ESPN Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN Poll

I have to laugh a little...I'm sitting here offended that some (likely) USD fan figured out an automated method for voting and that seems unfair when I only voted about 40 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
      USD's athletic director sent an e-mail to USD alumni encouraging them to vote.  I've seen the e-mail.

It's nice to hear that usd's AD can come up with a great idea such as encouraging alumi to vote in an ESPN poll. I suppose one needs time away from funding and other issues at that instituition.

I would think a more productive use of time would be to e-mail alumni encouraging them to donate. Just an idea..

Comment

Keep a few things in perspective:

USD alums are generally not inclined to follow athletics, why should they be. Very few will be watching ESPN tomorrow.

Anyone who has been to both the DakotaDome and Frost arena knows which is a better venue.

Mandy Koupal played at SDSU.

As for Tom Brokaw, that response alone should invalidate the entire poll.

Finally, under-handed behavior is exactly what you should expect from USD and their alumni when it comes to athletics.

Let this be USD's shining moment, they need a few. It might offset a loss at Crookston to open the FB season.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree this might be USD's only brief trip to the limelight and hope they enjoy it.

Comment

I'm a new member and this will be my first post...GO JACKS!

On this voting nonsense, I've heard that USD's football coach has made his players vote as part of the first day of fall camp. Notice USD's Football votes compared to USD's Basketball votes and the big reason why they have jumped so.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
              From 9:22 pm last night (8/8) to 8:30 am this morning (8/9), 5,317 votes were cast.  That is about 480 an hour.  Some people don't sleep.
              Ballot stuffing is the reason for the current trend. 500 identical votes/hour = a computer program. No further debate necessary. Enjoy the show tomorrow night.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Ballot stuffing is the reason for the current trend.  500 identical votes/hour = a computer program.  No further debate necessary.  Enjoy the show tomorrow night.
                This ballot stuffing by USD makes me sick. Nevermind the fact that I've now voted well over 1,000 times for SDSU things, because that is alright. However, from talking to other SDSU fans I'm not the only one to stuff the ballot box, obviously USD is doing the same. I hope they are anyway, I hate to think that they are getting that many different votes from people.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                  Keep a few things in perspective:

As for Tom Brokaw, that response alone should invalidate the entire poll.
                  I've met Tom Brokaw a couple of times. I have never met a more arrogant, elitist, know-it-all in my life. Real historians derisively refer to him as the "haircut who invented history."

Comment

Regarding the usefulness of these "polls" take a look at the Iowa poll.

Iowa football's 8-0, Big Ten Championship, Orange Bowl in 2002 is second to last.
                    Iowa vs. Iowa State football (clearly the biggest rivalry in the state... nothing else is close) is third.
                    Nile Kinnick, Heisman Trophy winner who died a war hero is third. Fred Hoiberg (I'm not kidding) leads that category.

So basically, these things are a test of who can game the system. No surprise. When ESPN designed them, they wanted to drive traffic to their Web site. They didn't want to measure real responses. If they wanted legitimate, albeit unscientific, results, they would have put a one vote limit per IP address or at least would have set a cookie once people voted once.

Comment

Originally posted by BDSUPERJACK
                      I'm a new member and this will be my first post...GO JACKS!

On this voting nonsense, I've heard that USD's football coach has made his players vote as part of the first day of fall camp.  Notice USD's Football votes compared to USD's Basketball votes and the big reason why they have jumped so.
                      Sounds like a great way to spend time on the first day of camp. At SDSU, we were usually too busy testing and going to meetings. You know, the things that helped us DOMINATE usd for the past 15 years.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit

Iowa football's 8-0, Big Ten Championship, Orange Bowl in 2002 is second to last.
                        Iowa vs. Iowa State football (clearly the biggest rivalry in the state... nothing else is close) is third.
                        Nile Kinnick, Heisman Trophy winner who died a war hero is third. Fred Hoiberg (I'm not kidding) leads that category.

So basically, these things are a test of who can game the system. No surprise. When ESPN designed them, they wanted to drive traffic to their Web site. They didn't want to measure real responses. If they wanted legitimate, albeit unscientific, results, they would have put a one vote limit per IP address or at least would have set a cookie once people voted once.
                        On the Wyoming poll, they listed Jay Novacek who ended up an All-Pro TE for Dallas in the mid-Ninites as a homegrown athlete.  One problem, he's from Nebraska.  Jay played TE at UW before going on to play for Arizona and big D in the NFL.

Comment

I'm not arguing to the accuracy of the poll, but I don't know if the fact that Fred Hoiberg leads that category is the result of people submitting multiple votes. Fred was very popular in Iowa, they didn't call him the mayor for nothing. He is a God in Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

I'm not arguing to the accuracy of the poll, but I don't know if the fact that Fred Hoiberg leads that category is the result of people submitting multiple votes.  Fred was very popular in Iowa, they didn't call him the mayor for nothing.  He is a God in Iowa.
                            As an Iowa alum, I beg to differ. I'll bet Iowa State fans love him. And I'm sure everyone in Iowa hopes he gets well soon. But is he the most important homegrown sports figure? No way.

I'm betting somebody has fixed that poll. How else could Iowa State vs. Kansas basketball be the top rivalry?

Comment

You guys are too much. I get such a kick out of reading your guys' posts. When all you guys were stuffing the ballot box you bragged about Jackrabbit nation making their voice heard and JBNJBQ was telling everyone how you could vote more than once. Now that USD has made a comeback in the voting and surpassed SDSU in several of the categories you guys are bitching like hell about it, and insists that they are stuffing the ballot box as well. All of a sudden you don't care at all about winning the ESPN poll. It's funny you weren't saying that a couple of weeks ago when you were leading big. I haven't put much stock in the poll from the beginning. I voted once and called it good. You guys have voted numerous times, encouraged others to do the same, and dedicated a thread to talking about the poll. It's obviously a big deal to you guys. I'm thinking about submitting some votes on behalf of SDSU just because I would feel bad for you guys if you do lose all the categories. It appears to be pretty important to many of you.

Comment

As an Iowa alum, I beg to differ.
                                I thought you were an SDSU alum? ??? Did you go to Grad school in Iowa or what?

Comment

Working...
                                X