NDSU - Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU - Baseball

The Bison are coming to Brookings this weekend. They are having a tough time of it so far this season (2-25-1, not sure how you tie in baseball, and no D-I wins). I would like to see us sweep this home stand.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=116889

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison! ;D

Re: NDSU - Baseball

http://www.gojacks.com

Jacks host NDSU in weekend series

The South Dakota State University baseball team will open a three-game series Saturday against North Dakota State at Bob Shelden Field.

First pitch on Mark Ekeland Day is set for 2:35 p.m. The former Jackrabbit baseball coach and all-time victories leader at SDSU will be honored during a pre-game ceremony.

Sunday, SDSU and the Bison are scheduled to play a doubleheader, beginning at 2 p.m. A pre-game tailgate featuring free hot dogs begins at 1 p.m.

Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for students in grades K-12. SDSU students are admitted free with a valid student ID.

Mark did a great job with the Baseball program, I hope many Jackrabbit fans will join me at Saturday's game.

Comment

SDSU beat the Bison 10-1 today in baseball. Below is some of the info and the link to the story at gojacks.com

South Dakota State 10, North Dakota State 1
      North Dakota State ... 000 010 000 - 1 8 3
      South Dakota State ... 511 000 30x - 10 10 0
      Shane Bushfield, Brandon Goltz (2), Matt Erzar (7), Neil Wagner (7) and Kole Zimmerman; Tyson Bothof and Kyle Sytsma. WP-Bothof (2-4), LP-Bushland (0-3), Sv-none. HR-None.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,4257

Comment

Here is the Argus Story on the Baseball game.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1002/SPORTS

SDSU honors coach, downs NDSU baseball
        Chris Solari
        csolari@argusleader.com

published: 04/17/05

BROOKINGS - Saturday was the kind of day baseball purists detest - a rainy morning, followed by lingering clouds that threatened more moisture.

Mark Ekeland used to dread those kind of afternoons, worrying about cancellations and rescheduling games. These days, however, he considers them every bit as much a gift as the 75-degree, sunny and clear ones.

South Dakota State honored its former baseball coach with a plaque and a decree from Gov. Mike Rounds. But the Jackrabbits' 10-1 victory over visiting North Dakota State provided the best tribute to Ekeland, who retired before last season and had a liver transplant in August.

"You don't ever expect something like this to happen. To have the governor sign proclamation, that's pretty special," 53-year-old Ekeland said. "But probably the biggest thrill is to have so many players back. That's so rewarding for the years of service you put into coaching."

About 40 former Jackrabbit players returned to Bob Shelden Field to join the 416 fans at the game. Rounds declared Saturday Mark Ekeland Day across the state, celebrating the former skipper's 20 seasons and, most importantly, the impact he made on baseball players in South Dakota.

"He's been through a lot in his life, and I'm glad he made it," said Chet Meyer, who played for SDSU from 1987-90 and now lives in Shakopee, Minn. "He's a real special man to me. "

Emotion from the pregame ceremony carried over to the field quickly for SDSU (8-24). The Jacks scored five times in the first inning, punctuated by a two-run single by sophomore shortstop Chris Iverson from Pierre.

Seven runs in the first three innings was more than enough for Tyson Bothof. The senior, who transfered to SDSU from Kansas this year, tossed a complete-game eight-hitter, striking out eight and walking none.

"We've talked all season long about pitching and playing defense for nine innings," first-year Jackrabbit coach Reggie Christiansen said. "I don't know how many times that's happened this year."

Nick Adams had three hits and drove in four runs and Tim Hanigan added three hits for SDSU, which also played error-free baseball.

The win certainly meant a lot to the alumni, but not as much as seeing Ekeland healthy again.

Ekeland arrived in Brookings in 1984 and led the Jacks to the NCAA Division II Championships in California that season. The Rapid City native went 561-345-2 with the Jacks and earned five North Central Conference Coach of the Year awards. SDSU won five NCC titles in his time.

The 1973 Augustana grad, who is SDSU's career leader in coaching victories, was forced to go on medical leave by his doctor just before the start of the 2004 season because of primary biliary cirrhosis - a liver disease.

Though he was able to attend many of the Jacks' games last season, Ekeland's health was deteriorating. After struggling for months to find a donor, doctors determined his wife's first cousin, Karen Marchetti, was a match. He underwent the transplant on Aug. 10 at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., after about 10 years of dealing with the liver problem.

"What a miracle that has come my way through the generous gift of a donor," said Ekeland, his blue eyes sparkling. "What an angel, I guess you'd have to call her. Not too many people can step forward and put their life on the line to give you life basically over again."

Ekeland has been taking anti-rejection medication for the new liver, which he says has been working well. In January, he went back to work at SDSU, where he has resumed full-time duty in the school's intramural department.

"He's the nicest guy in the world," senior first baseman Greg Geary said. "It's just a good day for him."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Copyright 2005 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

Comment

I take care of a lot of these patients in the ICU immediately after their transplant and its amazing how well most of them do. The surgeons, ICU docs, nurses and support staff here at Mayo are committed to providing the best care possible, but even all of that can't explain the success Coach has had. I give most of the credit to prayers, support from family/friends and most importantly God.

What a great day for Coach. He returns to the field on his day, the team plays with heart and desire storming to a victory and he continues on towards his ultimate destiny. Again today, I've never been more proud to be a Jackrabbit.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Up next for the Jackrabbits, our old buddies the Bison of NDSU.  After sweeping them in Brookings it is time to travel to Fargo.  Good luck lets keep it going!

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison!  ;D

Comment

It has been a long year for the Bison, they did win their first D-I game last weekend beating UNI, but still a long year.  I am sure they are going to be pumped up to play their new rivals, SDSU.  We beat them in Football, we beat them 2 out of 3 in Men's Basketball and we lead them 3 games to 0 in Baseball.  Keep it up Jacks!  8)

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=118571

North Dakota State Continues Six-Game Home Stand vs. South Dakota State This Weekend

North Dakota State (3-32-1) is scheduled to continue its six-game home stand this weekend with a four-game series against South Dakota State (13-29) at Newman Outdoor Field (4,509). The teams will play a doubleheader Saturday, April 30, beginning at 1 p.m. and another doubleheader Sunday, May 1, beginning at noon.  .  .  .

Comment

Top of the 3rd in game 1

SDSU 1 - NDSU 0

On a Pat Farrell home run! 8)

Comment

Bottom of the 5th

SDSU 4 - NDSU 0

Greg Geary hit a homer to right center, I believe that ties him with Billy McMacken for the all time home run record at State (42)!  8)

Tyson Bothof is on fire, he has 7 Ks already!

Comment

Final of Game 1

SDSU 8 - NDSU 1

Tyson Bothof throws a complete game with 9 Ks, Greg Geary hits a HR, Pat Farrell hits (2) HRs.

Go Jackrabbits!  ;D

Comment

Way to go JACKS !!!!

I just juggled my schedule around so I could be at the Friday May 13th. game against SIU in Carbondale, IL. Looking forward to seeing the team play in person!!

Comment

Game 2

Bottom of the 5th

SDSU 5 - NDSU 0

Comment

Game 2 Final

SDSU 7 -  NDSU 0

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,4302

Baseball Sweeps NDSU

FARGO, N.D. - South Dakota State slugged four home runs and got two excellent pitching performances in sweeping North Dakota State, 8-1 and 7-0, Saturday at Newman Outdoor Field.

Senior first baseman Greg Geary tied the SDSU record for career home runs, hitting his 42nd in the opener. That ties him with Billy McMacken (1987-90). Geary also broke the Jackrabbit career at-bat record during the opener, erasing Doug Sehr’s old mark of 647 (1991-94). Geary’s current total is 652.

In the opener, the Bison had opportunities, but left 11 runners stranded thanks to the pitching of senior Tyson Bothof.

Bothof scattering just three hits in the win. He struck out nine while walking five en route to his third victory of the season, his second over NDSU.

Senior Pat Farrell, who had not homered all season, hit two long balls for the Jacks. He went 3-for-4 in game one, started the scoring with a solo home run to lead off the second.

Farrell then led off the fourth with a base hit, and moved to second on Kasey Keller’s sacrifice bunt. After Chris Iverson singled and stole second, Korby Mintken singled through the right side, plating both Farrell and Iverson for a 3-0 lead.

Geary put SDSU ahead 4-0 in the fifth with his record-tying home run, a solo blast to right.

North Dakota State would push a run across in their half of the fifth, but that would be all the offense for the Bison.

SDSU added some insurance for Bothof in the seventh. First Mintken came home on a wild pitch, then the Jacks added more two-out offense. Geary singled, and Nick Adams walked, setting the stage for Farrell’s second home run of the day, a three-run shot to right, giving the Jacks their final runs in the 8-1 victory.

In the nitecap, Francisco Torres outdid Bothof by shutting out NDSU. Torres allowed four hits-all singles-and struck out three in the win.

The Jacks again jumped out to an early lead, scoring in the first. Tim Hanigan led off the game with a walk, advanced to second on a wild pitch and moved up to third on Tony Lane’s sacrifice bunt. Two batters later, Adams singled up the middle to give SDSU the lead.

SDSU broke the game open in the fifth, plating four runs. Mintken drew a walk to start the inning, and following an out, Lane was hit by a pitch. Geary plated Mintken on an RBI single, and after a wild pitch and a strike out, Farrell singled home Geary and Lane. A two-out error allowed Farrell to score, giving SDSU a 5-0 lead.

Chris Iverson, who went 4-for-5 in the doubleheader, rounded out the scoring with a two-run homer in the seventh. Adams, who started the inning with his third single of the game, scored on the homer.

Game two was delayed 53 minutes due to a water main break in left field.

The Jacks outhit the Bison 22-7 in the doubleheader, improving to 15-29. NDSU dropped to 3-34-1.

SDSU will look to sweep both the weekend and season series Sunday, as they take on the Bison in another twinbill. SDSU is 5-0 this season vs. NDSU, taking a three-game set in Brookings April 16-17. First pitch is scheduled for noon in Fargo.

South Dakota State 8, North Dakota State 1
                          South Dakota State 010 210 4 8-12-4
                          North Dakota State 000 010 0 1-3-0
                          Tyson Bothof and Kyle Sytsma; Derek Ford, Ryan Williams (7) and Gavin Hofer. WP - Bothof (3-5). LP - Ford (1-2). HR - SDSU: Geary (9), Farrell 2 (2). NDSU: none.

South Dakota State 7, North Dakota State 0
                          South Dakota State 100 040 2 7-10-1
                          North Dakota State 000 000 0 0-4-1
                          Francisco Torres and Kyle Sytsma. Jake Laber, Tom Branca (6), Pat Thielke (7), Neil Wagner (7) and Gavin Hofer. WP - Torres (2-6). LP - Laber (1-4). HR - SDSU: Iverson (1).

Great first day showing, two more tomorrow.

Comment

The Bison baseball team is REALLY struggling this year, It's unlike any team from NDSU to have this bad of a year, is do to injuries? rebuilding? I'm just curous. I'm sure some of our Bison posters can shed some light on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                              The Bison baseball team is REALLY struggling this year, It's unlike any team from NDSU to have this bad of a year, is do to injuries? rebuilding? I'm just curous. I'm sure some of our Bison posters can shed some light on this.

From what I've heard, it's a very young team (more starters are freshman than not).

There's also a thread on bisonville calling for the coaches' head. :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X