• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $$$$ for SDSU Nursing program

Here are highlights from a Black Hills Today story:

http://blackhillsportal.com/npps/story.cfm?id=896

Relief for South Dakotas Nursing Shortage Within Sight
    Thune announces $266,972 grant to SDSU College of Nursing

Washington, D.C. - Senator John Thune announced today that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services awarded a $266,972 grant to the South Dakota State University College of Nursing as part of the Health Resources and Services Administration Advanced Education Nursing Grants program. . . .

“We are proud to see South Dakota State University receive national recognition through the funding of its nursing program” Thune said. “These funds will assist SDSU as it continues to provide top-rate nursing programs and opportunities to undergraduate, graduate and continuing education students in South Dakota.”

Go State! ;D

Re: $$$$ for SDSU Nursing program

As the husband of an SDSU nursing grad, I am glad to see their program will continue to produce outstanding nurses.

However, this will provide very little relief to the South Dakota nursing shortage. McKennan and Sioux Valley hospitals do not pay their nurses well at all. After graduation, my wife and I both lived in Kansas City, and I can tell you that her pay was approximately 25% higher down there than what she is making now in Sioux Falls.

Until South Dakota's larger hospitals decide to anti-up and pay nurses on a comparable scale to surrounding larger cities, we will continue to lose our fine SDSU nurses to the Minneapolis, Denver, and Kansas City's of the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867
      As the husband of an SDSU nursing grad, I am glad to see their program will continue to produce outstanding nurses.

However, this will provide very little relief to the South Dakota nursing shortage.  McKennan and Sioux Valley hospitals do not pay their nurses well at all.  After graduation, my wife and I both lived in Kansas City, and I can tell you that her pay was approximately 25% higher down there than what she is making now in Sioux Falls.

Until South Dakota's larger hospitals decide to anti-up and pay nurses on a comparable scale to surrounding larger cities, we will continue to lose our fine SDSU nurses to the Minneapolis, Denver, and Kansas City's of the nation.
      This is a fact. I'm covering the ICU this month at Mayo and several of the nurses are SD natives, graduates of SD nursing schools and former employees of the Sioux Falls hospitals. They are now at Mayo because of the excellent benefits and better salary. Rochester is very similar to Sioux Falls from a cost of living standpoint but salaries for nurses and paraprofessionals are much better here.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Salaries are certainly better but factor in the high Minnesota tax rate and the gap isn't so big.

Comment

Perhaps if the two Sioux Falls hospitals stopped their ridiculous competition to become the "real" University Medical Center, they might take better care of their nurses and, therefore, their patients as well.

Comment

Working...
          X