDSU, SDSU and N. Colorado gaining full membership. And once some semblence of profit is made by sponsoring football, the 4 football schools would be able to get some more leverage regarding future Mid-Con dealings.
    It's by no means a longshot...it is actually a preference right now. We won't know for a couple of weeks if the Mid-Con will have any interest. They'll probably need to see some fiscal projections, but form all records thus far, the football members seem willing to pay the Mid-Continent to manage the league.

http://www.anygivensaturday.org/cgi-...mp;thread=2420

My take is that it makes a lot of sense, and could be the direction that we are headed towards. Something to think about.

Go State! ;D

here is a thread that you bunnies may be interested in (it is on bisonville too)

http://mb3.theinsiders.com/futahstat...cID=4995.topic

Here is an article from the Grand Forks:

(http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...ts/7546959.htm

NDSU searches for games
    Bison keep working on their move to Division I
    By Dave Nilles
    Special to the Herald

FARGO - It's been 16 months since North Dakota State announced it plans to move up to NCAA Division I.

With less than a year left until the move officially begins, NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor is comfortable with where the school is at in the transition process.

The Bison still don't have a conference. But Taylor knew that wouldn't be easy. However, groundwork is under way to form a football-only conference.

Earlier this month, Taylor met with officials from five transitional Division I-AA schools in Las Vegas to plan the initial stages of a football-only conference involving NDSU, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado, St. Mary's (Calif.), Southern Utah, California Davis and California Poly- San Luis Obispo.

Taylor hasn't ruled out the Big Sky or Gateway conferences as possibilities for other sports.

"The major conferences are realizing that eight teams isn't where you want to be anymore," Taylor said. "If you are an automatic qualifier and lose a team you get nervous. The eight-member conference is becoming a dinosaur."

A conference must maintain seven members to be eligible to receive NCAA money from the Division I basketball tournament. The Big Sky and Gateway have eight each. Another conference possibility for the Bison, the Mid-Continent, has nine.

Recent conference shuffling in Division I may open doors for NDSU. . . .

Another NDSU obstacle may be overcome this spring when the NCAA decides whether to shorten the waiting period for sports to become eligible for postseason competition. Men's basketball may be shortened from 13 to five years.

"I'm confident it will go through," Taylor said.

Another piece of legislation may remove the waiting period entirely for individual sports, such as wrestling.

Taylor hopes the Bison have a conference by next fall or early winter.

Go SDSU!
    Go NDSU!

Here's some bald, unadulterated speculation.

Let's say that the Great West Football conference gets off the ground, and is run by the Mid-Continent conference similar to what the Missouri Valley does for the Gateway. This looks like it's going to happen.

Let's say that the tradition-laden GWC members make the appropriate positive impression on the Mid-Con league office, such that UNC, SDSU, and NDSU earn invites into the Mid-Con.

Somewhere along the line, the Mid-Con decides that Denver is a better fit for the conference than Centenary.

So what we'll have is a 12-team Mid-Continent Conference that looks like:
    East
    Chicago State
    IUPUI
    Oakland
    Oral Roberts
    Valparaiso
    Western Illinois
    West
    Denver
    North Dakota State
    Northern Colorado
    South Dakota State
    Southern Utah
    UMKC

I really like the look of this possible Mid-Con West . . . I remember a really fun Div. II playoff game with Denver in Frost Arena in 1992, and I think a UNC-Denver basketball rivalry would be just the thing for both Colorado schools' basketball programs. And what self-respecting, wise-cracking SportsCenter host could resist a twice-yearly Jackrabbit-Kangaroo matchup?
    "I think we'll be OK"

I too like the look of that Western Division. I think down the road the mid-cont could be a decent conference!

Tons going on with the Conference Hunt. Tons of Rumors about the Big Sky, Sac-State may be looking at the Big West and GWC, this might open the door for SDSU and NDSU.

I am watching the Mid-Con game of the week on Fox Net - Central (Oakland vs Chicago St.) and at half time the TV crew talked with Oakland's President Dr. Gary Russi. Dr. Russi said that expansion is a "hot topic" that the Mid-Con will be having meeting about soon. He said they would possible go to 12 teams and have divisional play "East-West".

I of course thought with 9 teams currently making up the Mid-Con, that leaves three spots for SDSU, NDSU, and UNC. Just an idea. By the way we would kill both Oakland and Chicago St. in Basketball!

Go State!

Interesting web page to check out www.freewebs.com/great_western_conf

Nice stadium at UC Davis. Coughlin Alumni could easily be structured in this fashion. We just need the bucks$$$$.

http://www.freewebs.com/great_wester...umpictures.htm
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

I agree Coughlin could easily take on this type of look. I think we really need to focus on generating dollars to enhance Coughlin.

Yes, Coughlin needs a major overhaul. But, before that is done the Athletic Department desperately needs to find a donor to plunk down about $1.5-$2 million dollars to erect a quality locker facility. Prospective student-athletes place great emphasis on locker facilities. They are great recruiting tools.

I'm assuming all of this is in the great plans spearheaded by Sid Bostic. But, first things first. We need to find $12-$14 million dollars for the scholarship endowment. As I understand it, there will be incremental increases in the number of scholarships offered by the various sports. For obvious reasons we are not able to make a jump from 36 full riders in football to 55 full rides.

This is why it is so frustrating knowing we have to do it on our own. There is so much that has to be done.

If political leaders were truly visionary, they would understand. Just recently, it was announced that Brookings had a 14% increase in sales tax revenue this past year. Do you know where that jump came from? I'll tell you where. It came as a result of hundreds of more students attending SDSU.

If the Regents, the Legislature, and the Governor want to see some real economic development, they would share a little of their fortune with a school that just made a gutty decision to go Division I. If they would do that, the sky is the limit.