Creighton - Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Creighton - Baseball

That was a heck of a catch in the Wichita St. vs OU game.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      I was a little surprised by it too, but I have purchased beer at Eck Stadium (on more then one occasion) myself.  I have heard rumors that beer is sold at some UNC events but can not confirm this through first hand knowledge.

Go State!  ;D
      Yes UNC does have beer at the football home games, but not at playoff games which the NCAA runs and their rules apply.  There is at least one Coors family member on the board of trustees for UNC, plus most likely the Coors Foundation contributed to the building of Nottingham Field.

They definitely do sell at home games and I recall one game where the SDSU alums keep the beer man very busy while our football team got pounded on the field. ;D ;D :

I do not have a good feel for the Colorado set-up for governing state assisted institutions but apparently each institute has its own board of trustees. It would explain how UNC had little problem in going to D1 since its own board of trustees made the decision.  If there is a board of regents, I am not sure how they fit in the organization scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
        I thought the NCAA prohibited beer sales at ALL events, I have never been to a college football or basketball game with beer sales.
        I have been to college sporting events where I have had a beer or two. I think it has to do with playoff or postseason (ran by the NCAA) and whether the venue is on campus or off campus, since some college campus or dry.

But then again, exceptions may apply!!!!!

Comment

I am not suggesting that SDSU should, but I would think if they could obtain a alcohol license, pouring license, what ever they need, that they could sell beer at Bob Sheldon Field for SDSU Baseball games.

Bob Sheldon Field is a city owned facility and I believe the first year the State Amateur baseball Tournament was host by the Cubs (now Cubbies) they sold beer at the tournament.

I would admit with the small foul ball territory and with bleachers so close to the field, Bob Sheldon Field could be a brutal place for visiting teams with fans sipping ;D on some liquid courage.
          We...ARE...STATE!
          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

The last Jacks game I attended at Bob Sheldon (I believe it was our first year playing there) you could bring in your on cooler.  The game was against Augie and there were plenty of rowdy SDSU students riding Augie players.

Does anyone know if it's still a BYOB kind of thing or did that get shut down?

Comment

I had heard recently that Montana raises a large portion of their scholarship money from selling beer at venues (namely football games). With the backyard open for alcohol consumption it would seem to me to be an excellent oportunity to partner with a distributor and sell beer to tailgaters to raise some money. Any thoughts?

Comment

At Creighton Basketball games at the Qwest Center they sell beer and Creighton is in the top 30 nationally for attendance. At Nebraska basketball games at the Devaney Center they do not sell beer and attendance is bad. Coincidence??? I don't think so.

Seriously, maybe it has nothing to do with beer sales, but I think beer sales would increase attendance and revenues. Who among us would not order a beer (or 10) while watching a game if it was an option

Comment

I would... probably closer to 10 :P

Comment

[quote author=Jacks-D1
                    Seriously, maybe it has nothing to do with beer sales, but I think beer sales would increase attendance and revenues.  Who among us would not order a beer (or 10) while watching a game if it was an option[/quote]

I'm not positive but I think I remember Budweiser was willing to either fund the new dome roof or build a whole new dome if USD would have sold beer at their athletic events. Obviously they chose not to do this, if this was true. However, I wish they would have. I think beer sales would really help the attendance and provide for a rowdier crowd, which in my opinion would be good--I'm sure not everyone feels that way though.

This all could have been rumor though.

Comment

Regarding beer sales, I think it's more of a South Dakota Board of Regents issue than and individual university issue. I could be wrong though, I'm sure someone else knows more about it than I.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                        Regarding beer sales, I think it's more of a South Dakota Board of Regents issue than and individual university issue.  I could be wrong though, I'm sure someone else knows more about it than I.
                        To the best of my knowledge, you are right.  It may be more than a policy by the BOR but a statute on the books. I know in the 1920's they passed a law barring college dances at state supported institutions, so no doubt booze was also included and mostly likely never repealled.

I dont think the current legislature nor the Board of Regents would budge on this one no matter how attractive the deal would be in terms of revenue.

Most of the professional franchises that do serve alchohol beverages have to had maintain good control over the sale and crowd.  Maybe most fans could consume a beer or two, and not even be noticed and probably could drive home safely too.  Others, well they will change  from Dr Jeykell into Mr. Hyde. : and create problems for others and themselves.

The NBA game last winter between Detriot and Indy that got ugly, no doubt was brought on by some fans who had drank too much or may have also been under the influence of other drugs besides beer bought at the game.

IMO, a department of health, physical eduation and recreation selling a legalized drug at athletic event sends the wrong message about physical fitness.

Comment

Working...
                        X