Jacks @ Drake Relays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks @ Drake Relays

Brad Lowery won the 5000m and the womens 4x1600 got 5th today.

Way to go Jacks

to see the results go to:

http://www.drakerelays.org/

Re: Jacks @ Drake Relays

Here is more info:

http://www.gojacks.com

Lowery wins 5K at Drake Relays

DES MOINES, Iowa -- South Dakota State University distance running standout Brad Lowery opened the Drake Relays in impressive fashion Thursday, claiming the individual title in the men's open 5,000-meter race.

"Usually I have a good finish," Lowery said. "Today I kept up in the pack and cruised the last mile. I always try to save something for the end and today I had it."

Lowery, a senior from Pierre, crossed the finish line in 14 minutes, 0.24 seconds, two seconds ahead of Patrick Mutai of Texas-El Paso. Lowery will try for his second event title Saturday in the 1,500-meter run.

In other competition Thursday, the Jackrabbit women's 4x1,600-meter relay team finished fifth out of 13 teams. The team of Becka Mansheim, Shannon Hattervig, Krystie Ratzlaff and Sheena Dauer clocked a time of 20:02.92, finishing ahead of the likes of Kansas, Vanderbilt (Tenn.) and Iowa. Michigan won the race in a time of 19:19.07.

The Drake Relays continue Friday with the SDSU women's distance medley team and men's javelin thrower Lucas Dietterle scheduled to compete. A larger contingent of Jackrabbit athletes is slated to compete Friday at the Simpson Twilight Open in Indianola, Iowa.

We also had a nice showing last week at the Kansas Relays, with Naoyuki Asano winning the 10,000 meters. It is good to see the track team is doing well against D-I competition. Coach DeHaven and his staff are doing a nice job.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Brad's time set the school record for 5,000, eclipsing Joel Brandt's record set in about 1981 (going from my failing memory).

Lowery was running in about 13th place with a mile to go. He worked his way up to third and then, as they approached the final lap bell, second. With a lap to go and a 20-30 meter deficit, he really took off and I'm told his last 400 meters was probably in the :57 range.

I had a telephone report when the race was finished and its sounds impressive.

A couple weeks ago in a 1500 at the Mt. Sac Relays, Brad and a great runner from Adams State got tangled up at the start and Brad went down hard. The started the race over but I'm sure his mind wasn't as focused as it should be. He had a pretty good mark on his hip from the fall.

Next week at the Howard Wood Relays, watch for Lowery in a special mile. If conditions are right, they're going to try to run the run sub-4 mile on SD soil. If he gets it done, he'll be the third South Dakotan to run under 4 (the first two are Watertown's Steve Heidenreich running for the U of Indiana, and Madison's Jeff Schemmel, running for Kansas State, both in the early 70s).

Comment

Poor proofreading.

To clarify: At the Mt. Sac Relays, Brad was poised to run a great 1500 but because of the fall and the restart, he finished in the middle of the pack.

At Howard Wood Relays, the plan is to attempt to be the first runner to go under 4 minutes in the mile on SD soil.

Comment

JDJack:
          Thanks for the great update. For those of us who are not followers of the sport track, it great to get this kind of insight and details. There is no doubt Brad Lowery is one of all time greats. I hope he can finish under 4 at the Howard Relays.

Comment

Another big day for Brad Lowery.

http://www.gojacks.com

Lowery wins again at Drake

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Brad Lowery claimed his second event title and second school record at the Drake Relays Saturday, edging two runners at the finish line to win the men's 1,500-meter run.

A senior from Pierre, Lowery clocked a winning time of 3 minutes, 47.48 seconds, bettering the previous SDSU record of 3:47.92 set by current Jackrabbit coach Rod DeHaven in 1987.

The top three runners were separated by .51 seconds as Peter van der Westhuizen of Nebraska placed second in 3:47.77 and Brent Wilberts of Drake was third in 3:47.99.

Lowery opened the Drake Relays Thursday by winning the 5,000-meter run in a school-record time of 14:00.24. . . .

The Jackrabbits continue the outdoor season May 6-7 at the Howard Wood Dakota Relays in Sioux Falls.

Go State! ;D

Comment

The story stating Brad Lowery set a new school record in the 1500 is incorrect. DeHaven holds the school record at 3:40.15 Lowery has run 3:42. Even so, his 3:47 against good competition in less-than-ideal weather at Drake is remarkable.

The 3:40 school record by Coach DeHaven is equivalent to about a 3:57 or 3:58 mile.

In the right conditions, Brad will get the school record.

Brad charged from the middle of the pack in the final lap to challenge for and then take the lead away from Nebraska's top miler.

If anyone continues to have doubts about the D-1 move, watch an SDSU uniform in a footrace to the finish among uniforms from Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Texas, UTEP (Kenyans) etc. That alone will convince you.

Comment

It was nice to see Brad Lowrey's name with SOUTH DAKOTA STATE after it in the track section of the Dallas Morning News today!!

Comment

If anyone continues to have doubts about the D-1 move, watch an SDSU uniform in a footrace to the finish among uniforms from Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Texas, UTEP (Kenyans) etc. That alone will convince you.

Lowery ran very well at Drake amongst some great competition. Not to detract, but one athlete does not make a team and the team moved to DI. NDSU had a great team showing on the men's and women's side. The SDSU team did not do much else.

Comment

Sportsfan is correct...the Jacks need to rebuild the track program. But I watched the SDSU uniform in cross country D-1 meets and we're there in that sport. We can get there in track (need facilities!).

Comment

I have visited with a couple of SDSU alums who are cross country and track fans. Their thoughts on the DI move are to build a strong cross country team that can compete nationally and then use those athletes to spill over to the distance races in track. For the men's program suplement it with some football players as sprinters and in the weight events.
                      They feel it just takes too much in terms of scholarships and facilities to try and be competitive at every event in track. By combining the scholarships for the two programs the Jacks could get more bang for their buck.

Comment

Working...
                      X